Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Arkle Trophy Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracking race at Chepstow on Saturday with Old Guard, Brother Tedd and a heap of other very good horses set to go....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
      Cracking race at Chepstow on Saturday with Old Guard, Brother Tedd and a heap of other very good horses set to go....

Comment

Nicholls usually gets started at that Chepstow meeting

Comment

Interesting and unexpected!

"NIGEL TWISTON-DAVIES on Tuesday revealed an exciting plan to run Champion Hurdle regular The New One over fences, with the dual Grade 1-winning hurdler reportedly showing zest in his schooling sessions at home.

Fourth to Annie Power in his third consecutive Champion Hurdle in March, The New One had been expected to stick to what he knows best this season but the eight-year-old has convinced connections to try something new and his 26th career start is set to be his first over fences.

"We’re actually going to run him in a novice chase," said Twiston-Davies. "I don’t know where yet but I’m keen on it.

"We didn’t think we were going to go over fences but we thought we’d try him and his schooling has been brilliant. As soon as the ground is right and we find the right race he’s ready to go."

Fifth to Faugheen in the Champion in 2015 and third to Jezki the previous year, The New One does boast a Cheltenham Festival win to his name having landed the 2013 Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle, while his other Grade 1 success came in the Aintree Hurdle the following year.

The eight-year-old was introduced to the Arkle betting at 25-1 with BetVictor and Coral and 20-1 for the JLT with SkyBet and BetVictor."

Comment

Could not be having the New One for any race at Cheltenham, especially not the Arkle. The record of horses that go chasing late on (around 9 years old) is poor and reminds me of the Rock on Ruby campaigning a few years back. He has become a bit of a hard horse to place now as I think even mopping up the early grade 1 2mile races early on in the season may be tough this year.

It's a shame as I think if they had gone down this route 2 years back (after his hampered run in the Champion Hurdle) chasing could have improved him even more. I have a soft spot for the horse. Think he was just lacking in the very top 2 mile races but was a brilliant horse where niggling injuries got the better of him and has effected his jumping since, just doesn't look comfortable in his races anymore

Comment

Yep, I hate older novices.
              I think it's the 4 miler (maybe RSA) where every winner since the year dot had only one season over hurdles.

TNO does seem a difficult horse to place so maybe that's affected their thinking.
              Don't dismiss him for the WH, any jumping issues over birch and he could easily be back over timber...

Comment

Even forgetting about his age not an easy year to switch for TNO.

Idenity Thief out next week. Winter is coming

Last season's Champion Hurdle sixth Identity Thief is to make his chase debut next week, with his trainer Henry De Bromhead hoping to run the Grade 1 winner at either Galway or Punchestown.

Speaking following the win of his Lion In His Heart at Tipperary, De Bromhead stated "he (Identity Thief) seems in good form and we were looking at maybe Punchestown or Galway next week subject to ground; we just want a nice ease in the ground.

"He's in super form and jumping well so we're happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
                  Winter is coming
                  Some proper beasts out at The Abbot on Friday MG....

Comment

I have a bet slip for Rock on Ruby in the Arkle at 14s from 2nd Jan 2014 ... went off much shorter, smashed in to the first fence I think and that was that! Cracking bet haha

Never ever been a fan of TNO and he'd have to be pretty special to change my mind. Doesn't seem to jump a hurdle well when going quickly either so that'd put me off.

I'll be happy comparing his hurdle form to chasers, even though thats not an exact science and probably won't come in handy at all...

Comment

• Old Guard out tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                        Old Guard out tomorrow.
                        Didn't learn very much there did we.

The curse of the 1/5 shot!

Comment

• Time for a wee e/w on Blue Heron for the Arkle prior to his run tomorrow.

Was a solid performer, hopefully will return to his best after his time off.

Jumping fences might just be his forte.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
                            Time for a wee e/w on Blue Heron for the Arkle prior to his run tomorrow.

Was a solid performer, hopefully will return to his best after his time off.

Jumping fences might just be his forte.
                            a 155 horse over hurdles ...puts him right in the mix.

Comment

• Not much talk of MIN lately.. I still think he wasn't right in the supreme last year and surely the Arkle is his target, will most likely be between him and altior come March..

Comment

• Controversial statement time:

I've always viewed Ricci as something of a bully who insists on getting his own way and hates losing, he is on record as saying that the reason he didn't invest his millions in the flat game is that he couldn't dominate, so with this pre-determined (but could easily be incorrect) view I'm not sure he'll pitch Min with Altior again, I think he'd rather wait for a race that Altior doesn't enter and will throw around several BS reasons why the horse swerves the festival/the Arkle.
                                Just my view...

Comment

Working...
                                X