Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Close Brothers Novice Handicap Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archie View Post
    I think they'll want >140 for CSS so expect him to go well.
    Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
    I think we can put a line through those two. On that run, if you can call it a run, Ballyandy will be lucky to win another race in his career. It was so desperate I suppose they might try some sort of headgear.
    I thought Coo Star Sivola was going to win when Lizzie Kelly made a move around the outside... I haven't backed Coo Star Sivola, but because he went wide all the way, in Heavy ground (that he has never shown any form in on 2 previous attemtps) I am not taking him off the shortlist...

Form with Good in the description: 2321453

The form isn't awful in Heavy as 4th yesterday wasn't disgraceful, but 8th in Auteuil and a 3rd in a Juvenile race are the only other attempts

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      I thought Coo Star Sivola was going to win when Lizzie Kelly made a move around the outside... I haven't backed Coo Star Sivola, but because he went wide all the way, in Heavy ground (that he has never shown any form in on 2 previous attemtps) I am not taking him off the shortlist...

The form isn't awful in Heavy as 4th yesterday wasn't disgraceful, but 8th in Auteuil and a 3rd in a Juvenile race are the only other attempts
      They need to find a quick boost to his rating as I can't see there being more than 5lbs from top to bottom in this, maybe even less.

Comment

Sizing Tennessee down to 145
        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
          Sizing Tennessee down to 145
          Thought he was a cracking bet nrnb for the Ultima at 20s so took some of that, didn't think he might creep in here. Even saw him touted for the 4 miler so Ultima maybe more likely if they see him as a stayer?

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
            another jp possible ( via the donn)

Hell’s Kitchen
            Hell’s Kitchen put up a really impressive performance to win the 2m 4f novices’ handicap chase. He settled well in front for Barry Geraghty and, even though Mister Whitaker closed on him over the last two fences, he found plenty on the run-in, going on to win by a length and a half, with the pair of them clear. The time was good too, marginally faster than Racing Post par.

JP McManus’ horse has always been a horse with lots of potential, and this was a really encouraging performance. Winner of just one of his three races over hurdles, he is built for fences. This was just his fourth run over the larger obstacles and just his third completion, and it was a career-best. He is learning to settle better as he is gaining in experience, and he should continue to progress as continues to learn to settle. The handicapper raised him by 7lb to a mark of 144, but he has the potential to go beyond that mark now over fences.

Kempton, 26th December 2017
            A horse I have been waiting to see from this race is Reigning Supreme, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this reply but nonetheless, the horse has been entered in the last 2 weeks over both fences and hurdles over 3m, but did not take up either engagement. His only current entry at the festival is in the 4 miler. Why I regard him with interest is as follows.

In the last 5 years, Henderson has taken 4 horses to that race at Kempton.

Rajdhani Express - Won Close Brothers.
            Ericht - Went off Fav for Close Brothers. PU after making a bad mistake early.
            Gold Present - 2nd in Close Brothers.
            Full Shift - 4th in Plate.

It's obviously a race he sends a decent one to and RS looks thoroughly unexposed with just 3 runs over hurdles and 1 over fences.

The hurdling entry really caught my eye, I wouldn't be surprised if Nicky tries to get him qualified for the Pertemps in February a la Call The Cops a few years back. I asked B365 for odds on this, pertemps and coral cup but they weren't prepared to give me a price. As soon as I see a confirmed engagement I will be getting on.

Comment

I wouldn't rule out CSS this year. There was a good word going around for him last year for the Martin Pipe where he came 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
                I wouldn't rule out CSS this year. There was a good word going around for him last year for the Martin Pipe where he came 4th.
                He won't make the cut off his current mark so they're going to have to find a win somewhere. I think the plan was probably to win on trials day to get the necessary rating increase but it didn't pan out.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                  They need to find a quick boost to his rating as I can't see there being more than 5lbs from top to bottom in this, maybe even less.
                  Yes, I agree unfortunately.

My shortlist will continue to be a list of horses I think will win that won't get in

Comment

Hell's Kitchen has been put up collaterlly to 145, so will be off top weight in this Mister Whittaker was raised to 137 after winning.

Price of 6/1 NRNB is incredibly tight - 10/1 with WH and their concession.

Did anyone get a big price on Hell's KItchen? Completely passed me by!

Comment

Hell's Kitchen has been put up collaterlly to 145, so will be off top weight in this Mister Whittaker was raised to 137 after winning.

He s the 1st horse I thought of in this ages ago but he's too high now. Has little if anything in hand.
                      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                        He s the 1st horse I thought of in this ages ago but he's too high now. Has little if anything in hand.
                        Looks like he will make the market in a way.... JP horse fav for a handicap will keep him where he is! I am tempted to take 10/1 with WH and trade out!

Comment

Looks like he will make the market in a way.... JP horse fav for a handicap will keep him where he is! I am tempted to take 10/1 with WH and trade out!
                          He's always been considered a talented horse with a great engine, but he didn't settle in his early career. His win at Kempton from the front seemed to unlock some of the potential so he's a very solid bet. One thing to remember is that this is basically a conditions race due to the tight handicap and has become much more difficult to plot a horse up. I'd be surprised if Hells Kitchen does not prove to be better than 145 at some point, it's just whether his jumping will hold up at Cheltenham and he'll get another uncontested lead.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                            He's always been considered a talented horse with a great engine, but he didn't settle in his early career. His win at Kempton from the front seemed to unlock some of the potential so he's a very solid bet. One thing to remember is that this is basically a conditions race due to the tight handicap and has become much more difficult to plot a horse up. I'd be surprised if Hells Kitchen does not prove to be better than 145 at some point, it's just whether his jumping will hold up at Cheltenham and he'll get another uncontested lead.
                            Almost certainly not on the latter, the uncontested lead is too unlikely in a big field.

Have you got many on the shortlist for this JM. From memeory you had a good handle on the handicaps last year?

Comment

Almost certainly not on the latter, the uncontested lead is too unlikely in a big field.

Have you got many on the shortlist for this JM. From memeory you had a good handle on the handicaps last year?
                              This is probably the most difficult race to get an early steer on due to the tight ratings band. Throw in the fact that the Irish horses are also going to get taxed by Phil Smith and it makes it nigh on impossible to know if any horses from across the sea will even get in.

I did have an eye on Any Second Now as he's been highly tried and beaten by very good horses - I also think this is his best trip. The downside is that he's already on 145 in Ireland so you can probably discount him already from this race.

Comment

Hell’s Kitchen is an intended runner in Ireland this weekend, potentially will be rated too high to get in this after the weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X