• HELP US - Become a Patron - Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated ... a small donation each month would be a huge contribution. Become a Patron!

2024 Champion Chase

I just hope that the 2 principals remain unbeaten before clashing in the queen mum
and I’d love it if Nicky obliged with round 2 at punchestown
 
I almost feel sorry for Jonbon, because of all the idiots in the media hyping him with being Douvans brother. He was set up to fail straight away imo.

I was and still am a big fan of the horse, I think he’s class, maybe not top top class, but he’s still class. Aside from a slightly sketchy performance against Calico in his novice chase he’s been pretty much faultless. Didn’t seem to travel as well as normal, as people have suggested in the Arkle, maybe the ground as Hendo and Coleman seem to suggest good to soft/good ground he’ll be at his best. Maybe the soft ground of the Arkle wasn’t to his liking. No question El Fab was much better on the day. Do I think he’ll turn the tables, probably not, but he is well worth his shot.

People may knock what he did at Sandown because the UK 2m horses are crap but he beat them as easy as he liked, these were seasoned 2m chasers. I don’t think using a long season as an excuse for those he beat stands up as Jonbon was having his 6th start and he had only run 2 weeks earlier.

I would love to see some stats on this but I suspect, in general, Mullins does better when the ground is soft and Henderson does better when the ground is good. I remember a few seasons back when Willie didn’t have a winner in the first two days on good ground and then the heavens opened at the rest as they say is history. Obviously there are horses which go against this generalisation but I suspect the data would support this position.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Carnage at Taunton
Very fair Jono, be interesting to see how it pans out. For the sake of the QMCC Jonbon lining up would make it a much better race. I have no doubt Jonbon will win weak renewals of the Tingle Creek and Clarence House - just thinking out loud, if that happens it will take Willie Mullins levels of confidence for Nicky to up him in trip and I'm not sure Nicky has the stones to deviate from 2m, even if all the evidence says go up.

To be fair, what is El Fab going to come up against now Energumene is out? Although he wouldn’t have faced him prior to Cheltenham anyway. The 2m division is pretty piss poor both sides of the Irish Sea.

We need these 2 to turn up unbeaten to at least have a half decent race.
 
With Energumene gone I'm thinking Edwardstone might be given a second chance in the CC rather than stepping up. If he can replicate his performance in the Tingle Creek then I think Jonbon could be in trouble.
 
With Energumene gone I'm thinking Edwardstone might be given a second chance in the CC rather than stepping up. If he can replicate his performance in the Tingle Creek then I think Jonbon could be in trouble.

I can’t see why Edward shouldn’t have a go at winning another TC, and I agree that if he turned up in the same form as he did last year he would give Jonbon a serious race.
God knows what his QM performance was all about, but he proved during the season he is far far better than that, including beating Energumene.
 
I can’t see why Edward shouldn’t have a go at winning another TC, and I agree that if he turned up in the same form as he did last year he would give Jonbon a serious race.
God knows what his QM performance was all about, but he proved during the season he is far far better than that, including beating Energumene.

Obvious that wasn't his running in the CC. Was it just the bottomless ground or did anything else come to light ?? He was never in it and finished completely distressed. Agree, he looked sensational in the TC.
 
Don't think anything can beat El Fabulous though.....apart from himself.
 
Don't think anything can beat El Fabulous though.....apart from himself.

Well that it seems would be the popular opinion and may well be proved correct.
Im still open minded and waiting to see how last season’s novices shape up this season.
 
Don't think anything can beat El Fabulous though.....apart from himself.
Agree with that, he’s a bit worrying with the occasional jump, but he’s one of those horses that always seems to find a way of getting over. Hopefully he will improve in the department.
 
Don't think anything can beat El Fabulous though.....apart from himself.

Yep. Just watched the Arkle back which I'll never tire of. Aiden Coleman was asking Jonbon after the third last whilst Paul doesn't get serious on EF until after the last and he wins going away easily. He's a mustard horse he really is.
 
To be fair, what is El Fab going to come up against now Energumene is out? Although he wouldn’t have faced him prior to Cheltenham anyway. The 2m division is pretty piss poor both sides of the Irish Sea.

We need these 2 to turn up unbeaten to at least have a half decent race.

Gentleman De Mee on a going day(anyone's guess as to when they are thou with Danny on again possibly) could certainly ask him a couple of questions, outside of that it's thin admittedly.
 
Obvious that wasn't his running in the CC. Was it just the bottomless ground or did anything else come to light ?? He was never in it and finished completely distressed. Agree, he looked sensational in the TC.

His jumping seemed to get a bit sticky as the season went on

Bit slow getting from A to B and struggling to keep up because of it
 
Bet365 have jonbon boosted to 8-1 for CC, not one I’m interested in myself but I know a few on here are
 
Bet365 have jonbon boosted to 8-1 for CC, not one I’m interested in myself but I know a few on here are

Might take this myself, like others I have El Fab as a big winner of CC and haven’t backed anything else bar Dysart at 50s so perhaps 8/1 hedge on the main opposition is worth taking.

Hypothetically El Fab takes a knock over the winter and is absent, would do some damage to books and hands the race to Jonbon.

Will mull it over I think
 
Disappointing effort that from Dysart Dynamo representing last year's novice form...
 
Disappointing effort that from Dysart Dynamo representing last year's novice form...

Not his best performance but he did get very worked up in parade ring before going down to the start so his race was probably over before it began
 
Not his best performance but he did get very worked up in parade ring before going down to the start so his race was probably over before it began


​​​​​​Cheers for that. Watched on the phone and only joined around the third fence so missed all of that!

I won't get too concerned about El Fab being in about 50 multiples yet then. :beguiled:
 
He’s not been the same horse over fences / since his heart issue in my opinion.
 
I was impressed with Captain Guinness today and pleased to have been there to witness an exemplary round of jumping. No concern for El Fab but I like to have alternatives also in multiples just in case as well as the hot shots.

The Captain fits the bill.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: opatcho and Eggs
Dysart Dynamo has & will always need a flat non stamina sapping track to be seen to his best. Kempton would be his bag in the UK, I’d like to see him in the Desert Orchid.
 
  • Like
Reactions: opatcho