Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Stayers Hurdle 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
    Could Buveur D’air step up in trip for this? JP is nap handed for the Champion Hurdle, and a fit and firing BD would be a serious player. He travels easily through his races, and in the early days they expected him to go up in trip.

Sire De Berlais looks to be going this route, but I can’t see that making too much difference to the decision. Buveur D’air isn’t generally quoted in the market. Skybet have him at 12/1 which is a stupid price, and Betway have him at 20/1 which is still on the short side. I might take it with the cash out option if 365 had him at the same price though.

At the moment I like Thyme Hill for the race, and I’ve got a couple of others in my book, and overall I’m happy with my early position. But if I thought BD was going to go this way I’d want a price as early as possible. Any thoughts or is it stir crazy thinking.
    I'd think he'd be competitive at 3 miles, but vulnerable to improvers obviously.

But there are too many weak 2 mile graded races that Henderson can slot horses into prior to the festival, so it'd be unlikely he'd step up in trip early season, so monitoring the exchanges after Christmas and seeing how he's performed would be the best option.
    If he looks up against it for the Champion in comparison to how others have performed then they could chuck him in the stayers.
    I'd say it's fairly unlikely though. Not sticking my neck out with that really

Comment

I don’t think it’s a crazy thought, but you would have to think Champion Hurdle would be plan number one. If he mops up the easy two mile races as mentioned then he would surely deserve to take his place with the thought of gaining his crown back and a third champion hurdle as well old romantic Nicky Henderson Wouldn’t resist lol. Stayers would be feasible if he’s getting beaten by cornerstone lad again or some of the younger bucks. So plan number 2 I guess, but then again they could try fences again.... never too old to start a career over fences! Look at faugheen.

Personally think i’d want the any race price, but I don’t believe you get the cash out option with those bets, which Is enough to put me off for now .

Comment

Interesting to see where JP sends his, got loads of options for a Champion Hurdle. I like everyone else have backed Thyme Hill but also like McFabulous. I think he'd of gone close if he'd got in the Martin Pipe and he won as he liked the Saturday after Cheltenham. Nicholas has mentioned the Stayers so I've thrown a few free bets at him.

Comment

Can't say anything BD has shown would suggest he'd be suited to a Stayers. Think he was on decline anyway and at his age and after last season's horrific injury I couldn't entertain backing him. For me he's odds on to be retired .

Comment

Id absolutely need to see an entry before thinking of backing him for everything.

Comment

A thought just occurred to me. The price is up with Unibet who are the bookies linked to Henderson. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but there’s been plenty of criticism with regards the info they appear to have before anyone else. I’m not suggesting they know Buveur D’air is going to be aimed down the Stayers route at all, but why did they go out alone quoting him? Perhaps the option has been discussed in some way?

I agree that he needs to be turned over again at two miles for them to consider the Stayers route, and I’m not advocating backing him now. It’s just a discussion point and something to watch out for. Although Nicky presumably has a view in terms of how he stacks up against Epatante, and perhaps thats where there may have been some loose chat around the stable. As I say it’s interesting it’s Unibet that priced him. It’s usually one of the bigger firms that do that.

I disagree that he hasn’t shaped as though he’d see the trip out Lobos. We already know he gets two and a half, and given he switches off and travels so easily in his races, there’s no reason to think he wouldn’t get the trip. Particularly as the race usually (this year excepted), sets up into a sprint. We all see things differently and neither of us really know though.
              Last edited by Spectre; 28 June 2020, 08:27 AM.
              Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

Buveur D'air shapes just as well as Jezki ever did?

Comment

Not sure that Henderson is in love with the Stayers. In all my years going to the festival I cant remember a single Henderson horse running in it ? Surely he must have had some ?

Just had a look......looks like Bobs Worth is the only horse he's ever had placed in the race (33/1 3rd).
                  Last edited by Lobos; 28 June 2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                    Not sure that Henderson is in love with the Stayers. In all my years going to the festival I cant remember a single Henderson horse running in it ? Surely he must have had some ?

Just had a look......looks like Bobs Worth is the only horse he's ever had placed in the race (33/1 3rd).
                    He has had runners, but nothing competitive that I can remember. Oscar Whisky flopped and as you have already mentioned Bob's worth, when he was near retiring really and nowhere near the winner in the race.

Comment

Thought Nicholas would send McFabulous chasing so that’s interesting if that’s correct he’s being aimed down this route instead

Comment

Surprised there’s not more love for Sire Du Berlais, on sectionals he was pretty impressive, although I don’t normally go by timings too often as each race has it’s own post script to it... but until we see a couple of proper trials I’ll continue to row in on Paisley Park, happy to forgive that one below par effort, and chip away at Sire Du Berlais and Ronald pump

Comment

Originally posted by gjt7756 View Post
                          Surprised there’s not more love for Sire Du Berlais, on sectionals he was pretty impressive, although I don’t normally go by timings too often as each race has it’s own post script to it... but until we see a couple of proper trials I’ll continue to row in on Paisley Park, happy to forgive that one below par effort, and chip away at Sire Du Berlais and Ronald pump
                          SDB was my first dart. Then went in on what I think is the forum pick Thyme Hill

Comment

Can’t have Thyme Hill for some reason, just personal opinion I suppose but he wasn’t screaming stayers hurdle for me before or after the the Albert Bartlett, I’d rather back him on the day to balance the books if he happens to go well in a couple of trials than have him in my book now, only have room for so many...

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post

Top Notch, L’Ami Serge.....both horses have same owner so maybe the owners favour the Stayers instead of Henderson but he usually has a runner it this race but not many.

Comment

Lisnager Oscar is a better bet than Sire Du Berlais whilst they're both 16/1 in my opinion.

Paisley Park and Thyme Hill would be my most likely winners though, at this early stage.

Comment

Working...
                                X