Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

RSA Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some WPM quotes re Invitation Only Kev! Screams RSA horse all day to me...

After race at Gowran Park Sat, 26th Nov, 2016 (1st) that was a good jumping performance, and we'll look for a novice now around Christmas. He’ll have no problem going up in trip and we think he stays all day, and I was also delighted to see him show that turn of foot. W P Mullins

After race at Gowran Park Sat, 26th Nov, 2016 (1st) He's another point-to-point horse and he seems to improve as the season goes on. He's done that for the last two years. I'd say drier ground suits him but it will be good to get him going and hopefully he can get off to a good start. W P Mullins

After race at Punchestown Thu, 28th Apr, 2016 (1st) he looks a decent sort - he's a stayer and will go novice hurdling next year. W P Mullins

After race at Navan Sun, 13th Mar, 2016 (1st) He's done a lot of good work at home. He's a galloper and it's a pity we didn't have him ready in time for Cheltenham. I'd imagine he'll go to Punchestown for a winners' race. He's a staying chaser for the future. W P Mullins

Comment

• He's beaten Any Second Now almost as easily as Monalee did so the price differential between them two seems wrong to me. By Flemensfirth as well, so 3m likely to suit well.

Comment

• Invitation Only leads Any Second Now at the last
        ©Healy Racing Photos By Alan Magee
        Invitation Only got his chasing career back on track when taking the Mervyn Gray Construstion Beginners Chase at Navan.

The Flemensfirth gelding was held in very high regard before things unravelled a bit in the last 12 months, and the point-to-point winner fell when sent chasing at Punchestown last month.

However Paul Townend popped him out in front in this 2m4f event, and the 2/1 chance jumped well to make all.

Willie Mullins’ charge was challenged early in the straight by well-backed 10/11 favourite Any Second Now but shrugged off that rival before the final fence.

He kept on strongly on the run-in to score by four and a quarter lengths, with Moulin A Vent plugging on a further five and a half lengths adrift in third.

Townend said, “There was no-one anxious to go on so I said I'd let him pop away. He jumped spectacular, I thought, down the straight from the fourth last home. He had a good look early on and learned from his mistake the last day. That's what you like to see with novices.

“They can all fall. His schooling had been good and it probably just opened his eyes for him.

“We got racing good and early and were quickening the whole way down the straight. I was very impressed with him. I didn't think we hung around and I quickened up smarter than I thought we would in that ground. It rode a nice race.

“I don't think three miles would be a problem to him but on that ground two-and-a-half is far enough.”

Comment

• Great stuff. 33/1 too big. Let's hope we are smarter than the PP odds complilers who are in the know haha

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            Great stuff. 33/1 too big. Let's hope we are smarter than the PP odds complilers who are in the know haha
            Haha. First time for everything

Comment

• IO owes me a few quid. Was one of my main antepost bets last year for the Neptune.

Comment

• I had bits and pieces for him in the JLT but with those comments it does look like RSA is the way

Comment

• Finians Oscar going to 3m in the Kauto Star next.

I never envisaged the RSA but it it is now an option. Personally think 2m4f at Cheltenham would be fine in his novice year but he certainly has a stayers engine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Ferof View Post
                    Finians Oscar going to 3m in the Kauto Star next.

I never envisaged the RSA but it it is now an option. Personally think 2m4f at Cheltenham would be fine in his novice year but he certainly has a stayers engine.
                    Thought 2m4 around Cheltenham up the hill would have been grand.
                    If hes judged on today he wouldn't win anything but Tizzard must be cursing himself all the way home this evening, a really poor decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
                      Thought 2m4 around Cheltenham up the hill would have been grand.
                      If hes judged on today he wouldn't win anything but Tizzard must be cursing himself all the way home this evening, a really poor decision.
                      Cursing himself? Better to find out today than in March?

Got to wonder how much he rates the RSA compared to the JLT?

He ruled out the RSA which just shows how quickly things can change!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        Cursing himself? Better to find out today than in March?

Got to wonder how much he rates the RSA compared to the JLT?

He ruled out the RSA which just shows how quickly things can change!
                        There was no need to find out in march Kev about the shorter trip. Over fences - certainly last day he won staying on. It was never going to suit. Going back in trip made no sense whatsoever. You don't run in races just to rule later targets out, you run to suit the horse.
                        Apologies I don't phrase these too well, and I don't want to go into too much because I don't like to see anyone do their dough so I don't want to seem like i'm having a go.
                        I have him backed for the JLT and not the RSA and I wont be rebacking in the longer race until I see that today has not done proper harm to the horses confidence. I'm genuinely very disappointed in Tizzard.

Comment

• You can't say it was never going to suit ... I appreciate that's absolutely right but they genuinly thought he was good enough to win the Arkle and was backed as I'd that was the case today.

I thought the horse was good enough despite it not being good optimum trip. .. as top class horses can.

Today, for me, he has proven to not be a superstar ... which could be argued anyway as he got beaten by Bacardys ... but I don't blame Tizzard for aiming high and finding out now?

Don't worry about what you've backed ... I can take it on the chin. I'm convinced I was right that the Arkle would have been the target before he ran ... which I gambled on being a good bet at 16/1 .... now that was before he ran, when he did it raised question marks about him being taken off his feet but I thought he was good enough to over come that! Turns out I was wrong so now the JLT looks more suitable .... If he'd have been 4/1 I wouldn't have had the bet ... but as he was backed in to fav today I think I was not alone!

I agree about not backing for the RSA at this stage ... I'm disappointed with the horse, not trainer though.

Not the first or last time I'll be wrong though, sorry to anyone i convinced to follow me in!

Comment

• Theres no need to apologize to anyone. You are one of the best posters on this forum (I follow you on twitter too mate lol). You took a strong view and put up your reasons for this. Everyone needs to follow their gut in this sport, sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't. I followed you in on Will Court after one of your posts. Sitting on 12s now about a horse who is as low as 5s. It was the smart cover for FO and well highlighted.
                            I find it hard to get the tone right in typing messages on forums, so apologies again if I came across wrong. But P.S I am disappointed in the trainer lol.

Comment

• Haha that's very kind! Not sure you'll get much out of following me on Twitter though

Comment

• Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
                                Theres no need to apologize to anyone. You are one of the best posters on this forum (I follow you on twitter too mate lol). You took a strong view and put up your reasons for this. Everyone needs to follow their gut in this sport, sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't. I followed you in on Will Court after one of your posts. Sitting on 12s now about a horse who is as low as 5s. It was the smart cover for FO and well highlighted.
                                I find it hard to get the tone right in typing messages on forums, so apologies again if I came across wrong. But P.S I am disappointed in the trainer lol.
                                I was at sandown today and was listening to Tizzard chat to a connection after he had spoken to the press. Sounds like Robbie Power told him the horse doesn't know what he is doing and doesn't know his job which would be very concerning. His jumping has been iffy/poor in all three starts and from that comment I don't think it is likely to greatly improve. I have backed FO in a lot of multiples for the jlt, some which are looking pretty good, and am a bit disappointed they are now saying rsa. He looked very good coming up the hill last time out but wonder if the presence of death duty and willoughby court is making them think rsa. Either way I can't say I hold a great deal of hope in any race on hearing his comments today.

Comment

Working...
                                X