Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Handicap Shortlists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    I put another in a betslip to check and that was also restricted.

Got what I wanted on between 17.5/1 and 16/1 though. Thanks for highlighting Kev.
    This has been happening to me since September.

They will only allow a certain amount per 24 hours. So in theory you could of boosted for another £20 or whatever 24hrs later.

Comment

Buried in the Donns site

Diego Du Charmil (Paul Nicholls)

Diego Du Charmil could finish only fifth of five in the Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter on his debut this season, but there was mitigation. He suffered an over-reach during the race, and he lost a shoe, which explains why he faded so quickly after travelling so well.

He shaped like a talented young chaser last spring. He was travelling like a likely winner in a decent novices’ handicap chase at Ascot in March when he came down at the third last fence, but he bounced out of that to win the Grade 1 Maghull Chase at Aintree, when he had Petit Mouchoir behind him in second place.

He was well beaten by Altior in the Celebration Chase at Sandown on his final run last season, and that, combined with his last-of-five run on his debut this term, may mean that he is a little under-rated now. He is only six, he has lots of scope for progression and, winner of the Fred Winter Hurdle in 2016, he will be of interest at the Cheltenham Festival again this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        The Storyteller
        Just wins the Coral Cup doesn't he.Gordon has already mentioned his mark over hurdles
        13 lbs lower (at least) - handicapper won't be able to do anything about it at Cheltenham.
        5L behind Min/Shattered Love/Balko Des Flos today...

Just so obvious.
        Eye catching performance. Loved the way he traveled. Could be a very good call Kev.

Comment

Bha unveiled there changes after findings from previous festivals today iv'e just read
          The BHA on Wednesday released the findings of its review into the fatalities at this year's Cheltenham Festival, with changes aimed at improving... Read More

Most notable - jockeys in the martin pipe are no longer entitled to claim any weight off , therefore encouraging booking jockeys with more experience .
          Any 2 mile chase race has a maximum field of 20 so Grand annual could be a little harder to get into this year potentially.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
            Bha unveiled there changes after findings from previous festivals today iv'e just read
            The BHA on Wednesday released the findings of its review into the fatalities at this year's Cheltenham Festival, with changes aimed at improving... Read More

Most notable - jockeys in the martin pipe are no longer entitled to claim any weight off , therefore encouraging booking jockeys with more experience .
            Any 2 mile chase race has a maximum field of 20 so Grand annual could be a little harder to get into this year potentially.
            That's a good change for the latter. Grand annual was an awful spectacle last year. Far too many runners.
            https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
            Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Yeah not many will disagree i'd imagine Scooby.

Comment

Is that confirmed or just recommendations?

Comment

Recommendations as of today, but it says action plan to be confirmed and implemented from feb 2019 so i'm assuming it will be in effect by next festival

Comment

Recommendations as of today, but it says action plan to be confirmed and implemented from feb 2019 so i'm assuming it will be in effect by next festival
                    Agree with the Grand Annual, that's been a logical move mooted by some over a few seasons.

The conditional jockeys surprises me, I guess the stufdy shows more fatalities in those races? Or more falls? I wouldn't have thought there was a strong correlation between jockeys experience and number of falls - I've always thought a horses jumping is hugely down to the horse rather than jockey?

Comment

Surprised they don't move grand annual either, it always looks dark when they run that.
                      Or is that cos my life is about to be duller for another long year.

Comment

Doesn't give any reason bar to encourage booking more experienced jockeys, Could speculate and say as each race is getting more competitive and better horses are required to enter , some owners might not want an inexperienced jockey on there horse. Having said that many in that race come from big stables so highly doubt it plus some of these claimers might not in future be good enough to ride at the festival again so seems a bit harsh tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                          Surprised they don't move grand annual either, it always looks dark when they run that.
                          Or is that cos my life is about to be duller for another long year.
                          Haha! It's hard to pick what race should be last though.

I'm usually exhausted. I didn't bother with it in my first two betting festivals (probably as I was only watching on TV and partly because I wouldn't have heard of anything in the races). Only had the winner once, although had a horse place every year bar 2016. Not interesting but it was right in front of me

Comment

Doesn't give any reason bar to encourage booking more experienced jockeys, Could speculate and say as each race is getting more competitive and better horses are required to enter , some owners might not want an inexperienced jockey on there horse. Having said that many in that race come from big stables so highly doubt it plus some of these claimers might not in future be good enough to ride at the festival again so seems a bit harsh tbh.
                            It'd take away from the race in my opinion.

A good claimer can really make a difference (in a similar way the top amatuers make a difference) which is part of that unique puzzle.

If someone produces evidence they're "bad hor horses wellbeing" then I'd happily accept that isn't important, but there just can't be a direct correlation between horses dying and number and number of winners can there?

Comment

Yeah i wouldn't of thought so, they might make few more tactical errors but would be surprised if there was evidence to support fatalities/accidents .Any shrewd trainer will say whilst a good 7lb claimer is worth there weight in gold if you get them on side early doors, but if they rate the jockey anyway the difference between one claiming a few extra lbs in a race like this wouldn't sway them too much if faith in a particular jockey even with small margins making differences in these competitive races.

Comment

The thing with that article that surprised me was to read that a 7th horse was also put down after the festival due to complications with surgery.

But it didn’t name the horse? Was it hidden deliberately? Does anyone know which horse?

Comment

Working...
                                X