Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Mares Novice Hurdle 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “She looks a nice type. She was obviously workmanlike winning a maiden hurdle at Limerick last time, but Paul said she blew up five times! She’s still in the picture for the Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle. She’s been hard to train, and I have very different training regime for her. She looks a lovely mare for the future.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRowebot View Post
      “She looks a nice type. She was obviously workmanlike winning a maiden hurdle at Limerick last time, but Paul said she blew up five times! She’s still in the picture for the Mares’ Novices’ Hurdle. She’s been hard to train, and I have very different training regime for her. She looks a lovely mare for the future.”
      Sounds like this year might just come too soon for her to show her best.

Comment

• Did anyone else reading that get the impression she isn’t quite right and possibly even won’t make the race?

Comment

• Originally posted by FaugheenTheMachine View Post
          Did anyone else reading that get the impression she isn’t quite right and possibly even won’t make the race?
          I took it as 50/50. Imagine Willie doesnt even know himself right now... Alot to be learnt as he steps them up in work over the next few weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by FaugheenTheMachine View Post
            Did anyone else reading that get the impression she isn’t quite right and possibly even won’t make the race?
            I just thought he was underplaying her chances in the Mares Novice, as he got it wrong getting her ready for the first run.
            Maybe she will be a win or bust filly that the is years Festival. (No middle ground).
            "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Probably not her true running but the second to Lamarckise did nothing today!

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
                Probably not her true running but the second to Lamarckise did nothing today!
                The whole race was unreadable from a form point of view when Lamarckise won, bad ground over 2M4F, and not trained hard enough to be fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
                  Probably not her true running but the second to Lamarckise did nothing today!
                  A lot of Joseph's seem to be running below expectations. This one was off the bridle from the flag.

Comment

• Interesting that Ruby mentions Colreevy in his racing tv column about Willies festival team but neither Lamarcksie or Dolcita......

Comment

• entries

Comment

• Another horse I am adding to my portfolio with my cashout funds being reinvested is in the Mares Novice Hurdle (Grade 2).

This is usually (always) a Willie Mullins benefit, and my two current mares for the race both hail from that stable.

I also have a lot of respect for what HdB is doing this season, and he has the current favourite Minella Melody for this race, following her hattrick of hurdles wins, including a Listed race over 2M371/2F and a Grade 3 race over 2M2F.

She has the best race form this season, but its one she beat in her Listed race win, that I like, at 6 times the price of the favourite.

Ard Abhainn 20/1 NRNB Mares Novice Hurdle

AA is a year younger and less experienced than Minella Melody, and when they met in December, she was only a 4yo, and was beaten just 2 lengths by MM staying on, after appearing one-paced, giving the impression she could be a staying type.

Gordon Elliott ran her next time out in another Listed race, five weeks later, and her form improved 7lbs (on RPR's) from her defeat by MM, when taking the shorter distance of the 2M race by 3 lengths.

She travelled and hurdled well, giving a few lengths to the pace setters, and when moving up 3 form home, put in a short stride and lost momentum at a vital time.

Nonetheless Davy Russell urged her to pick up, and she did it well and by the next flight she was upsides the leader and put the race to bed easily from thereon in.

She looked good over the minimum trip, and immediately afterwards Gordon stated
                        'I thought the trip would be a bit short for her but Davy [Russell] was happy with her. She missed the third last but is honest and stays galloping. I'd say the further she goes the better she'll be. She's a valuable broodmare now after being placed in and winning a Listed race. She'll definitely be going to Cheltenham'

Two months break, and just one more furlong and an uphill finish at Cheltenham, which should suit the mare well.

Her jockey (hopefully Davy Russell again) will wear the colours of a Festival supergirl, Fayonagh, and AA is only the second horse since Fayonagh to carry the owners colours. Lets hope lightening strikes twice and she powers on up the hill like Fayonagh did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                          Ard Abhainn 20/1 NRNB Mares Novice Hurdle
                          Excellent write up SW, you convinced me to add.

Comment

• Originally posted by charlie View Post
                            Excellent write up SW, you convinced me to add.
                            The last race video shows her in a good light.
                            Not much wrong with her run against Minella Melody either and she has won both her hurdles races when Davy Russell rides.

Comment

• Might be worth noting there has been little market support that I can see in the last couple of weeks for any of Willies, that may change of course

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhinestone_Cowboy View Post
                                Might be worth noting there has been little market support that I can see in the last couple of weeks for any of Willies, that may change of course
                                One reason that I wanted something "non-Willie", in my portfolio for the race.

Comment

Working...
                                X