Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup - 2019.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok punters, time to play Be The Bookie. As per the Champion Hurdle thread, working out your own book sometimes gives a clearer picture.

As a guide, Paddy Power, who some think have the best angle on Irish form (not necessarily true), go:

9/2 Presenting Percy (6/1)
    7/1 Native River (10/1)
    8/1 Might Bite (12/1)
    10/1 Road To Respect (8/1)
    16/1 Sizing John (16/1)
    16/1 Footpad (16/1)
    20/1 Bristol De Mai (20/1)
    20/1 Bellshill (12/1)
    20/1 Balko Des Flos (20/1)
    20/1 Monalee (16/1)
    25/1 Definitly Red (25/1)
    25/1 Al Boum Photo (16/1)
    25/1 Thistlecrack (16/1)
    giving a 93.3% book
    plus 8 (Shattered Love/Killultagh Vic/Disko/Terrefort/Kemboy/Anibale Fly/Politologue/Waiting Patiently) at 33/1
    which takes the book up to 116.5%.

My prices (in brackets) add up to 92.8% and of the 33/1 shots, I'd probably have Kemboy and Shattered Love on 25/1 with Killultagh Vic and Politologue on 40/1.

If you have a go, there's no point in being smart and having a 70% or 150% book unless you can make the business case.
    Last edited by archie; 25 November 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      I was at Haydock yesterday, what an anti-climax

I was hoping the bookies would massively over-react on Might Bite and they haven't really. I wouldn't completely rule him out because of his previous form but he's been too short for me to consider all summer and I'm happy to leave him now, the KG is a much more likely race for MB to win and he'll be a backable price for that now I'd imagine, although I think the field will have a few Irish challangers (Disko and Bellshill) that won't be afraid to have a crack at him now!

Presenting Percy fans (especially those on at 40/1 ) will clearly be pleased with the result today - but I completely see why you'd look for alternatives because 5/1 is still short regardless of what happened yesterday.

If I was starting completely fresh, with nothing backed, I'd say Road To Respect would be the best bet at 16s (18/1) because he's shown the best form so far this season and we know it's the target.

I couldn't have Native River at (standout 7/1) either. I don't see why Tizzard is so pleased really, getting beaten by Bristol De Mai on good ground isn't anything to crow about and he's way too short for me. I can't see any way I back him because he won't get anywhere near double figures and that is what I'd want.
      Don't you think 9-1 for the Gold cup is an overreaction ?
      I do, as the King George will likely thin out as usual (and he's still favourite and most likely winner), and the best of the Irish tend not to come, apart from the one great race a couple of years ago, don't think any came last year, and the King George is definitely more suited to Might Bite who may well have not been right yesterday, be surprised if Nicky don't find something (he usually does).

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
        Ok punters, time to play Be The Bookie. As per the Champion Hurdle thread, working out your own book sometimes gives a clearer picture.

As a guide, Paddy Power, who some think have the best angle on Irish form (not necessarily true), go:

9/2 Presenting Percy (6/1)
        7/1 Native River (10/1)
        8/1 Might Bite (12/1)
        10/1 Road To Respect (8/1)
        16/1 Sizing John (16/1)
        16/1 Footpad (16/1)
        20/1 Bristol De Mai (20/1)
        20/1 Bellshill (12/1)
        20/1 Balko Des Flos (20/1)
        20/1 Monalee (16/1)
        25/1 Definitly Red (25/1)
        25/1 Al Boum Photo (16/1)
        25/1 Thistlecrack (16/1)
        giving a 93.3% book
        plus 7 (Shattered Love/Killultagh Vic/Terrefort/Kemboy/Anibale Fly/Politilogue/Waiting Patiently) at 33/1
        which takes the book up to 113.6%.

My prices (in brackets) add up to 92.8% and of the 33/1 shots, I'd probably have Kemboy and Shattered Love on 25/1 with Killultagh Vic and Politilogue on 40/1.

If you have a go, there's no point in being smart and having a 70% or 150% book unless you can make the business case.
        9/2 Presenting Percy 13/2
        7/1 Native River 7/1
        8/1 Might Bite 8/1
        10/1 Road To Respect 8/1
        16/1 Sizing John 16/1
        16/1 Footpad 25/1
        20/1 Bristol De Mai 14/1
        20/1 Bellshill 20/1
        20/1 Balko Des Flos 50/1
        20/1 Monalee 16/1
        25/1 Definitly Red 50/1
        25/1 Al Boum Photo 10/1
        25/1 Thistlecrack 25/1
        Shattered love 16/1
        Politologue 25/1
        Kemboy 25/1
        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• What price can I have for Disko?

Comment

• Originally posted by quevega View Post
            Don't you think 9-1 for the Gold cup is an overreaction ?
            I do, as the King George will likely thin out as usual (and he's still favourite and most likely winner), and the best of the Irish tend not to come, apart from the one great race a couple of years ago, don't think any came last year, and the King George is definitely more suited to Might Bite who may well have not been right yesterday, be surprised if Nicky don't find something (he usually does).
            I was driving back at the time and wanted double jono to tell me he was double figures.... and he was 9/1 - so just about no

I guess I'd rather take him at 4/1 for the King George than 9/1 for the Gold CUp after yesterday and play it that way

I have £50 in free bets from yesterday so I could potentially have that at the 8/1. I'm not ruling him out, I just wanted him to be bigger....
            Last edited by Kevloaf; 25 November 2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boopa View Post
              What price can I have for Disko?
              I omitted him from the 33/1 list. Probably about right although you can get 50/1 elsewhere. I'll update the original post.

Comment

• Assuming all were fit and well. Put these in order of staying the Gold Cup trip on good to soft.

Monalee
                Politilogue
                Kemboy
                Disko
                Thistlecrack
                Balko Des Flos
                Footpad

There's a lot of non-stayers in there for me. Interested to see your opinions.

Comment

Assuming all were fit and well. Put these in order of staying the Gold Cup trip on good to soft.

Monalee
                  Politilogue
                  Kemboy
                  Disko
                  Thistlecrack
                  Balko Des Flos
                  Footpad

Balko Des Flos
                  Kemboy
                  Thistlecrack
                  Monalee
                  Disko
                  Other two not tested over jumps yet so no idea, but I'd be tempted to put Footpad top of the list on my eye, and Politologue bottom.

Comment

Assuming all were fit and well. Put these in order of staying the Gold Cup trip on good to soft.

Monalee
                    Politilogue
                    Kemboy
                    Disko
                    Thistlecrack
                    Balko Des Flos
                    Footpad

That's not a legitimate question though. They would all 'stay' the Gold Cup trip if the opposition was weak enough. Just because one horse finishes in front of another, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better stayer.
                    Which do you think are non-stayers?

Comment

Monalee
                      Politilogue
                      Kemboy
                      Disko
                      Thistlecrack
                      Balko Des Flos
                      Footpad

Footpad wouldn't stay imo. Theres no way he'll go here anyway.

Monalee is debatable how well he finishes his races, however he expended energy last year, he diddnt do it 1st time up this year he looks to have relaxed and matured to my eye.

Politologue we'll find out somewhat in the king George. I'd be open to him staying the king George trip. But I personally hope it comes up soft so he won t run.

Balko des flos just isn't that good his form either side of his Ryanair run is bang average. No reason he wouldn't stay.

Disko would stay. Would take a leap of faith on him with a fractured skull and countless previous injuries/ setbacks from a young age. To think he could be at he peak/ or have improved.
                      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

That's not a legitimate question though. They would all 'stay' the Gold Cup trip if the opposition was weak enough. Just because one horse finishes in front of another, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better stayer.
                        Which do you think are non-stayers?
                        Yeah, I dont' agree with the non stayers thought process either, but my list is based on who I'd favour (right now).

Comment

• When is a Gold Cup weak and run at a slow pace? It always a stamina test.

Comment

• So which are the non-stayers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                              Footpad wouldn't stay imo. Theres no way he'll go here anyway.

Monalee is debatable how well he finishes his races, however he expended energy last year, he diddnt do it 1st time up this year he looks to have relaxed and matured to my eye.

Politologue we'll find out somewhat in the king George. I'd be open to him staying the king George trip. But I personally hope it comes up soft so he won t run.

Balko des flos just isn't that good his form either side of his Ryanair run is bang average. No reason he wouldn't stay.

Disko would stay. Would take a leap of faith on him with a fractured skull and countless previous injuries/ setbacks from a young age. To think he could be at he peak/ or have improved.
                              Balko des flos has two stand out performances in his form, in the two best races he's ran in, which makes him a dangerous outsider in all his big races. The poor runs mean he is a risk, but I think you'll always get a price accordingly.

Hope we see Footpad stepped up in trip as he's potentially better IMO . Hi jumping was so good last year he could have gone any trip and been competitive.

Comment

So which are the non-stayers?
                                I don't think Politilogue, Kemboy or Monalee would stay they race too keen. Balko Des Flos I'm not sure about. Disko I think would stay, just keeps galloping and was strong to the line over 3m. Footpad will improve over further but a doubtful stayer. Thistlecrack is an odd one, travels too strong but has proven it stays. Wouldn't bet a horse with that profile though.

Comment

Working...
                                X