Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2018 Grand National

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    What price will you stop backing Tiger Roll at Ista? He has to go off favourite, doesn't he?
    I'm in for decent money at 40/1, pressed at 20/1 and again 16/1, I'm not intending having too much more but I can't see a horse in the field with better crudentials and he'll probably go off somewhere between 7/1 and 10/1.
    I'll keep pressing at 16/1 but will think twice at shorter....

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
      Anyone fancy a Tiger Woods (masters) / Tiger Roll (national) double?? I couldn't resist
      That's a LoveRacing kind of bet !

I think it's Mayo that puts up the Spring double (Master/National) thread...

Comment

I can't remember the last National winner to win at the Festival.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
          I can't remember the last National winner to win at the Festival.
          I can't think of one either Archie, I don't think it's happened since I followed racing, but it wouldn't be a stat that'd put me off.

Placed horses have gone on to win at Aintree so I can't see why it'd be any different for Festival winners.

Comment

The way the race is run I think the Cross Country is the ideal prep, certainly not put off by the fact Tiger Roll won at Chelt...

Comment

The current betting for next Month's Randox Health Grand National at Aintree is dominated by horses that performed well at last week's Cheltenham Festival.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                The way the race is run I think the Cross Country is the ideal prep, certainly not put off by the fact Tiger Roll won at Chelt...
                I thought the same about COC last year, and he managed to find one too good come the GN. That said, at them prices I'd be more than happy with a place if nothing else

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                  I thought the same about COC last year, and he managed to find one too good come the GN. That said, at them prices I'd be more than happy with a place if nothing else
                  It's a very difficult race to predict now CorD, since the fence modifications they are going quicker than ever placing an even greater emphasis on stamina and as there's nothing in the calendar at this distance we're almost guessing at whether a horse is suited to such a test.
                  The trends are changing, the only solid consistency is that recent run, so whether it's a competitive race at Cheltenham or hacking round in a class 4 2m hurdle race at Catterick is irrelevant, a recent run is necessary.
                  The cross country is run at below racing speed for over 3m, twists, turns, banks etc prevent the horses from reaching proper racing speed until they come out onto the course proper, so it might appear the 3m 6f race is an extreme test of stamina but that's not a view I share, Cause of Causes beat everything bar the winner so tackling the cross country is hardly a negative in my eyes....

Comment

It's a very difficult race to predict now CorD, since the fence modifications they are going quicker than ever placing an even greater emphasis on stamina and as there's nothing in the calendar at this distance we're almost guessing at whether a horse is suited to such a test.
                    The trends are changing, the only solid consistency is that recent run, so whether it's a competitive race at Cheltenham or hacking round in a class 4 2m hurdle race at Catterick is irrelevant, a recent run is necessary.
                    The cross country is run at below racing speed for over 3m, twists, turns, banks etc prevent the horses from reaching proper racing speed until they come out onto the course proper, so it might appear the 3m 6f race is an extreme test of stamina but that's not a view I share, Cause of Causes beat everything bar the winner so tackling the cross country is hardly a negative in my eyes....
                    Definitely not a negative in my eyes either Ista. COC ran a cracker both at Cheltenham and in the GN last season, finding one too good amongst 40 horses should not be underestimated.

My worry with any festival runner coming in to the Grand National is whether the race in question has taken too much out of them by the time the Grand National comes around, having said that I think there is a bigger gap in days from the festival this year to the Grand National, whether that makes one bit of difference is anyone's guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                      My worry with any festival runner coming in to the Grand National is whether the race in question has taken too much out of them by the time the Grand National comes around
                      Which is a sensible concern, but the 'recent run' trend is the strongest of them all, I might do some work on what the previous winners recent runs were and if they were poodling around in 2nd gear finishing half a track behind bad horses then that might alter my approach...

Comment

2017 Onefor Arthur was the trend buster as he hadn't been seen since winning the big Warwick chase in Jan on soft
                        2016 Rule the World was beaten 20l in a G3 2m 4f novice chase on heavy
                        2015 Many Clouds was beaten 24l in Coneygrees Gold Cup on soft
                        2014 Pineau de Re was beaten a neck in Fingal Bays Pertemps win on good
                        2013 Auroras Encore was beaten 50+l in a listed Kelso chase on soft
                        2012 Neptune Collonges was beaten a neck in the Haydock trial on heavy
                        2011 Ballabriggs was beaten 1.5l in a 2m 6f Kelso chase
                        2010 Don't Push It was pulled up before last in the Pertemps final on good
                        2009 Mon Mome was beaten 48l in the Midlands National on good to soft
                        2008 Comply or Die won the Eider on good to soft

Plenty of decent efforts in there to suggest a hard race is no barrier to winning a National....

Comment

3 to have onside imo

Tiger Roll 25/1
                          I Just Know 50/1 (very keen on this one)
                          Buywise 50/1 (don't laugh)

Comment

I’ll need to check Doc but class is important and winner of a valuable race is important, I think £20k but not sure, and I Just Know hasn’t hit that despite having a nice profile...

Comment

Regal Encore has a lot going for him. Always a barge-pole job in the past, he seems to be finishing off his races this season and (under a cautious ride) last season was running on at the end. If his first experience of the fences hasn't put him off, I think he'll go well off 150.

Comment

I’ll need to check Doc but class is important and winner of a valuable race is important, I think £20k but not sure, and I Just Know hasn’t hit that despite having a nice profile...
                                Please do Ista. One negative is course form.

Comment

Working...
                                X