Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Has anyone had a Cheltenham 2022 punt yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we think Galopin des champs goes RSA?

Comment

• Originally posted by Myflutters View Post
      Where do we think Gars de sceaux will be aimed at? Stayers?
      The horse I'm most interested in this far out. Only 5 years old and the step up to 3m brought out a lot of improvement. Could be a number of races he could go for.

Comment

• Originally posted by DenmanSacre View Post

The horse I'm most interested in this far out. Only 5 years old and the step up to 3m brought out a lot of improvement. Could be a number of races he could go for.
        Yeah he looks smart. I see Stayers as the target but agree options a plenty.

Comment

• Originally posted by charlie View Post
          I am going to pick a few races in 2022 (maybe 3) and try to make a book on the race.

I will be going back through the archive threads (what a life haha) to see how seasons have historically unfolded, but to me, the RSA looks the perfect place to start.

I was gutted I missed out on the Monkfish prices, and as a winner of the AB he was an obvious bet that passed me by. So was Champ the previous year. So was TOTG (although definitely not at this point of the season).

I haven't got this race right ante post and I am determined to rectify this and that starts now!

Out of the 3 novice chases I believe it's the 'easiest' race to identify potential challengers now. The Arkle and Marsh are a nightmare, whereas the Albert Bartlett and Ballymore 1/2/3 has a history of producing RSA contenders, and based on what we know now, I think we can make educated guesses as to who will go novice chasing, and what will be aimed over 3m.

It's interesting that the two horses at the top of the ante post market have shown nothing but speed, in Bob Olinger & Appreciate It. We don't even know if their future lies over fences, or 3m, and I'd say its highly unlikely both would be targeted at the RSA, and neither might.

At current prices the Irish horses that leap of the page are:

Galopin Des Champs @ 25/1
          Gaillard Du Mesnil @ 27/1
          Gentlemansgame @ 33/1

I have to keep reminding myself that the Brits have won 4/7 runnings of the RSA (I will always call it this). The ones that interest me are:

Bravemansgame @ 16/1
          Imperial Alcazar @ 50/1
          Gallyhill @ 50/1

I am going to give this race some serious thought and get some positions in the book nice and early.

The only bet I have made so far is Gaillard Du Mesnil. I think he's a good ante post bet @ 27/1 with Hills. He handled Cheltenham and just run into an exceptional horse in BO who did him for speed. It's clear he wants fences and a bit further, and that he has oodles of class. He's a big money purchase for JD, trained by Willie Mullins, second in a Ballymore, exceptionally bred, he just ticks so many RSA boxes, even at this very early stage.
          Like this idea. Like you say arkle Marsh tricky. Everyone one had two solids last year this far out with Shishkin & Envoi. I'm avoiding the top of the market for singles in these races. Three in the arkle so far, Monmiral 50s boosted, Quilixios 50s boosted and James du berlais 40s & 33s. Nothing in the Marsh yet.

Comment

• Gars de sceaux might be one for a big RAB double. So many RABS have three, 4 horses. Which put me off. I was on the 200/1 AI & Bob last year. Trying to find a nice one like this again with just two horses.

Comment

I am going to pick a few races in 2022 (maybe 3) and try to make a book on the race.

I will be going back through the archive threads (what a life haha) to see how seasons have historically unfolded, but to me, the RSA looks the perfect place to start.

I was gutted I missed out on the Monkfish prices, and as a winner of the AB he was an obvious bet that passed me by. So was Champ the previous year. So was TOTG (although definitely not at this point of the season).

I haven't got this race right ante post and I am determined to rectify this and that starts now!

Out of the 3 novice chases I believe it's the 'easiest' race to identify potential challengers now. The Arkle and Marsh are a nightmare, whereas the Albert Bartlett and Ballymore 1/2/3 has a history of producing RSA contenders, and based on what we know now, I think we can make educated guesses as to who will go novice chasing, and what will be aimed over 3m.

It's interesting that the two horses at the top of the ante post market have shown nothing but speed, in Bob Olinger & Appreciate It. We don't even know if their future lies over fences, or 3m, and I'd say its highly unlikely both would be targeted at the RSA, and neither might.

At current prices the Irish horses that leap of the page are:

Galopin Des Champs @ 25/1
              Gaillard Du Mesnil @ 27/1
              Gentlemansgame @ 33/1

I have to keep reminding myself that the Brits have won 4/7 runnings of the RSA (I will always call it this). The ones that interest me are:

Bravemansgame @ 16/1
              Imperial Alcazar @ 50/1
              Gallyhill @ 50/1

I am going to give this race some serious thought and get some positions in the book nice and early.

The only bet I have made so far is Gaillard Du Mesnil. I think he's a good ante post bet @ 27/1 with Hills. He handled Cheltenham and just run into an exceptional horse in BO who did him for speed. It's clear he wants fences and a bit further, and that he has oodles of class. He's a big money purchase for JD, trained by Willie Mullins, second in a Ballymore, exceptionally bred, he just ticks so many RSA boxes, even at this very early stage.
              Watched the Ballymore back and I think this is a great argument for GDM, I got 33/1 at 365.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprinter Sacre View Post

Watched the Ballymore back and I think this is a great argument for GDM, I got 33/1 at 365.
                I agree entirely. He just looks like he wants further. Stayed on lovely behind Bob in the Ballymore. Was a class apart from what would be the Irish contingent for the AB field at DRF too over 2m6. My only concern is that post DRF, Willie stated that 2m4 was his distance. I know that can change, and WIllie himself says he doesn't often know a horses best trip, but it's a point worth noting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exar Essay View Post

I agree entirely. He just looks like he wants further. Stayed on lovely behind Bob in the Ballymore. Was a class apart from what would be the Irish contingent for the AB field at DRF too over 2m6. My only concern is that post DRF, Willie stated that 2m4 was his distance. I know that can change, and WIllie himself says he doesn't often know a horses best trip, but it's a point worth noting.
                  My thinking is if Bob O and/or Appreciate It go to the Marsh that would force GDM elsewhere. And if we all agree that he's crying out for further then hopefully the people who matter are thinking the same after the festival too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exar Essay View Post

I wouldn't be concerned. Post Ballymore he delivered the perfect quote re RSA - Gaillard Du Mesnil ran well but he was beaten by a much better horse on the day. Maybe he needs a bit further. We'll look at next year going over fences

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned. Post Ballymore he delivered the perfect quote re RSA - Gaillard Du Mesnil ran well but he was beaten by a much better horse on the day. Maybe he needs a bit further. We'll look at next year going over fences
                      Thank you. I hadn't read/heard that. Perfect to tempt me in from a speculator to a proper bet.

Comment

• One thing I have noticed if we are talking about Bob Ollinger, HDB has only had one runner in the Marsh since its inception in 2012, Sizing Gold in 2014.

Now that may just be lack of firepower to target the race but he’s always been renowned for improving horses for fences so I would have expected maybe a few more runners at least.

Just something to think about, also why going in so early is not wise at this stage imo.

Comment

• Horses who have won the RSA having raced at Cheltenham the previous year:

2012: Bobs Worth - 1st AB
                          2014: O'Faolains Boy - 4th AB
                          2015: Don Poli - 1st MP
                          2016: Blaklion - PU AB
                          2018: Presenting Percy - 1st Pertemps
                          2019: Topofthegame - 2nd Pertemps
                          2020: Champ - 2nd Ballymore
                          2021: Monkfish - 1st AB

Basically, the Albert Bartlett, Martin Pipe, Ballymore and Pertemps are important races to keep in mind.

For me, there are 4 clear horses to take out of Cheltenham with a view to the RSA at the current prices:

Ballymore - Gaillard Du Mesnil @ 27/1 2pts (Hills)

Gaillard Du Mesnil looks a classy animal, and I don't think there is anything wrong with being outpaced by Bob Olinger. Fences and a little bit further has been confirmed by Willie, and I just think he has a fantastic profile for the RSA. Nearly 30/1 for a Grade 1 winning hurdler, 2nd in a Ballymore, trained by the master - it has to go in the book.

Martin Pipe - Galopin Des Champs @ 40/1 2pts (Unibet)

Ruby was very sweet on Galopin Des Champs pre-Cheltenham - post Cheltenham it's clear to see why. He travelled beautifully and readily pissed up - the Martin Pipe has produced winners before and at 40/1 he has to go in the book.

Ballymore - Bravemansgame @ 16/1 2pts (Sky)

I didn't want to back Bravemansgame, but I feel it would be a mistake not to. Plenty of novice hurdlers turn into tools over fences and PN is a great trainer of chasers, so at 16/1 he has to go into the book. He also loves targeting the RSA with the ones he really likes and after getting rolled over in the 4 miler (cheers Galvin) hopefully all roads lead here.

Albert Bartlett - Vanillier @ 2pt 12/1 2pts (Sky)

Vanillier will probably be the shortest priced horse I back for the next 6 months. The AB is a tried and tested path for RSA winners, and Vannillier absolutely hosed up, so I've had to add him. I watched the race back twice before adding him and think it was the right call.

Steering clear of Bob Olinger and Appreciate It for the time being. I am not sure they will go here and they are plenty short enough. Will monitor what is said post Spring Festivals with a view to getting them involved.

A few horses who disappointed or missed Cheltenham that I have also added because they are big prices:

FiveOclock @ 66/1 0.5pts (Unibet)
                          My Drogo @ 28/1 1pt (Unibet)
                          Imperial Alcazar @ 56/1 0.5pts (Hills)
                          Gallyhill @ 56/1 0.5pts (Hills)
                          Ashdale Bob @ 66/1 (Sky)

For me any horse that missed or disappointed at Cheltenham shouldn't be going into the book at 50/1 or less because I just don't think it will be profitable. I made an exception with My Drogo on the basis he looks like a proper chaser and Milan has a habit of producing decent 3 milers at Cheltenham.

I have never attempted making a book on a race before so this should be fun and hopefully profitable!

Last edited by charlie; 21 March 2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craigy14 View Post
                            One thing I have noticed if we are talking about Bob Ollinger, HDB has only had one runner in the Marsh since its inception in 2012, Sizing Gold in 2014.

Now that may just be lack of firepower to target the race but he’s always been renowned for improving horses for fences so I would have expected maybe a few more runners at least.

Just something to think about, also why going in so early is not wise at this stage imo.
                            Depends on the prices you take. Single figure prices about horses that aren't likely to run in the race or possibly might not go over the fences is definitely not wise, but big prices about the right horses is IMO the right strategy. Would have served you exceptionally well this year and last year for example.

Comment

I like the case you have made for GDM, don’t usually back this early, but going to follow you in.

Cheers, Charlie.

Comment

• For those of us that are already on monkfish/envoi for the gold cup via the specials i like the 25s on chantry house for a nice cover too, hendo already mentioned 3ms for him. He already looks the best 3m chaser on the mainland now.

Comment

Working...
                                X