Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Arkle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of entries
    Finians Oscar entered in the Henry VIII at Sandown this weekend... must have the Arkle in their minds still

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      Speaking of entries
      Finians Oscar entered in the Henry VIII at Sandown this weekend... must have the Arkle in their minds still
      Looks a cracking little race with current entries, no doubt one or two will pull out before the day though!

Same race Altior won last season, and Henderson goes there with Brain Power, if anyone was still in 2 minds about which one of his is his favoured Arkle fancy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
        Looks a cracking little race with current entries, no doubt one or two will pull out before the day though!

Same race Altior won last season, and Henderson goes there with Brain Power, if anyone was still in 2 minds about which one of his is his favoured Arkle fancy.
        I imagine Finians Oscar will be the one that isn't there tbh.

Brain power, Capitaine and North Hill Harvey all intended to run... a convincing win from BP he'd have to go joint fav at least

Thinking about it, Skelton didn't seem to suggest NHH was up against anything other than Capitaine?
        Last edited by Kevloaf; 5 December 2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Brain power, Capitaine and North Hill Harvey all intended to run... a convincing win from BP he'd have to go joint fav at least
          You'd be hard pushed to find a reason why he wouldn't be to be honest.

Comment

I'd back Brain Power in this race all day long. Wouldn't think of backing him at Cheltenham or at any other left handed track

Comment

• Originally posted by Robante View Post
              I'd back Brain Power in this race all day long. Wouldn't think of backing him at Cheltenham or at any other left handed track
              I don't understand why they wouldn't try him left handed before Cheltenham. Connections have never mentioned that they think it an issue, but he's been beaten 25 lengths, 20 lengths and 29 lengths going left handed. You'd be pushing it to think there were excuses for all of those runs

Comment

I don't understand why they wouldn't try him left handed before Cheltenham. Connections have never mentioned that they think it an issue, but he's been beaten 25 lengths, 20 lengths and 29 lengths going left handed. You'd be pushing it to think there were excuses for all of those runs
                I genuinely think its not even in Henderson's mind, i cant seen it personally. Valid reasons for the distances he finished behind in them races over hurdles. Looks a natural over fences jumps straight as a dart, I will be suprised if it made tmuch difference.
                I'll gladly hold my hands up if it does. But I think far too much is made of it. And he's one of the leading 3 or 4 for the arkle.

Footpad
                Brain power
                Petit mouchoir
                Northill harvey
                Sceau royal

I don't think sceau royal would have the resolve to win But hes in the mix
                Last edited by Scooby91; 5 December 2017, 01:24 PM.
                https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                  I genuinely think its not even in Henderson's mind, i cant seen it personally. Valid reasons for the distances he finished behind in them races over hurdles. Looks a natural over fences jumps straight as a dart, I will be suprised if it made tmuch difference.
                  I'll gladly hold my hands up if it does. But I think far too much is made of it. And he's one of the leading 3 or 4 for the arkle.

Footpad
                  Brain power
                  Petit mouchoir
                  Northill harvey
                  Sceau royal

I don't think sceau royal would have the resolve to win But hes in the mix
                  Really weak renewal this when you see that on paper. Got to stick to my guns on Brain Power I think now, regardless of the fact that I expect he'll be favourite or thereabouts after the weekend. Those two races at Cheltenham he just looked to hate the place and gave up as soon as he was asked to find something extra. Petit Mouchoir and Footpad have him well held around Cheltenham and I have both of those backed. This weekend will be revealing whoever he is up against as I don't think he's ever beaten much of note - he'll at least be up against proven opposition this weekend (hopefully North Hill Harvey who beat him 20 lengths at Cheltenham in the Greatwood)

Comment

Really weak renewal this when you see that on paper.Got to stick to my guns on Brain Power I think now, regardless of the fact that I expect he'll be favourite or thereabouts after the weekend. Those two races at Cheltenham he just looked to hate the place and gave up as soon as he was asked to find something extra. Petit Mouchoir and Footpad have him well held around Cheltenham and I have both of those backed. This weekend will be revealing whoever he is up against as I don't think he's ever beaten much of note - he'll at least be up against proven opposition this weekend (hopefully North Hill Harvey who beat him 20 lengths at Cheltenham in the Greatwood)
                    Step forward the only potentially top class horse in the race ..... Finian's Oscar

If Brain Power is fav, Which you're right, he could very well be ... then regardless of how 'well suited ' he might be to the longer trip there is no way he hasn't got the natural ability beat any of these.

Comment

Step forward the only potentially top class horse in the race ..... Finian's Oscar

If Brain Power is fav, Which you're right, he could very well be ... then regardless of how 'well suited ' he might be to the longer trip there is no way he hasn't got the natural ability beat any of these.
                      I actually think it's a pretty strong renewal. Genuinely. Not a standout miles ahead horse before this weekend. But very competative. And some of the highest ever rated hurdlers to ever go chasing. And even rarer to go chasing in there prime.
                      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

You can see exactly why Finians' connections would be eyeing this up - to my eye the more prestigious race is also very winnable for them. I hope he goes here, Bamako Moriviere is a real dark horse for me in the JLT and i'd love to get stuck into him at fancy prices if I knew Finians was Arkle bound

Comment

I actually think it's a pretty strong renewal. Genuinely. Not a standout miles ahead horse before this weekend. But very competative. And some of the highest ever rated hurdlers to ever go chasing. And even rarer to go chasing in there prime.
                          Not weak I guess, but Arkle 2015 - Un De Sceaux, Arkle 2016 - Douvan, Arkle 2017 - Altior, Arkle 2018 - Brain Power? Been spoilt I guess by having some real potential superstar chasers going this route over the last few years. Arkle 2018 - Finian's Oscar i like the sound of

Comment

• The best novice chase of the season so far is in prospect at Sandown on Saturday with some tall reputations set to be put to the test in the randoxhealth.com Henry VIII Novices' Chase.

Only five entries had been received for the Grade 1, £50,000 prize on Monday and by Tuesday there was one more. However, the likelihood is that Finian's Oscar, a Grade 2 winner at Cheltenham's November meeting, could be set to return to Gloucestershire instead.

Joe Tizzard, son and assistant to trainer Colin Tizzard, said on Tuesday morning: "We felt we had to enter him as it's a Grade 1 and the sort of race he should be in. There are only five against him, but it's a great five so I think it would be more likely we go back to Cheltenham with him over two miles five on Saturday week."

The five to which Tizzard referred are Brain Power, Capitaine, Jameson, North Hill Harvey and Sceau Royal. All except for the progressive Jameson and Brain Power, who won two Listed handicaps including one at this meeting last year, were graded winners over hurdles.

The six runners have all made a brisk start over fences, too, with an aggregate of ten wins and three seconds from 13 runs. Five already have Racing Post Arkle quotes, ranging from 8-1 (Brain Power) to 33s (Capitaine).

The Henry VIII is the first Grade 1 of the season for novice chasers in Britain and its fine history has only been fortified in recent years, with the last two winners being Ar Mad and Altior.

Comment

Competitive rather than stand out would a fair assessment. If FO wins it I certainly wouldn't bang on saying it was a weak renewal in fairness.

Comment

• I think Tizzard's comments there saying they'll take the easier option over 2m5f is exactly right but where he says its the kind of race he should be in 2mG1 highlights the Arkle at Chelt.

Obviously the JLT still would make the most sense with his prep and you could see it that if they were really confident in FO he would take them on now ...?

I also think, if they weren't going to the Arkle, they'd just say they are going JLT. No reason and out of character not to say it how it is.
                                Last edited by Kevloaf; 5 December 2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X