Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2016 Grand National

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
    Yep, couldn't agree more.
    The cyclist has caused row after row in my house, the wife says how well she did etc etc etc and I agree, but I resent the camera's pointing her way when Nina and On The Fringe had just created history with a memorable double in the race.
    The media should be ashamed, the achievements of Nina are exceptional and should celebrated not some cyclist who gave her horse a poor ride focusing on completion rather than position until late in the race
    Haha, totally agree Ista. I am getting sick of seeing her name.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
      Yep, couldn't agree more.
      The cyclist has caused row after row in my house, the wife says how well she did etc etc etc and I agree, but I resent the camera's pointing her way when Nina and On The Fringe had just created history with a memorable double in the race.
      The media should be ashamed, the achievements of Nina are exceptional and should celebrated not some cyclist who gave her horse a poor ride focusing on completion rather than position until late in the race
      I couldn't disagree more Ista. VP gave PDP a gem of a ride. He's a horse I've followed for a while and he doesn't stay 3m+. He ran in the 3m handicap on the Tuesday 3 or 4 years ago and the jockey tried to be positive and take it up 3 out and he curled up and finished down the field. VP didnt rides him out very well at the finish and if we are being picky she might have finished a place closer but if Nina rode him she would have finished further down the field IMO, purely because she would have rode him too aggressively.

VP shouldn't have taken the limelight off the winner but she isn't too blame for that. An outstanding achievement by both VP and NC and both a credit to racing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        VP shouldn't have taken the limelight off the winner but she isn't too blame for that. An outstanding achievement by both VP and NC and both a credit to racing IMO.
        Totally agree there FM, her profile has been a fantastic shot in the arm for racing but I feel it has been at the expense of the pros/regular amateurs, not her fault at all, completely get that and applaud her achievements.

I wasn't impressed with the ride but I guess we see different things, plenty of horses don't get 4 miles at 5 or 6 but get that and more 3 or 4 years down the line so I don't see him as a non stayer, he's been competing with the best hunters for a couple of years and never been that far away so the fact he may not have won over the distance I don't see as relevant.
        But opinion is what make life interesting....
        Last edited by Istabraq; 25 March 2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

They are due to re-oppose at Aintree in the Foxhunters (horses, not jockeys) so it'll be interesting how it plays out.

Comment

They are due to re-oppose at Aintree in the Foxhunters (horses, not jockeys) so it'll be interesting how it plays out.
            Would VP not get a ride in the Foxhunters at Aintree ?

Comment

I dont think she's qualified to ride over the national fences. A jockey needs to have won a certain number of races to ride in the race (15 I think). I'd imagine Will Biddick will ride PDP, Jamie Codd booked to ride OTF.

Comment

I dont think she's qualified to ride over the national fences. A jockey needs to have won a certain number of races to ride in the race (15 I think).
                Yep, good shout

Comment

I dont think she's qualified to ride over the national fences. A jockey needs to have won a certain number of races to ride in the race (15 I think). I'd imagine Will Biddick will ride PDP, Jamie Codd booked to ride OTF.
                  thats their story for 2016 if they want to keep it going.

Comment

I've added Vics Canvas 66/1 nrnb to my ap selection. I know he's the wrong age but he has course experience and always puts in a decent run on better ground over the big obstacles.

Saint Are 25/1 nrnb
                    Highland Lodge 50/1 nrnb
                    Vics Canvas 66/1 nrnb

Comment

Given the year she has had

"
                      It is all systems go towards Aintree with Bishops Road," said Lee. "I have been very happy with him since Haydock. He has schooled over Grand National-style fences and everything is going to plan.

"I am not at all worried about ground conditions. Aintree always produces beautiful ground and I am very happy to be going there. We just need nine horses to come out [above him in the handicap]."

Moore in line for return

Jamie Moore has been another key figure in Lee's excellent campaign but missed out on her Fairyhouse raid, where she landed a Grade 1 and Grade 2, after breaking his collarbone in a fall at Taunton earlier this month.

If he can return to fitness in time for the Aintree showpiece, Moore will partner Bishops Road and Lee is optimistic the rider will make it.

"Jamie Moore is working his socks off to get back in time for Aintree and I am quite confident that he will be," she said.
                      and cut off musings from the Doctor

DR RICHARD NEWLAND put his Crabbie's Grand National hopefuls Pineau De Re and Royale Knight through their paces in Lambourn on Thursday morning and is keeping everything crossed that the duo make the final cut for next week's contest.

Pineau De Re, who won the Grand National two years ago, was partnered by Brian Hughes and popped over two replica National fences twice, as did Royale Knight, who was ridden by Brendan Powell.

Newland said: "We've done all our preparations now and the horses are very fit. This is just getting the jockeys acquainted to the horses."

Will they or won't they?

Neither of Newland's two candidates are guaranteed to get a run in the National and the trainer is sweating on whether they will make the final field with Pineau De Re and Royale Knight sitting just outside the top 40 entries for the race.

"We know one or two are coming out so we just have to hope that enough come out to get a run," Newland said. "It would be incredible not to get a run off [a handicap rating of] 143. Last year Royale Knight was last in off 139."

Pineau De Re is 1lb higher in the weights than Royale Knight, so more likely to make the cut, and Newland offered a positive update regarding the horse's wellbeing.

"He's very good. He won before Christmas, which was great, but we gave him a bit of an easy time after that - probably too much of an easy time - and I was disappointed with him at Chepstow," Newland said.

"He ran well at Newbury the following week, though, and since then I've given him a lot of work and he has taken it well," the trainer added.
                      Last edited by Guest; 1 April 2016, 06:29 AM.

Comment

One out and acouple more jocked up

Winner of the Kim Muir at the Festival two years ago, Culloty told the Daily Mail that Spring Heeled was "99% certain not to run" on Merseyside.

"He came back from Cheltenham pretty sore," added the County Cork handler.

Jeremiah McGrath will have his first National ride when he gets the leg-up on former Hennessy winner Triolo D'Alene, who also struck over the Aintree fences in the Topham Chase in 2013.

Nico de Boinville will partner the Nicky Henderson-trained stablemate Hadrian's Approach.

Henderson, who has never won the National, told the Telegraph: "Both horses schooled over the Aintree fences in Lambourn and it all seemed to go well.

"They will both go for the National and Cocktails At Dawn is going for the Topham.

"Hopefully we'll get decent ground."

Comment

Jock em up

NO. HORSE TRAINER JOCKEY OR
                          Many Clouds27
                          Oliver Sherwood L Aspell 165
                          2 Silviniaco Conti49 Paul Nicholls N Fehily 163
                          3 Carlingford Lough22 John E Kiely M Walsh ? 162
                          4 First Lieutenant63 M F Morris 159
                          5 Wonderful Charm120 Paul Nicholls Sam Twiston Davies 158
                          6 Third Intention24 Colin Tizzard 157
                          7 Ballynagour23 David Pipe 157
                          8 OŽFaolains Boy22 Rebecca Curtis 156
                          9 Gilgamboa23 E Bolger 156
                          10 On His Own22 W P Mullins Patrick Mullins 156
                          11 The Druids Nephew35 Neil Mulholland Denis O'Regan ? 155
                          Triolo DŽAlene49
                          Nicky Henderson J McGrath 155
                          13 Rocky Creek42 Paul Nicholls Andrew Thornton 154
                          14 Sir Des Champs63 W P Mullins 154
                          15 Roi Du Mee161 Gordon Elliott 154
                          16 Holywell25 Jonjo OŽNeill R McLernon 153
                          17 Shutthefrontdoor35 Jonjo OŽNeill B J Geraghty ? 152
                          18 Soll51 David Pipe 152
                          19 Buywise70 Evan Williams P Maloney ? 151
                          20 Boston Bob49 W P Mullins Ruby Walsh ? 151
                          21 Turban49 W P Mullins 151
                          22 Aachen35 Venetia Williams A Coleman ? 151
                          23 Morning Assembly25 P A Fahy D N Russell ? 150
                          24 Double Ross25 Nigel Twiston-Davies 150
                          Goonyella34
                          J T R Dreaper J Burke 149
                          26 Ucello Conti79 Gordon Elliott 149
                          27 Unioniste27 Paul Nicholls N Scolfield 149
                          28 Le Reve42 Lucy Wadham 149
                          29 Gallant Oscar34 A J Martin 149
                          30 Onenightinvienna49 Philip Hobbs R Johnson ? 149
                          31 The Last Samuri35 Kim Bailey D Bass 149
                          32 Kruzhlinin25 Philip Hobbs T O'Brien 148
                          33 Rule The World34 M F Morris 148
                          34 Just A Par18 Paul Nicholls Sean Bowen 147
                          35 Katenko25 Venetia Williams L Treadwell 147
                          36 Vics Canvas49 Dermot Anthony McLoughlin 147
                          37 Living Next Door12 A J Martin 147
                          38 Black Thunder63 Paul Nicholls 147
                          39 Ballycasey23 W P Mullins 147
                          40 HadrianŽs Approach42 Nicky Henderson N De Bonville 147
                          CUT OFF
                          42 Katkeau21 David Pipe 146
                          43 Vieux Lion Rouge25 David Pipe 146
                          Pendra112
                          Charlie Longsdon 146
                          45 Saint Are45 Tom George 146
                          46 Home Farm41 Henry De Bromhead 145
                          47 The Romford Pele24 Rebecca Curtis 145
                          48 Knock House23 Mick Channon 144
                          49 Bishops Road49 Kerry Lee 144
                          Pineau De Re35
                          Dr Richard Newland B Hughes 143
                          51 Alvarado35 Fergal OŽBrien 143
                          Highland Lodge126
                          James Moffatt 143
                          53 Maggio27 Patrick Griffin 143
                          54 Perfect Candidate23 Fergal OŽBrien 143
                          55 Present View11 Jamie Snowden 143
                          Last edited by mayo; 1 April 2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

There's a few to take off that list of runners. From the Guardian on Wednesday:

Connections of Third Intention, Katkeau and Living Next Door have now said their horses will take no part in the National.

Comment

If Maloney gets Buywise round he's a miracle worker!

Comment

What are the chances of BJG riding Gallant Oscar? He's my number 1 pick for the race.

Comment

Working...
                                X