Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2022 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Champion Hurdle

Prices as at 23/3/21

Honeysuckle 3/1
    Bob Olinger 8/1
    Ferny Hollow 12/1
    Quilixios 14/1
    Appreciate It 16/1
    Epatante 16/1
    Sharjah 25/1
    Black Tears 33/1
    Blue Lord 33/1
    Haut en Coleurs 33/1
    Zanihiyr 33/1
    Abacadabras 33/1
    Concertista 40/1
    Saint Roi 40/1
    Aspire Tower 40/1
    Last edited by Istabraq; 6 October 2021, 01:18 PM.

I sincerely apologise to anyone who was deep on ferny hollow, its my fault hes going chasing after putting my free bet on him for this on Monday

Comment

With ferny going chasing, I hate backing short priced favourites but with all the novices last season who seemed very good going chasing, 2/1 Honeysuckle seems value to me considering how much better she is compared to all of her rivals

Comment

Originally posted by Zachx02 View Post
        With ferny going chasing, I hate backing short priced favourites but with all the novices last season who seemed very good going chasing, 2/1 Honeysuckle seems value to me considering how much better she is compared to all of her rivals
        Time will tell if she is much better. She is now a year older and there could be a very smart one coming through

Comment

It certainly doesn't do her chances any harm if Bobby O, Appreciate It & Ferny are all going chasing!

That leaves Echoes In Rain, Epatante & Sharjah as Honey's biggest market rivals so there's quite a gap to bridge there.

Comment

Originally posted by FinalFurlong91 View Post
            I sincerely apologise to anyone who was deep on ferny hollow, its my fault hes going chasing after putting my free bet on him for this on Monday
            With you there, literally pulled the trigger on him for the Champion Hurdle this afternoon... hoping it's another Mullins curveball!

Comment

Monmiral staying hurdling for now, goes for the fighting fifth - Nicholls

Thinks grade 1 at aintree would be a perfect target, then novice chasing next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Trap5 View Post

Time will tell if she is much better. She is now a year older and there could be a very smart one coming through
                Shewearsitwell by any chance

Comment

Surely ferny going chasing is a boost for echoes/swiw - I'm assuming Willie could easily have kept ferny over hurdles if he'd wanted to? Naturally both mares need to improve but there's no reason to believe they can't right? Hopefully for me swiw goes mares instead of here though!

Comment

Originally posted by darlojim View Post

Thinks grade 1 at aintree would be a perfect target, then novice chasing next year.
                    Thanks for sharing. Where did you read this darlojim?

Comment

Originally posted by darlojim View Post

Makes complete sense.

Whats he got to beat in the mid-season Grade 1's - Epatante, and not much depth behind.

The depth in the Novice Chasing division looks fierce enough, at this moment in time.

A years more strength and experience will do Monmiral the world of good before he goes chasing at the still young age of 5 rising 6.
                      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

Makes complete sense.

Whats he got to beat in the mid-season Grade 1's - Epatante, and not much depth behind.

The depth in the Novice Chasing division looks fierce enough, at this moment in time.

A years more strength and experience will do Monmiral the world of good before he goes chasing at the still young age of 5 rising 6.
                        No depth in the uk novice chasers whatsoever!!!
                        whereas even a good juvenile will struggle in open grade 1 hurdles over here against the established average hurdlers the uk has

Comment

I notice the Irish trainers are going chasing with their french bred 4 year olds more often now

Comment

Originally posted by FinalFurlong91 View Post
                            I'm hoping willie is trying to put us away and ferny will be going for the champion hurdle, it's always best not to take anything he says as gospel !

Comment

IF Willie does send Ferny Hollow chasing that still leaves him with 4 or 5 potential contenders, at least, for the Champion Hurdle, in market order, my opinion of 5 of them:

Echoes In Rain - For me Echoes In Rain is under priced on what she's achieved to date. Her figures means she needs to improve a fair deal, and whilst she could do so, being only 5 years old, it would also be unlike Willie to chuck a mare straight into the Champion Hurdle off the back of a novice season, they usually have to 'earn the right', according to Ruby, to be given a shot at the race, which means they usually go down the Mares Hurdle route first. Obviously knowing Honeysuckle will get the 7lbs allowance from the boys may change Willies approach on this, but he's not usually one to be swayed by something like this. I do wonder, given her keenness as well, whether she'll be seen to better effect on flatter tracks too. I've chucked some free bets on her before she won at Punchestown, but I think they may be wasted bets personally.

Sharjah - He hasn't beat Honeysuckle in 4 attempts, and will be 9 at the 2022 festival. I can't see it happening now, or ever, unless, god forbid, something happened to the mare during a race. Happy to leave him well alone, for all that he's been incredibly consistent in the race when completing.

Saldier - Already banged the drum about Saldier, needs ground in his favour, ideally 'Good' in the description somewhere, bang in form this summer, and tactics may also play a key part. Can see him going quiet during the winter period (softer ground), and would hope he'd have a break after the Christmas period and go to the festival fresh. If all this happens I think we'll see his best performance yet in the Champion Hurdle of 2022.

Concertista - Difficult to knock her Cheltenham form of 2-1-2, though many would have hoped she'd be good enough to have beaten Black Tears at this years festival. It may be she is seen to best effect over a stiff 2m, given the manner of her victory in the Mares Novice hurdle of 2020, and if that is the case the Champion Hurdle would be her preferred option. Rated just 152 it may also be she is just not good enough, and they may work towards a handicap mark for her instead. County Hurdle?

French Aseel - Probably the most interesting of the quintet I've listed. A striking debut for previous connections, who recorded a super impressive RPR for a juvenile on debut, of 139, before moving to Willie. Just to put that RPR in perspective, the only horse, that I have managed to find in recent years, to achieve higher on hurdles debut as a juvenile was Goshen, however as we know, Goshen has his issues (especially going left handed), and French Aseel looked fairly straight forward, and his win was going left handed, so no issue on that front. The fact he didn't run again this year was a positive, with regards to the Champion Hurdle, IMO. His one and only form line (which can be taken with a big pinch of salt at this stage) puts him ahead of the likes of Zanahiyr, Quilixios and Jeff Kidder, however, the one big question mark I have of him was can he go on from that debut run? If he can he could be absolutely anything. Only time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X