Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've said this before, but feel like Ricci has backed it up today on RUK that they'll end up AVOIDING Altior. He was saying it depends on Min who looks like he's improved which to me is the line they'll keep using and although I think its not true (that he can best Altior), they'd rather win a race with Douvan and let Min get beaten.

The thing with Min is, they've got nothing to lose if taking on Altior. If Altior beats Min, No one really gets stung and Min has been an attractive price ... But Douvan needs another festival win to "make amends" ...

Right at the end ... talking up Min .... gives them options with American Tom, Min and Douvan.

Writing is on the wall already that Douvan goes over further!
    Last edited by Kevloaf; 12 November 2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      I've said this before, but feel like Ricci has backed it up today on RUK that they'll end up AVOIDING Altior. He was saying it depends on Min who looks like he's improved which to me is the line they'll keep using and although I think its not true (that he can best Altior), they'd rather win a race with Douvan and let Min get beaten.

The thing with Min is, they've got nothing to lose if taking on Altior. If Altior beats Min, No one really gets stung and Min has been an attractive price ... But Douvan needs another festival win to "make amends" ...

Right at the end ... talking up Min .... gives them options with American Tom, Min and Douvan.

Writing is on the wall already that Douvan goes over further!
      We will see but pp odds have said it all from along way out. Been shortest by 4 points to the nearest bookmaker since July .And top price for ryan air

Look at yesterday they were 14s already next destination for the neptune when everybody else 25s and 33s

They are ducking yorkhill for the gold cup. Faugheen CH Annamix supreme mystic theatre mares novice . Getabird ballymore
      Bacardys rsa. Haven't introduced footpad yet but will make him short when they do after he runs today.
      Last edited by Scooby91; 12 November 2017, 10:19 AM.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Gosh 7/2 for Douvan looks particularly short in this market, a horse coming back from an injury that could be easily stepped up in trip that will have to take on one of the best horses Nicky Henderson has ever trained, that does look a little short for me, but i wish you the best of luck.

Comment

• My thoughts are Douvan will go for this... After all this is a Championship race and Mullins has never won it before either.

The horse will also only be 8 years old in March. If he wins, he could stay at this trip and become the dominate 2 miler (a la Sprinter Sacre). If he loses then he always has the option of being stepped up in trip the following year when he should still be at his peak.

Obviously it depends on how well he's overcome his injury, but judging from the comments he is back to normal.

I also think Min could come here also. This is probably more dependent on what else Ricci/Mullins has for the Ryanair though (American Tom potentially), but if Mullins thinks they're both true 2-milers then I think he'll throw them both at Altior.

Imagine that race, including Great Field

Comment

• Originally posted by Johar View Post
            My thoughts are Douvan will go for this... After all this is a Championship race and Mullins has never won it before either.

The horse will also only be 8 years old in March. If he wins, he could stay at this trip and become the dominate 2 miler (a la Sprinter Sacre). If he loses then he always has the option of being stepped up in trip the following year when he should still be at his peak.

Obviously it depends on how well he's overcome his injury, but judging from the comments he is back to normal.

I also think Min could come here also. This is probably more dependent on what else Ricci/Mullins has for the Ryanair though (American Tom potentially), but if Mullins thinks they're both true 2-milers then I think he'll throw them both at Altior.

Imagine that race, including Great Field
            Would be an extremely good race, I just can't see it as it's very rare mullins would throw 3 of his big ones. And ricci 2 of his main horses all in a race with a fav who's very hard to beat. Obviously they may not all make it to Cheltenham but that would be a race is be willing to pay to view.

Simular to if annie power hurricane fly and un de sceaux all would have gone to the champion hurdle the year she went to the WH.
            https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
            Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• i personally think Min, Yorkhill & Douvan will be split up if they make the festival. With Min going CC then douvan and yorkhill being split between the ryanair and gold cup. I would say those three are the first string, with Great Field, UDS, Djakadam the second string.

Pretty good second string but i cant see ruby not riding either min douvan or yorkhill if all three get to the festival.

Comment

• Originally posted by SAMCRO View Post
                i personally think Min, Yorkhill & Douvan will be split up if they make the festival. With Min going CC then douvan and yorkhill being split between the ryanair and gold cup. I would say those three are the first string, with Great Field, UDS, Djakadam the second string.

Pretty good second string but i cant see ruby not riding either min douvan or yorkhill if all three get to the festival.
                Agree with that Samcro , though feel that may change if Faugheen flops on Sunday. I reckon Yorkhill would be given the office to go back hurdling.

Comment

• Altior misses the Tingle Creek. No full update yet, Just hope he's OK!

Comment

• Altior's wind problem means he will not be ready in time to attend the Sandown meeting

I’M really disappointed to report that Altior will miss the G1 Tingle Creek at Sandown next month due to a wind problem that has surfaced which means he will not be ready in time.

He started faster work last week in the build-up to Sandown and did an excellent piece with Lough Derg Spirit last Tuesday, he was actually quite brilliant, and it is quite bizarre this has come up, as up until now he had shown no signs whatsoever that there was anything untoward.

However, he made a whistling noise on Saturday so we did an overland scope yesterday, which is basically galloping while being scoped, and between our own vet Dave Matterson and Geoff Lane they both concluded that he has a small issue with his wind whereby his larynx isn’t opening sufficiently. After discussing the matter with his owners Christopher and Pat Pugh we decided that he will need a small procedure to rectify the problem.

Unfortunately this is quite common. Indeed, Might Bite and Sprinter Sacre both had the exact same operation. Might Bite last autumn and Sprinter after the Supreme, but sadly this has reared its ugly head at the wrong time and there is nothing we can do about it. As a consequence, we have been forced to miss the Tingle Creek but hopefully he will be back in time for the Champion Chase at Cheltenham in March and perhaps the other Championship races in the spring.

Whether we are able to fit in a prep race, we don’t know and only time will tell, I certainly wouldn’t want to speculate. We can have racecourse gallops if we need too, but Altior will have a month’s box rest and we’ll go from there. His health is our only priority.

The irony of this whole thing is that it is literally a year to the day when I was forced to retire Sprinter Sacre and dear old Simonsig lost his life, so this is a week to forget but we have to face it and get on with things. We have the best advisors and surgeons ready to go and we intend to have this remedied as soon as possible, perhaps even tomorrow. The good news is that this horse doesn’t have to retire and he will be back, make no mistake about it.

The timing is brutal and it’s tough for us all and I was only saying last week how you need luck in this game to keep all the big boys going and sadly, for us, luck has run out temporarily.

Comment

• My instant reaction was a setback for the start of the season but he'd be fine for later in the year, perhaps not I didn't think a wind issue was such a setback?

Altior's wind problem means he will not be ready in time to attend the Sandown meeting

I’M really disappointed to report that Altior will miss the G1 Tingle Creek at Sandown next month due to a wind problem that has surfaced which means he will not be ready in time.

He started faster work last week in the build-up to Sandown and did an excellent piece with Lough Derg Spirit last Tuesday, he was actually quite brilliant, and it is quite bizarre this has come up, as up until now he had shown no signs whatsoever that there was anything untoward.

However, he made a whistling noise on Saturday so we did an overland scope yesterday, which is basically galloping while being scoped, and between our own vet Dave Matterson and Geoff Lane they both concluded that he has a small issue with his wind whereby his larynx isn’t opening sufficiently. After discussing the matter with his owners Christopher and Pat Pugh we decided that he will need a small procedure to rectify the problem.

Unfortunately this is quite common. Indeed, Might Bite and Sprinter Sacre both had the exact same operation. Might Bite last autumn and Sprinter after the Supreme, but sadly this has reared its ugly head at the wrong time and there is nothing we can do about it. As a consequence, we have been forced to miss the Tingle Creek but hopefully he will be back in time for the Champion Chase at Cheltenham in March and perhaps the other Championship races in the spring.

Whether we are able to fit in a prep race, we don’t know and only time will tell, I certainly wouldn’t want to speculate. We can have racecourse gallops if we need too, but Altior will have a month’s box rest and we’ll go from there. His health is our only priority.

The irony of this whole thing is that it is literally a year to the day when I was forced to retire Sprinter Sacre and dear old Simonsig lost his life, so this is a week to forget but we have to face it and get on with things. We have the best advisors and surgeons ready to go and we intend to have this remedied as soon as possible, perhaps even tomorrow. The good news is that this horse doesn’t have to retire and he will be back, make no mistake about it.

The timing is brutal and it’s tough for us all and I was only saying last week how you need luck in this game to keep all the big boys going and sadly, for us, luck has run out temporarily.
                      Last edited by jono; 15 November 2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Reassuring to hear that it's a small procedure, he'll have a month box rest and that Might Bite had the same procedure last season.
                        Hendo saying MB had the procedure last Autumn offers further reassurance as that one was on the racecourse in early November, this would suggest Altior could be back on the course before end Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                          Reassuring to hear that it's a small procedure, he'll have a month box rest and that Might Bite had the same procedure last season.
                          Hendo saying MB had the procedure last Autumn offers further reassurance as that one was on the racecourse in early November, this would suggest Altior could be back on the course before end Jan
                          That was my take from the first half of that paragraph, no major concern in terms of the season as a whole but that second half was more bleak. Fingers crossed...

Comment

• Announced via Unibet. Disgraceful.

Comment

• "hopefully he will be back in time for Cheltenham". QM betting must be in turmoil with this news.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                                Announced via Unibet. Disgraceful.
                                Is it BS then Archie

Comment

Working...
                                X