I'm also making a conscious effort to place more singles this year, and making use of the 'win any race' markets where possible.
Kev - out of interest, what percentage of your singles are each way bets at the moment? I rarely do them this far in advance of the festival (due to losing double the amount if they don't run) but feel like I may be missing a trick. Do you only place them when you are almost certain of their target?
Just over half...(22/42) but that does not factor in that there are few horses, that when I've had a bet each way (1 pt e/w) I've also then topped up 1 pt on the win only.... which would bring it to a bit under half.
Yes - I do only try to place each way when I am confident of the target. If I was being critical I could probably only pick out 3/4 horses that I have backed so far each way that I think the target might be wrong. (One is Yorkhill at 20s which was a calculated risk, as I thought if I guess the taget right, my place part will be bigger than the SP), the others being Getabird, Supreme and Yanworth and Willoughby Court in the JLT, and to be honest I'm pretty happy with the latter two anyway.
It is price related though - anything less than 8/1 and I struggle to place it.
I wouldn't say you're "missing a trick", but having some horses at place odds that are bigger than SP last year made the festival a lot easier than I would have found it without going each way!!! and just having a look back through at some of my prices last year - (Buveur D'air 16/1 - 5/1), (Petit Mouchoir 33/1 - 6/1), (UNWIMH 25/1-evns) , (Sizing John 33/1-7/1), (Limini 10/1-13/8), (Might Bite 12/1- 7/2), (Special Tiara 25/1 - 11/1), (Top Notch 20/1 - 7/2), (Disko 33/1 - 4/1) I'll definitely be doing the same again.