Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltz Fest 2021 Behind Closed Doors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mullins planning full festival team in hope worst of pandemic will be over

https://www.racingpost.com/news/memb...ttalion/466915

I have highlighted the most important sentence IMO below (from Horse Racing Ireland chief executive Brian Kavanagh):

*"It looks like travel will require PCR tests, which were already a part of the system for jockeys competing in Group or Graded races abroad, so we'll digest today's information over the next day or two with [IHRB senior medical officer] Dr Jennifer Pugh and see where we're going with that."

FULL TEXT BELOW

The meeting's leading trainer saddled 56 runners over the four days last year

Willie Mullins is optimistic that the public health situation will have improved markedly in Britain and Ireland by March and is adopting a best-case scenario approach to his Cheltenham Festival plans.

While Covid-19 restrictions in Ireland were tightened further on Wednesday afternoon, Horse Racing Ireland chief executive Brian Kavanagh welcomed confirmation that the sport can continue behind closed doors.

The travel ban between Britain and Ireland has been extended until midnight on Friday and anyone arriving into the country from Britain or South Africa after that point will be required to provide a negative PCR test within the 72 hours before travelling and will have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.

Gordon Elliott confirmed to the Racing Post on Wednesday afternoon that the travel ban would not be lifted in time for his two entries in the Grade 1 Coral Finale Juvenile Hurdle to travel to Chepstow on Saturday.

However, Mullins, who saddled seven winners from 56 runners at last year's meeting, is optimistic of travelling a similar number of horses to Cheltenham in March.

The festival's leading trainer said: "I spoke to Cheltenham yesterday morning confirming that we're all set to come over. I'm hoping, like a lot of people are, that we might be over the worst of the pandemic by then. Cheltenham is ten weeks from yesterday and I hope it'll be a whole different scenario in four to six weeks' time."

He added: "We're not changing anything at this point. We're continuing as normal and hoping the health situation in both countries will improve dramatically once these lockdowns take effect."

Asked if he might replicate what Aidan O'Brien did last summer by basing a number of stable staff in Britain to cater for runners across the sea, Mullins said: "No, definitely not. I need my staff here. That was a totally different scenario.

"Aidan was going to have runners there throughout the summer. This is one meeting that we're going over for. Like most other trainers, I need my staff to work at home."

Mullins added: "We'll tackle Cheltenham when it comes around but I wouldn't be dreaming of sending them over beforehand.

"I'd be looking at the thing positively. We'll keep negative thoughts to the back of our minds and keep motoring on with a positive attitude for the moment. It's not a problem until it presents itself as a problem."

Rising numbers of Covid-19 cases in Ireland, where there are now more people in hospital than at the peak of the first wave, prompted the government to introduce more stringent measures on Wednesday. Schools will now be closed until February, with some exemptions for children with special educational needs and Leaving Certificate students, and non-essential construction work will also cease on Friday evening.

Kavanagh said the Irish racing authorities will digest the implications of the new requirements in relation to travel over the coming days.

"It's obviously positive to be able to continue and we look forward to doing so," he said. "It probably reflects the work that everyone has put in in relation to the protocols and adherence to those."

Among the elements to be examined is whether the elite sportsperson agreement that allows jockeys to compete in Group and Graded races in Britain without quarantining will be able to continue.

Kavanagh added: "It looks like travel will require PCR tests, which were already a part of the system for jockeys competing in Group or Graded races abroad, so we'll digest today's information over the next day or two with [IHRB senior medical officer] Dr Jennifer Pugh and see where we're going with that."

The enhanced lockdown restrictions are set to be reviewed at the end of the month but Tanaiste Leo Varadkar noted on Wednesday: "If I was running a business right now I'd be considering the possibility that I'd be closed until the end of March."

Should that scenario come to fruition, already hard-hit betting shops could be facing the prospect of a Cheltenham Festival without any retail outlets open.

Comment

• Alex Chalk expects a 'very decent' amount of Irish runners in March

Last year, 181 Irish runners participated at the Cheltenham Festival, making up 39 per cent of the field sizes. There were also four runners from France in the Cross Country Chase, while Big Blue, who finished 19th in the Martin Pipe, was registered to Australian trainers Ciaron Maher and David Eustace.

However, even in the current climate, Chalk insists both the racecourse and town are confident of attracting a similar amount of international raiders at this year's meeting.

"There were a lot of fears about what would happen post-Brexit with Irish horses coming over, but they can be allayed," he added. "I'd want it to be as full and international a festival that's consistent with public health guidelines – whatever they can put on they should.

"I'd anticipate as long as it remains crowd-free there ought to be a very decent number of runners and riders. They'll need to be accommodated, but my understanding is that it can be done in a Covid-secure way."

Last year, the decision not to cancel the Cheltenham Festival was highly criticised with England forced into lockdown on March 23, just ten days after Gold Cup Friday. Chalk worked closely in the decision-making at that time.

Chalk said of last year: "My strong memory of that time was that people were very ambivalent as to whether it should be going ahead.

"I specifically asked the issue of the Cheltenham Festival to be placed on the agenda for a Cobra cabinet meeting – such was my concern about whether this was given specific attention. It was given that attention and the advice at the time was that it was the sensible way to proceed."

Comment

• The good news is that travesty of an article by Richard Forristal, which is mostly conjecture and bullshit re Irish runners not coming over, seems to be a minority view.

Willie is confident rules will be made by the HRI re travel, and the quotes from HRI Chief Exec can be interpreted very positively re logistics being carried out in the a Covid-secure way

The Cheltenham MP sounds confident Irish runner numbers will be high because arrangements can be made in a Covid-secure way.

It sounds like sporting bodies and politicians are on the same page re long term plans for Cheltenham. The right people are making the right noises and I think we'll know a lot more in the next 10-15 days

Comment

• The end of the Irish travel ban this weekend should bring with it the end of fears that Covid-19 could somehow prevent Irish runners from lining up at the Cheltenham Festival in March. While those concerns were natural amid the worrying news and fast-changing rules of the past fortnight, I understand senior figures in the sport in Ireland regard the real risk as being essentially nil and are inclined to think of the issue as a non-story.
          Ireland’s ban on inward travel from Britain was extended by another 48 hours on Wednesday but will end at midnight on Friday, making travel between the two countries possible once more, albeit subject to heavy restrictions. It appears the change will come just too late for the runners Gordon Elliott had hoped to send to Chepstow on Saturday. Most bookmakers have now removed his unbeaten pair, Quilixios and Duffle Coat, from betting on the Finale Juvenile Hurdle, for which they had been available at 9-4 and 4-1 respectively.
          However, it is expected that Horse Racing Ireland’s advice to trainers will change with the end of the travel ban, so that Irish trainers will once more be allowed to send runners over to Britain. Staff who travel over with the horses will clearly have to comply with the restrictions being imposed from Saturday, requiring a negative PCR test for Covid-19 at the point of re-entry into Ireland, followed by a period of self-isolation.
          That need for self-isolation means the new restrictions are a headache for Elliott and Willie Mullins, who are both in the habit of bringing several-dozen runners to each Festival, the two of them combining to win half of all races in that week last year. Those horses take plenty of looking after and it hardly seems likely the meticulous pair would entrust care of their stars to British-based hirelings for the sport’s biggest week.

Any staff returning from Britain could be prevented from working for as long as a fortnight, creating a late-March headache for Elliott and Mullins, who will also have large numbers of horses to be prepared for spring meetings at Fairyhouse, Aintree and Punchestown. But does anyone imagine that will stop them making determined raids on Festival races?
          Conceivably, it may sharpen their focus, so that they leave at home any horse whose chance was no more than speculative. Surely there will be no ‘social’ runners from Ireland at this Festival. There will be fewer visitors but the ones who come over will demand respect.
          Alarmed speculation caused by the travel ban, introduced in the days before Christmas, has included a back-page story in an Irish tabloid in recent days. Some punters have considered whether it might create a betting angle in races like the Mares Hurdle, for which the top three in bookmakers’ lists are Irish-based.
          But, as things stand, such talk seems unjustified. One insider summed it up: “It must be a quiet week.” - Guardian

Comment

• Fantastic read that. Sounds like all systems go re the Irish looks highly highly likely.

I know its shit we can't be there but I am still buzzing about it simply being on!

Comment

• Fantastic news. Bring it on !!!!

Comment

• Kevin Blake on the morning show seems pretty positive with Irish horses

Ladbrokes and Coral the only ones not to commit to a justice refund

Comment

• Yes Kevin Blake seemed very positive indeed. Made me feel more positive at this stage anyway.

Comment

• Nick Luck says BHA have no indication of a shutdown from DCMS. and are surprised by rumours.

Comment

• Racing Post main headline

'Racing continues' - BHA and government sources move to quash shutdown rumours

Government officials have moved to quash rumours that an imminent stoppage of elite sport in Britain is planned, the Racing Post understands.

Officials from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) are believed to have told racing that no formal meetings concerning a shutdown of sport have taken place.

Since Sunday afternoon, rumours have circulated widely on social media suggesting that the government was poised to order a halt to sport. These have not been substantiated by the Racing Post in conversations with several senior industry sources.

Also on Monday morning, the official BHA Twitter account tweeted "British racing continues behind closed doors this week", with a list of the meetings due to take place on the first two days of the week.

According to reports in several national newspapers, however, the government is concerned about adherence to Covid-19 restrictions in football, with several scenes from matches over the weekend – including videos of dressing-room celebrations – causing consternation.
                      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Looks like as expected, they are taking it week by week, unless I’m looking too much into it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Geordieboy83 View Post
                          Looks like as expected, they are taking it week by week, unless I’m looking too much into it?
                          It would make sense if instead of considering bans on a sport then decided to ban the individual players from being allowed to play if they breach COVID rules. (Man City’s Benjamin Mendy springs to mind, for his idiocy at NYE).
                          I don’t think the Government ought to leave it to Man City or anyone else to decide on these cases, should be a months ban from the privilege of being in the Elite Sport bubble.

Same goes for racing.

That could protect us a little more from any wide scale shutdown for a defined time period.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                            Racing Post main headline

'Racing continues' - BHA and government sources move to quash shutdown rumours

Government officials have moved to quash rumours that an imminent stoppage of elite sport in Britain is planned, the Racing Post understands.

Officials from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) are believed to have told racing that no formal meetings concerning a shutdown of sport have taken place.

Since Sunday afternoon, rumours have circulated widely on social media suggesting that the government was poised to order a halt to sport. These have not been substantiated by the Racing Post in conversations with several senior industry sources.

Also on Monday morning, the official BHA Twitter account tweeted "British racing continues behind closed doors this week", with a list of the meetings due to take place on the first two days of the week.

According to reports in several national newspapers, however, the government is concerned about adherence to Covid-19 restrictions in football, with several scenes from matches over the weekend – including videos of dressing-room celebrations – causing consternation.
                            You love to see it.

Comment

• Celtic went on a Dubai Training Camp for six days!

Didnt go to well under the COVID microscope, and Sturgeon has passed comment today.

'I don’t want to stop football fans watching their teams'

Returning to the first minister's briefing... STV's Raman Bharwaj asked the following question: Last week you said that Celtics trip to Dubai should be looked in to. In light of what has emerged since then, one positive case and sixteen self isolating, what do you think should happen now in terms of what the football authorities do?

Nicola Sturgeon replied: "I think the football authorities, as I said last week, should look at whether the trip was essential, and whether they want to reflect on that and give advice to the clubs about the circumstances around when it is reasonable to travel right now and the circumstance in which it isn’t.

"Elite sportspeople have privileges because we want our sports people to do well and be able to train, but those privileges cant be abused.

"Fans of football clubs, fans of Celtic football club aren’t able to travel freely, we are all under the stay at home restrictions, so if you’ve got privileges, you shouldn’t be abusing those privileges and you should be asking yourselves whether going to a training camp, and what you do at that training camp is necessary and I really hope Celtic reflect seriously on this.

"You’ve got significant numbers of players required to isolate, the coaching team as I understand it are having to self isolate, that’s going to have a significant impact on their performance, so I hope they reflect on it, and I hope the football authorities reflect on it as well. We want to keep these things going as much as possible. People have got few enough pleasures as it is in life, and I don’t want to stop football fans watching their teams, but teams have to take responsibility for their own conduct right now."

Comment

• If you stop elite sports then you have to stop people going to work (who can’t work from home) and they won’t do that as I think they know that will put many people under. If you want to stop all social interaction then you’ll have to close supermarkets and all shops too as they are much more riskier for transmission.

Comment

Working...
                                X