Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Champion Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am finally starting to get a strong view regarding the Champion Hurdle.

I think Yanworth is going to win it.

Firstly, he has won 7 from his 8 hurdles. Cliche coming "he just does enough" / "he keeps winning".
    (Not 8/8) - True - I think his defeat in the Neptune was fair. I know people feel BG got it wrong, he may have been out paced. Either way, Yorkhill might be better than anything that is actually running in this race. The reason I am not dismissing him based on his Cheltenham defeat, is that I consider his 2nd, MUCH stronger than Buveur D'airs 3rd in the Supreme. Whether you believe Yorkhill was just 'idling' or not, Yanworth was sticking to his task well and even though he may not have got to Yorkhill EVER, he was still pulling away from everything else.

(Stays further / should go further / originally aimed at stayers hurdle) - All valid points, but not a HUGE negative in a strongly run champion hurdle. I can't think of any winner of this race that didn't stay 2 and a half miles.

(jumping isn't good enough) - Another fair critisism, but I haven't seen a horse take lengths out of Yanworth, he seems to get away from them well. Faugheen didn't jump well in his CH win either (not that Yanworth is in that league) ... The only really slick hurdler I can see in the field is Petit Mouchoir and I think that horse leads me on to the way I think the race will pan out....

Petit Mouchoir will make the running, a strong, even gallop and Yanworth will be cruising along for the first half of the race. I fully expect Buveur D'air and Brain Power to also be on the bridle too.... I expect, (Similar to The New One a few years back) ... that the pace will quicken and that will be make or break. He will either NOT be able to live with the pace quickening, and plug on for a place when one of those two "flashier, bridle hordes" OR, in a year with no obvious stand out classy horse) he WILL be able to be close enough to find for pressure and if he hits the front, I can't see a horse coming past him.

I think Barry will ride him. I think his unbeaten season over hurdles is much better prep than his main market rival (Buveur). I do like Petit Mouchoir but don't expect him to be able to hold on from the front - he'll just go off too quick and will need to hold off more than 1 challenge. I can understand people taking flyers at horses that are much bigger prices, but of ALL the horses in this field, Yanworth is the only one that I feel has the potential to be top class.

Comment

• I'm with you Kev and it is actually only recently I have come round to having a similar strong view on the race and have started betting accordingly. Even topped up on Saturday again when he drifted. I was surprised at the initial reaction from bookmakers especially bet victor who went 7/1 considering it was a race that was never going to particularly suit Yanworth.

I see Paddy Power are betting 4:6 Barry picks Yanworth as his ride.

Comment

• I don't think Barry G will pick Yanworth. His old ties to the Henderson stable are strong and when it comes to a choice between a Henderson or a King horse at the festival we know which trainer has the track record.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
          I don't think Barry G will pick Yanworth. His old ties to the Henderson stable are strong and when it comes to a choice between a Henderson or a King horse at the festival we know which trainer has the track record.
          I thought about the Hendo / BG link too...but then thought about the Fehily / Buveur D'air link ... might not be Barry's "choice" this year? Either way, whoever gets on Yanworth wouldn't massively affect the race. He is ridden a certain way and I think it is fairly straight forward.

Comment

• Kev, I don't think you are far off there, the tactics this year are going to be key and if Yanworth can keep tabs on them coming round the bend I think he is the most likely winner. That is a big IF though.

I was a perennial The New One backer and I keep thinking about his lack of a gear over 2 miles and can't help but think Yanworth may well be a mirror image of him

Comment

• Yeah I absolutely see the similarity finch. I think Yanworth backers will know their fate before turning in to the straight!

Comment

• Paddy power actually now have the betting for Geraghty 4/6 BD 11/10 Yanworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Ballybeen View Post
                  Paddy power actually now have the betting for Geraghty 4/6 BD 11/10 Yanworth
                  The let's hope Richard Johnson gets the ride and doesn't have him out in the trees like BG did last year

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                    Is Yeehaa Matt Chapman?
                    No ...should I be insulted

Comment

The let's hope Richard Johnson gets the ride and doesn't have him out in the trees like BG did last year
                      I'm hoping Johnson gets the leg up on MTOY personally. McCoy is the only jockey to win on board MTOY, and if any jockey can get as close to McCoy's riding style, for me it is Johnson.

Comment

• CoD - Johnson would be a positive on whoever he sits on.

Wouldn't be a positive if BG does decide to ride Yanworth but it is very clearly a tough choice and these colours and connections and specific jockey have benefited from that previously.

Yeehaa - Not at all I think I was watching On The Line and you posted something that he mentioned not long after...and his twitter has Yeehaa in it... I was putting some numbers together and getting 5

Comment

• I agree. I reckon (hoping) the front 2 in the betting will be split between Geraghty & Fehily to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                            I agree. I reckon (hoping) the front 2 in the betting will be split between Geraghty & Fehily to be honest.
                            Fehily will get MTOY if Barry picks B D'Air. Mark Walsh has to get one of the three ? Id say he would get Yanworth ahead of Fehily but MTOY if BJG picks Yanworth.

Comment

• ^ Be really happy with Mark Walsh on board. Under-rated.

Aidan Coleman might end up with a ride too? He has picked up a few JP rides (and rode Buveur D'air this season)?

Comment

^ Be really happy with Mark Walsh on board. Under-rated.

Aidan Coleman might end up with a ride too? He has picked up a few JP rides (and rode Buveur D'air this season)?
                                Maybe they will have to run another one. Probably not entirely fair to Coleman that he is on the gault stats festival cold list.

Comment

Working...
                                X