Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Arkle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As impressive as could be that from Brain Power. Next assignment will dictate whether I get involved in him or not, would love to see him left handed somewhere on an undulating track. Taking the risk of missing a decent price on him just because of doubts about liking a flat track and that he's now 5/8 going right handed, 0/4 going left handed. He's quite keen but has a high cruising speed and from the front on a track like Kempton he looks a world beater. Hope for those that have backed is that Sprinter Sacre didn't have the best novice hurdle form, was a little keen in his early days, and was always thought of as a chaser (all apply to Brain Power). Fences settled him down a little bit and you could make a case that it will be the same for Brain Power
    Last edited by Robante; 27 November 2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robante View Post
      As impressive as could be that from Brain Power. Next assignment will dictate whether I get involved in him or not, would love to see him left handed somewhere on an undulating track. Taking the risk of missing a decent price on him just because of doubts about liking a flat track and that he's now 5/8 going right handed, 0/4 going left handed. He's quite keen but has a high cruising speed and from the front on a track like Kempton he looks a world beater. Hope for those that have backed is that Sprinter Sacre didn't have the best novice hurdle form, was a little keen in his early days, and was always thought of as a chaser (all apply to Brain Power). Fences settled him down a little bit and you could make a case that it will be the same for Brain Power
      2nd fav now, bigger days down the line but he could do no more than what he did today. Makes sense why he works with altior and they decided to give him another season over hurdles with already obviously having altior for the race.
      Onwards and upwards
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Couldn't help but be impressed with that from Brain Power, got in a little close at a few but when he met them on a good stride he was awesome. I've added a couple of pts at 12/1 alongside Petite Mouchoir and Footpad. Unless something spectacular comes out of the woodwork thats me done with the Arkle, bar topping up on either of those three.

Thought the Arkle was a dead race this time last month, really starting to heat up now.

Comment

• Chacun Pour Soi is one I'm interested in seeing actually, so unless he impresses on debut thats me about finished.

Comment

• Without a doubt that was a nice performance. But id have to see him going left handed/a trial at Cheltenham before I could consider backing him for the arkle

Comment

• Originally posted by Montjeu View Post
              Couldn't help but be impressed with that from Brain Power, got in a little close at a few but when he met them on a good stride he was awesome. I've added a couple of pts at 12/1 alongside Petite Mouchoir and Footpad. Unless something spectacular comes out of the woodwork thats me done with the Arkle, bar topping up on either of those three.

Thought the Arkle was a dead race this time last month, really starting to heat up now.
              That would be the 3 I'd choose for the win at this stage if there were no odds involved and just a list of horses.
              Honourable mentions for north hill Harvey/ sceau royal.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
                Without a doubt that was a nice performance. But id have to see him going left handed/a trial at Cheltenham before I could consider backing him for the arkle
                You may find he's very short in the betting by that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
                  Without a doubt that was a nice performance. But id have to see him going left handed/a trial at Cheltenham before I could consider backing him for the arkle
                  Yes every chance he could be a flat track bully, I imagine he goes to the Wayward Lad next month back at Kempton so we wont find out any differently any time soon. Probably wins that and shortens again for the Arkle so I'm happy to take the 12s while its there.

Comment

• If he gets too short then i'm happy to be ably represented by Finian's, Footpad and Petit Mouchoir for this race. Fairly big into all three (and you'd reckon at least 2 will take to post for this race) and there comes a point where you're just chipping away at any potential profit by backing horses that you have valid reasons for not fancying. Got to be happy to take a few on the chin - I had a few horses in all 28 races last year (including almost all of the fancied runners), got money back on 20 of them and turned a small profit. I actually think I was unlucky not to have got 23/24 which would have yielded a really decent profit, so that's my aim for this year

Comment

• Last year seemed to be a tough year for most and from what I can gather people whip have a similar approach to you (us) did manage to get out nicely ahead
                      ... I know I'd have been further ahead with a couple of favs not getting beaten too but I think this method of backing multiple mess even when you're wrong you can still get paid out.

This race at the moment looks to be a great example ... albeit expensive to do through the season

Comment

• The left handed record enough to put me off and happy to oppose, already backed a few for the race so cant back them all!!! Good luck if you fancy him.

Comment

• David Mullins fell head over heels for Brain Power a long time ago and after Michael Buckley’s gorgeous six-year-old put in a brazen round of jumping on his chase debut at Kempton on Monday, the Grand National-winning jockey had that loving feeling all over again, hailing him the most exciting novice he has ever partnered over fences.

“He danced like Michael Flatley in front of a fence - he’s deadly,” were among his first words to Buckley and trainer Nicky Henderson on his return from a 28-length thrashing of the 140-rated War Sound.

Clever when he needed to be, Brain Power let rip at more than one fence, including the first open ditch which he stood off a mile and cleared it by almost the same distance.

“It was every bit as good as it looked,” added his rider. “He didn't do anything stupid. He used to get a little bit ignorant at his hurdles but he makes a proper shape over a fence.

"He doesn’t get too high and is just perfect. His mind is made up and you just go with it. In a novice chase, it’s definitely the best feel I’ve had and hopefully he can progress into being an Arkle horse.”

Henderson won the same 2m2f novice chase with subsequent Racing Post Arkle hero Altior last season and all roads lead to the same Cheltenham Festival contest for Brain Power, whose Arkle odds now range between 8-1 and 12-1. *

“He’s very good and a huge talent,” said Henderson. “He’s grown up and we let him bowl along today - he will have learned a lot. The Arkle is the ultimate objective and we’ll more than likely go the Altior route.

"He was a genuine Champion Hurdle horse but David said fences are the making of him. He was listening to his rider today.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                            You may find he's very short in the betting by that time.
                            I could live with missing out then mate. For now for me theres more evidence against backing him than there is for.

Everyone has different approaches, I know some of the forum like backing to lay, having multiple horses etc it all depends on your favoured approach.
                            Theres a balance between seeking value and losing value on your strongest selections by backing too many in a race (I think Kev has raised the pro and cons a few times - think there was a thread about it last season).
                            Also depends on how you approach the festival. I think the festival excites us all anyway but to me some of the thrill is identifying the right horse/s and following them on the day. I don't know if i'd find it as exciting if I had half the field running for me.

Comment

• I suppose Brain Power's OR makes him a 'genuine Champion Hurdle horse' or at least a horse entitled to run in the race but he was about 20 lengths down on Footpad and Petit Mouchoir and I'll happily duck him until he's won left-handed over obstacles.

Comment

• Brain Power isn't for me either due to his poor form left handed and at Cheltenham.

Comment

Working...
                                X