Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2020 - Ante post bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did use to do long range Festival Trixies and Yankees, but now see these as unattractive and now my strategy is to do these when NRNB occurs on all 28 races, within a week of the Festival starting. That has been much more profitable.

That’s why I switched my long range Festival bets to be straight singles as early as their talent and target can be sensibly guessed at, for example:

Klassical Dream @ 8/1 Champion Hurdle
    Fusil Raffles @ 55/1 Champion Hurdle,
    Chacun Pour Soi @ 28/1 Champion Chase
    Minella Indo @ 22/1 RSA
    Bright Forecast @ 28/1 RSA
    Defi Du Seuil @ 17/1 Ryanair Chase
    City Island @ 22/1 Stayers Hurdle (would need to step back from chasing now though)
    Gypsy Island @ 16/1 Mares Novice Hurdle
    The Glancing Queen @ 22/1 Mares Novice Hurdle
    Delta Work @ 25/1 & 20/1 Gold Cup
    Lostintranslation @ 16/1 Gold Cup
    Topofthegame @ 15/1 Gold Cup

I also like William Hill’s ‘Any Festival Race’ and have

Blue Sari @ 12/1
    A Plus Tard @ 18/1
    Delta Work @ 15/1
    Gypsy Island @ 17/1
    Chacun Pour Soi @ 22/1
    Minella Indo @ 15/1

I add in the small stakes fiver doubles I mentioned above with fancies I have through the season with a Festival (or other antepost) selections, and from those I have bets running on

Cyrname £585 payout (from a £5 double) for the King George
    Band Of Outlaws £451 payout (from a £2 double) for the Champion Hurdle
    A Plus Tard £630 payout (from a £5 double) for the Ryanair Chase
    Shantou Flyer £450 payout (from a £2 double) for the Foxhunters
    Shantou Flyer £487 payout (from a a £5 double) for the Foxhunters

So I have a position mostly backing horses proven at the Festival and reinvesting some of my profits from this March.

I won’t get interested in Yankee’s, Trixies until the week before the Festival where some new opportunities can arise, including in the handicaps.
    Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 13 August 2019, 08:45 AM.
    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Great stuff lads. Ive followed you in on santini and TOTG double. Interestingly Sky have relaxed the restrictions on my account. It used to be that I was restricted to £100 liability on bets, but now they are letting me put way more on (no BOG still). Not sure why but its very much welcome!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by billymag View Post
        Great stuff lads. Ive followed you in on santini and TOTG double. Interestingly Sky have relaxed the restrictions on my account. It used to be that I was restricted to £100 liability on bets, but now they are letting me put way more on (no BOG still). Not sure why but its very much welcome!!!!
        I am exactly the same as you with Sky restrictions. Will give them a look again to see if my account has become usable once more.
        "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Had restrictions for all bookies over the years this is the first that has been reversed.

Comment

• Originally posted by billymag View Post
            Had restrictions for all bookies over the years this is the first that has been reversed.
            A sign of the times maybe Billymag , with the restrictions on F.o.b.t , they need every penny they can get ??.
            * Unless your too successful of course !! *

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
              How many pts have you staked so far for the above in total?

I'm always interested in how people approach the 'life changing' bets as a strategy.
              70 points staked so far Kev. Probably wont stake too much more until post Christmas (at least Ill try to) as most of my success this year was from bets post Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kautostar View Post
                Vautour do you not do any singles at all?
                I like a good double or Yankee etc for Cheltenham but wouldn’t base my entire festival on them.
                I’ve had enough non runners over the years to know not to put all my eggs in one basket so although I agree paisley park is banker material at this stage, what happens if he gets injured?
                Do some but not a huge amount - generally do them closer to Cheltenham. I appreciate that seems illogical! Had Klassical Dream at 36/1 last year but beacuse of that I didnt include him in doubles, trebles etc and cost me quite alot - swings and roundabouts.

I had a bad Cheltenham in 2018 and didnt recoup anything. However, I was Apples Jade away from 20k so for me that is a trade off Im happy to make.

Comment

• Reigning Champ hurdler Espoir D'Allen is out for the season

Comment

• Gavin Cromwell has revealed that reigning Champion Hurdler Espoir D’Allen looks like he will be out for the season after suffering an injury at home. The 5yo took a fall on the gallops last week and is still undergoing tests in Fethard Equine Hospital.

Cromwell said: “Last Thursday he had done a little canter and coming back in off the gallop he got spooked, reared up and fell over. He is down in Fethard Equine Hospital and we still haven't found what's wrong with him, but it looks like he is going to be out for the season.”

“They are still doing tests on him and the vets don't seem very optimistic of him making a speedy recovery. It’s a massive blow for everybody in the yard.” Full story to follow on https://t.co/aDE2R2Xfwi

Comment

• Klassical Dream into as short as 3/1 after the Espoir D'Allen news, however Bet365 are either not changing their odds or a bit slow on it and are still 6's for those interested.

Edit: They've literally just taken the market down!

Comment

• 365 7/2 now.

Took the 6s and doubled with Benie for mares.

Awful news about Espoir and huge blow to the yard.

Comment

• Terrible news for connections this.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
                            365 7/2 now.

Took the 6s and doubled with Benie for mares.

Awful news about Espoir and huge blow to the yard.
                            Yeah I managed some of the 6's.

Big blow for the yard, but I'm sure he'll be back and that is all that matters really.

Comment

• Big shame for the yard. Just a few days ago Cromwell came out with a positive update on him and you could tell just what the CH win and Espoir D'Allen have done for the yard. Also means we'll miss out on what I'm sure would have been some great match ups between him and KD through the Irish Trials. Hard to see past KD at this rate now. Well done to those who grabbed some 6s.

Comment

• Big shame for that horse and yard in particular.
                                Bigger outfits could probably absorb some loss of talent for a season but that’ll dent his yard a fair bit I reckon.
                                Hopefully JP has given him some more ammunition.

Comment

Working...
                                X