Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

National Hunt Chase (4 miler) 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballyoptic is now the fav for this race after beating Elegant Escape today ... 20/1 best price (also 25/1 best price RSA and cut to 12/1 with Lad?!)

I'll leave it up to jono to assess, but Nigel Twister had a 4-timer today, his horses are in fine form and March is a long way away... but the mistake 3 out for Elegant Escape probably wasn't the only reason he got beat today...

Comment

Interesting to look at NTD's stats over the last few years. October is his most successful month although he's ok in December and March. Just a possibility that he gets his going earlier than some and makes hay while the sun shines. The December and March figures indicate that he's pretty good at maximising his best horses but I wouldn't be inclined to go overboard about early season success. I'd prefer to see a December follow up before backing for the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        I'll leave it up to jono to assess, but Nigel Twister had a 4-timer today, his horses are in fine form and March is a long way away... but the mistake 3 out for Elegant Escape probably wasn't the only reason he got beat today...
        Yeah NTD has his runners in red hot form, as he often does early in the season. I'd be suprised if Ballyoptic was to run in this race, unless he gets put in his place later on in the year. In quick glance I struggle to see NTD's other options in the RSA. He is a bullish trainer who rarely backs away from any challenges.

I don't think even without the mistake 3 out it would have made a difference but I think Elegant Escape has bumped into 2 smart horses in Ballyoptic and Mia's Storm. From the Chepstow race - Mia's Storm bolted up at Newbury today and Mr Mix (11 lengths back) has won since as well. Ballyoptic I think will continue that strong form as the season goes on. Both of the winners set a good standard so I don't see too many negatives in Elegant Escape's runs so far this season. I think archie mentioned previously that it's a race where a string of 1's are uncommon (last 2 winners for example had seasonal form of 14U222133 and 3P62) so it's no major worry.

It would be nice to see him get his head in front but If they follow Native River's path again then Newbury and Kempton will follow. and both races could be even more of a step up in class so it will be interesting to see how he gets on there. It wouldn't surprise me to see him find one or two better again if that's the case but I'm still more than satisfied so far.

Comment

Impulsive Star went off 8/1 favourite for the Pertemps at the festival last season. (well beaten)

Owned by his father, has had Sam Waley-Cohen on when beaten behind Wholestone in the Albert Bartlett trial at Cheltenham but he has ridden him on 4 of his 5 starts for Mulholland. (including 2 wins)

Is going chasing and is entered up in the 3m race at Exeter this weekend. (Also entered ... Wait For Me, Flintham, Sizing Tennessee and a few others at the moment) but that is the race that AMERICAN and ONENIGHTINVIENNA have won in the last couple of years and I like both of those.

33/1 at the moment for the NH chase, would need to improve for a fence on his hurdling form, but purely on the fact this looks to be an incredibly obvious target (trainer has had runners in the race before that have gone off shortish prices), he might be one that'll be a bit shorter after the first run, and much shorter on the day down to jockey alone?

Comment

Impulsive Star went off 8/1 favourite for the Pertemps at the festival last season. (well beaten)

Owned by his father, has had Sam Waley-Cohen on when beaten behind Wholestone in the Albert Bartlett trial at Cheltenham but he has ridden him on 4 of his 5 starts for Mulholland. (including 2 wins)

Is going chasing and is entered up in the 3m race at Exeter this weekend. (Also entered ... Wait For Me, Flintham, Sizing Tennessee and a few others at the moment) but that is the race that AMERICAN and ONENIGHTINVIENNA have won in the last couple of years and I like both of those.

33/1 at the moment for the NH chase, would need to improve for a fence on his hurdling form, but purely on the fact this looks to be an incredibly obvious target (trainer has had runners in the race before that have gone off shortish prices), he might be one that'll be a bit shorter after the first run, and much shorter on the day down to jockey alone?
            They were already talking about him as a future chaser last season so you'd hope for improvement for sure. The Sire is not really one on my radar but Waley-Cohen does tend to buy chasers.

Where would you rate Sam in the amateur jockey ranks?

Comment

Shambles this market on oddschecker. Death Duty favourite? Won’t be going 3 miles let alone 4

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                They were already talking about him as a future chaser last season so you'd hope for improvement for sure. The Sire is not really one on my radar but Waley-Cohen does tend to buy chasers.

Where would you rate Sam in the amateur jockey ranks?
                4th.

Codd
                O'Connor
                Nina
                Sam Waley-Cohen.

That's good to hear regarding chasing ... wasn't aware of those comments.

Comment

Hoping for a nice staying on performance today from Impulsive Star!

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post

I've also added a second bet in this race tonight with Elegant Escape at 50/1. I thought he made a more than saticfactory chase debut at Chepstow recently but just lacked the pace of Mia's Storm at the finish. As an ex Point to Pointer he jumped really well. It's also worth noting they started him off at 23.5F suggesting he needs at least 3 miles and has bags of stamina. In Tizzard's RP stable tour last week:

Jamie Codd rode the horse in his PTP (behind Samcro) and had this to say at the start of last season:

Jamie Codd will want to be on the best horse in the race but the fact he did ride the horse in his PTP and had good things to say means there is a chance he may end up linking up if Elegant Escape is one of the main contenders for the race. Although he has often teamed up with Gordon Elliott, he showed last year by choosing AGenieinabottle for Noel Meade that it's not a given. Unlike my concerns with Debece, i'm also confident that Tizzard could persuade one of the top jockeys to get the ride, particularly with his stock being a a career high these last few years. Derek O'Connor famously switched to Minella Rocco but he had initially agreed to ride Native River.

And speaking of Native River - it's worth noting just how similar a path Elegant Escape's career so far has mirrored the Hennessy and Welsh National winner's novice hurdle campaign. Both one a couple of novice hurdles, then stepped markedly up in the Challow Hurdle and Albert Bartlett. (Both disappointed in these 2 races) Like Native River, Elegant Escape started his chasing career off at Chepstow and particularly after Colin Tizzards recent comments it looks likely he could follow NR and line up in the 4 Miler.

Before the Chepstow run Joe Tizzard (before Colin's comments in the RP stable tour) had some good words on him saying he's one of their top novice chasers and that he's summered well and grown into his body:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joe Tizzard says Elegant Escape is one of their top novice chasers! He runs today in the 2:15 at Chepstow. <a href="https://t.co/zzTxtewZKx">pic.twitter.com/zzTxtewZKx</a></p>— Coral (@Coral) <a href="https://twitter.com/Coral/status/919470415243722752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
                    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Plenty to like for me and at 50/1 (with William Hill) is well worth getting involved now. He will run again at the November meeting.

I'm half tempted to add Fagan in at 25's as well as it looks an almost certain target now, and even if Codd wasn't to team up with Elliott again, Lisa O'Neill could very well take up the ride and she proved her talent in big field chases when winning this race with Tiger Roll last year along with 2 Kerry National successes. That said, I cannot really see the price altering too much now so i'm in no rush to get involved there.

Nearer the time I will 100% be adding the horse(s) with the highest OR such as their fantastic record over the last 7 years.

Elegant Escape 0.5pts EW 50/1[/B]
                    Worth flagging this up .... in to 20/1 now.... was with jono at Newbury yesterday and we backed Elegant Escape at 12/1 the night before and was a lovely performance. Bit of after-timing but think jono deserves some credit as its obviously a good spot! Under the radar!

50/1 looking good now!

Comment

I thought of Jono as soon as he crossed the line so glad you both backed him yesterday. Tizzard mentioned the RSA afterwards but I hope he goes here for those that took the 50's.

Where is Jono? He hasn't been on here for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                        I thought of Jono as soon as he crossed the line so glad you both backed him yesterday. Tizzard mentioned the RSA afterwards but I hope he goes here for those that took the 50's.

Where is Jono? He hasn't been on here for a while.
                        He'll be back soon .... "quality not quantity" Maybe I should take a leaf haha

I asked him about RSA but he pointed out he's taken the exact same route as Native River so far again so willing to stick with it.... won't exactly be a short price in the RSA so plenty of time to change I suppose

Comment

Did anyone like the Presenting Percy performance today?

Travelled like a dream and it more than looked like the step up suited

Comment

Really like presenting percy.would like to see him in the rsa I think he would have a big chance

Comment

Originally posted by Aldie1988 View Post
                              Did anyone like the Presenting Percy performance today?

Travelled like a dream and it more than looked like the step up suited
                              I did back 0.5 pts e/w at 33/1 BUT I do feel like it was more a 'bounce back' to form, so would probably think RSA still.... although I backed it for this after the race so a possibility!

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines. Just think the way the race panned out and a slower pace helped him. Looked like there was still a lot more fuel to burn at the end as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X