Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Prize Money 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham Prize Money 2021

I have looked at the first place prize money offered for the first ten races where entries are now known at the Cheltenham Festival 2021

These are:
    (2020 1st prize money in brackets)

Arkle Chase 73,855 (102,7710) - 71.8% of last years 1st prize

Champion Hurdle 189,912 (253,215) - 75%

National Hunt Chase 55,594 (74,125) - 75%

Mares Hurdle 50,643 (70,562) - 71.8%

RSA Chase 73,855 (98,472) - 75%

Champion Chase 168,810 (225,080) - 75%

Marsh Chase 73,855 (88,208) - 83.7%

Ryanair Chase 149,116 (196,946) - 75.7%

Stayers Hurdle 135,048 (182,877) - 73.8%

Gold Cup 263,766 (351,687) - 75%

Generally a 25% prize money cut, which if we saw the same happening this week for the Supreme, Ballymore, Albert Bartlett and Triumph Hurdle would lead to a 1st prize drop from GBP 70,337 to GBP 52,785 for each of them.

RSA and Arkle have dropped, and for this season the Marsh has dropped less to be worth the same value.

------------------------------------------------------

As a comparison the DRF Prize Money for the 8 Grade 1 races are known.

The first prize money this year (last year), are:-

Irish Champion Hurdle EU 84,000 (EU 112,000) - 75%

Irish Gold Cup EU 112,000 (EU 140,250) - 80%

2M6F Nathaniel Lacey Novice Hurdle EU 73,750 (EU 88,500) - 83.3%

2M1F Ladbrokes Dublin Chase EU 73,750 (EU 88,500) - 83.3%

2M1F Arkle Chase EU 73,750 (EU 88,500) - 83.3%

2M Spring Juvenile Hurdle EU 73,750 (EU 88,500) - 83.3%

2M Chanelle Pharma Novice Hurdle EU 73,750 (EU 88,500) - 83.3%

2M5F Foglas Novice Chase EU 73,750 (EU 88,500) - 83.3%

The Irish Champion Hurdle has had the biggest cut, down 25%, the rest have much less of a reduction.

It looks like the 2M6F Novice Hurdle, the 2M Novice Hurdle and the 2M Juvenile Hurdle at the DRF will be worth more to the winner than the Supreme Novice Hurdle, The Ballymore Novice Hurdle, the Albert Bartlett and the Triumph Hurdle, if all four of those go down by 25% this week, from GBP 70,337 to the winner to GBP 52,782

Not a good sign for Cheltenham, for Novice/Juvenile Hurdlers prize money not competing with the DRF.

Will keep a check on the four handicap prizes at the DRF when the entries come out (this week, I think) and compare that to a possible 25% cut to the Cheltenham Festival Handicaps.
    Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 24 January 2021, 02:21 PM.
    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Can be dangerous for the long term to rely on 'prestige' of races rather than prize money.

UK flat racing is suffering from this IMO, while the rest of the world seems to be moving forwards.

Comment

I now this is not totally related, but when a horse is supplemented.
      Who gets the majority of the fee ?

I assume it gets divvied up, but it never adds anything to the prize money does it ?
      There can't be that much extra costs to add a horse at the 6 day stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post
        I now this is not totally related, but when a horse is supplemented.
        Who gets the majority of the fee ?

I assume it gets divvied up, but it never adds anything to the prize money does it ?
        There can't be that much extra costs to add a horse at the 6 day stage.
        I think it all gets added to the prize fund, might be wrong though.

Comment

Wow that is big cuts, expected I suppose, but very worrying for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

I think it all gets added to the prize fund, might be wrong though.
            Right.
            that does make sense, just probably never noticed it.

Comment

Cheltenham have always paid more for Novice Chases compared to Novice Hurdles.

100K last year approx for Arkle and RSA compared with 70K for the Supreme, Ballymore and Triumph.

DRF values Novice Hurdles the same as Novice Chases.
              "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

And when you add on the upfront vat payments and paper work...unless you are contender staying in Ireland starts to look much better...

Comment

Some intriguing numbers there Spectre
                  But we shouldn't forget that these are unique times, when the world starts spinning in the right direction these numbers will return to normal and given the increase in exposure/popularity racing has had there's every reason to think things will eventually look bright for the sport.
                  ITV have done a terrific job appealing to the masses since the pandemic ruined our lives, for all we know there may be mile long queues at Sedgefield and Fontwell when crowds are allowed back unrestricted, that said the potential impact of the upcoming government affordability exercise actually has the ability to ruin racing as we know it....

As a footnote the Ryanair pot being higher than the Stayers Hurdler just seems wrong to me....

Comment

Hopefully world starts spinning in the right direction soon Ista. We need the sport we love to be thriving.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      Can be dangerous for the long term to rely on 'prestige' of races rather than prize money.

UK flat racing is suffering from this IMO, while the rest of the world seems to be moving forwards.
                      Totally agree. Ive long since thought Cheltenham would have to start upping the prize money otherwise the Irish may well stay at home. That would be disasterous for the festival.

Comment

The concern would be in DRF is expanded.

At the moment I think it’s great, 2 days of top of the range racing, but if it went to 3/4 days with equally high prize money then it threatens Irish participation imo.

It would really influence the trainers championship and running everyone 4 times in 4 months at the big festivals wouldn’t be feasible. Aintree already suffers from Fairyhouse/Punch.

Comment

Working...
                        X