• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2018

I see someone's requested samcro to win the gold cup by 2023 in the oddschecker gold cup market at 8/1. :highly_amused: atleast you've got a recurring bet at each year he dosent win for 8/1.
 
Yorkhill also holds entries in the Ryanair Hurdle over two miles and the three-mile*Squared Financial Christmas Hurdle, but Mullins appears keen to test him over three miles over fences in a race formerly known as the Lexus Chase, setting up a potentially mouthwatering clash with Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Sizing John.

Explaining his decision not to run in the John Durkan Memorial Chase at Punchestown on Sunday, Mullins told the Irish Times: "He probably would have run except it was right-handed. Opportunities left-handed are a little harder to get for a horse like him. But Leopardstown at Christmas looks a good possibility. His pedigree is all staying and I imagine he'll go for the longer trip alright. I imagine that (Leopardstown Christmas Chase) will be it. He fine and I'm happy with him."
 
Yorkhill also holds entries in the Ryanair Hurdle over two miles and the three-mile*Squared Financial Christmas Hurdle, but Mullins appears keen to test him over three miles over fences in a race formerly known as the Lexus Chase, setting up a potentially mouthwatering clash with Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Sizing John.

Explaining his decision not to run in the John Durkan Memorial Chase at Punchestown on Sunday, Mullins told the Irish Times: "He probably would have run except it was right-handed. Opportunities left-handed are a little harder to get for a horse like him. But Leopardstown at Christmas looks a good possibility. His pedigree is all staying and I imagine he'll go for the longer trip alright. I imagine that (Leopardstown Christmas Chase) will be it. He fine and I'm happy with him."
Kev
What's your thoughts about an ew or win only bet for the CH should he get stuffed / have a poor round in the Lexus, straight after the races at 20s. Will he get another chance ?
Sizing john an unlikely runner. But would find out much more if he and the likes of disko/ Coney island/ djakadam were in yorkhills opposition.
 
I'd be all over it for the likes of me and you who don't mind a non runner. I've actually already backed yorkhill at 25/1 ew and 20/1 win from over the summer because I didn't think Faugheen would race again.

I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if he did revert to hurdles now for my own book ... what are your thoughts?
 
I'd be all over it for the likes of me and you who don't mind a non runner. I've actually already backed yorkhill at 25/1 ew and 20/1 win from over the summer because I didn't think Faugheen would race again.

I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if he did revert to hurdles now for my own book ... what are your thoughts?

My thoughts are I'd be hovering over the 20s. And will probably push the button knowing it's unlikely runner. But that could change very quickly. Id want to be on ew to enhance my book. Whether that's wise or not it would take a little time to find out.
 
I'd go each way because even 2/1 would be close to his SP if he did run. I'd be a little reluctant as Faugheen coming back so well but it's all about him getting there.

Probably just jump brilliantly and you wont need to act
 
Had a little bit of the 40/1 each way on Blaklion, was surprised that was still available to be honest after his Becher demolition. Of course he could go for the National, but he would be top weight there and I really do think he is outsider Gold Cup class. Clearly handles Cheltenham well, a Grade 1 winner at the festival already, and can definitely see out the trip, whats not to like? Feel like he might be the Native River of this year, but I think he has more class than the Tizzard horse.
 
Thistlecrack v might bite v fox norton in the king george would be an absolute cracker. No idea who would win between them 3. Hoping thistlecrack comes on from his hurdle run. I think all 3 are staying chasers of the highest order.
 
Thistlecrack v might bite v fox norton in the king george would be an absolute cracker. No idea who would win between them 3. Hoping thistlecrack comes on from his hurdle run. I think all 3 are staying chasers of the highest order.

We've agreed too much recently...so... :p

At the moment Fox Norton has done nothing to prove he gets a strong run 3m. Bit of a leap of faith because the owner had a horse improve massively for a step up in trip? Furthest he has EVER gone is 19f! which he looked to see out well but that isn't proof by any stretch. For me he MIGHT stay and because I know/knew/thought he'll be trying I took 50/1 for the Gold Cup but it is very speculative.... but I'd find it very easy to pass him over without betting on him in this race... certainly don't think you can say he is a staying chaser of the highest order?

Thistlecrack's win last year wouldn't be good enough to win this years edition, and I don't think he will ever reproduce a performance like he did again... Would LOVE to be wrong, LOVE the horse... but head is in control here and he's a terrible price, even if he wins.

Might Bite's race to lose for me, boring as it sounds. Wouldn't be as bullish as I'd have previously been to be about BDM not being good enough .... but I can see why he is shorter in the betting than Thistle and Foxy.

If Whisper was a definite runner I'd consider him at 20's each way... or for when Might Bite falls at the last.




Might Bite needs to improve on his performance first time out though, needs to reproduce the performance of 12 months ago, rather than the one at Aintree or first time out.
 
Not long until we find out kev. Wad really impressed with the manner in which fox norton won at Aintree and over the shorter distance at punchestown. Seen nothing wrong what so ever with his run in the tingle creek. 2m4 is a staying distance in my eyes, but hes deffinately worth a shot at the king george could certainly suprise a few.
 
I expect to see a high class Might Bite win King George easily , jumping them silly from 2 mile out. Bristol second and Fox Norton third.

Feel MB just has to many gears for this lot , believe only horses capable of giving him something to think about all reside in Ireland.
 
Think you will see the real Thistlecrack on boxing day so grab that 12/1whats out there quick
 
Think you will see the real Thistlecrack on boxing day so grab that 12/1whats out there quick

On what basis Somer?

I much prefer Fox Norton of the Tizzard brigade
 
Thistlecracks last race was to bad to be true.Traveled well,jumped well but blow up.My west country cousins will have him super fit now they know he wasnt.
 
Thistlecracks last race was to bad to be true.Traveled well,jumped well but blow up.My west country cousins will have him super fit now they know he wasnt.

Does it not concern you that they we're quite bullish about how fit they said he was before it? They said he'd 'come on for the run' but they said he'd do himself justice?
 
Yes its does a tad.But the Tizzards got it wrong.The horse has run one bad race. I think i can remember a trainer saying you never know how fit they are till you get them on a racecourse.
 
Tizzard has history here, several times he's believed his horse(s) were spot on for reappearances but ran very flat, certainly happened with Cue Card before the Haldon a few years ago though since Joe has taken a leading role there things have become more professional and errors/misjudgements are seen less these days.
Thistlecrack was clearly short last time, he will improve bundles at Kempton but whether he improves enough to beat a horse in Might Bite who is likely to have everything where he wants, including the exit to the stables being after the win line, is another matter....