Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ruby Walsh Tips Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“He was travelling well,” Walsh recalled of Silviniaco Conti’s run last year. “Looking at the video you’d say he was going to win, I wasn’t so sure on his back. I was happy but I wasn’t exuding confidence. I still think Bobs Worth is the one they all have to beat. At Leopardstown at Christmas was the first time I thought Bobs Worth was a really good horse. I loved the way he quickened up from the last and I think he’s the one they’ll have to beat in the Gold Cup.”

And for those looking for a Dark Horse, Walsh nominated Blood Cotil (available at 16/1) in the Coral Cup on day two of the Festival.

Comment

Well, I’m off to Paris this morning ready for action and very much looking forward to partnering Un de Sceaux at Auteuil in the afternoon.

I’m absolutely raring to go and obviously hoping to make the ideal return and guide Willie Mullins’ horse to another success on his native soil.

Un de Sceaux, of course, won at Auteuil late last month and this is basically the same race again, over the same trip, two miles, three and a half furlongs.

I rode out for my dad last Monday morning, before heading to Fairyhouse later on for the Irish Grand National. Then on Tuesday, I was at Willie’s and rode four lots, including On His Own and Boston Bob.

I was back at Willie’s on Thursday and, this time, didn’t half put myself to the sword. I rode four horses, that can be best described as free, and came through with flying colours.

I was on Blood Cotil and Twinlight, who can be free in their races, and also had a sit on Champagne Fever and Djakadam. You wouldn’t regard Champagne Fever and Djakadam as free on the track, but they are at home, when going more slowly than they would in a race.

Anyway, Un de Sceaux and whether we can get it just right today. My plan will be to contain the horse somewhat, especially down the back.

I am not going to attempt to ask him to travel much slower than he normally would, no we are talking fractions here.

The idea will be to try and get it right at all stages, so that Un de Sceaux will have sufficient left to withstand the likely late challenge of Gemix. And that is my challenge, to get the fractions through the race exactly spot-on. You could probably say it is maths on horseback!

It is a very quiet weekend here at home for Willie, the proverbial calm before the storm.

He has just one runner, Vedettariat, in the bumper at Limerick tomorrow. His last outing was on this track when he could hardly have been more disappointing in finishing only seventh.

He really is a puzzling horse. I’ve seen him work at home of late and have no doubt he has the ability to win a contest such as this.

If everything goes according to plan today, then it will be all guns blazing for next week at Punchestown.

I have some hugely high-profile rides, headed by the dual champion hurdler, Hurricane Fly.

Paul Townend, as usual, has been riding him in all of his work and the horse is certainly bright and perky.

But he does have plenty to find with the current champion, Jezki, so the question is can Hurricane beat him over a track he loves?

I’m particularly looking forward to Vatour, who was brilliant at Cheltenham and a cracking horse.

Cheltenham was made for him, and probably suited better than Punchestown will, but he’s four four from four and it will take a good one to beat him.

Another Cheltenham hero, Faugheen, is in mighty oprder. John Codd, who rides him out and loooks after the horse, is more than happy.

I’d imagine Quevega will head for the Stayers’ Hurdle, again, but this is shaping like a tidy contest, so it will be interesting.

Champagne Fever seems to be in great order and I’d say will turn up over two miles in the Ryanair Chase on Thursday.

And then there is the choice I am going to have to make that is keeping me awake at night, On His Own or Boston Bob in the Gold Cup on Wednesday.

As I told you I had a spin on both of them on Tuesday and they went equally well, leaving me none the wiser as to the way to go.

I intend to walk the track at Punchestown tomorrow, see what the ground is like, then take the weather into account and arrive at a conclusion. In any case more about all of those horses, and many more, throughout next week here.

Next Saturday at Punchestown will see the 25th running of a charity race in aid of Irish kidney research. It will mark the 10th anniversary of Diageo (Ireland’s) involvement.

One of the people who will ride in the race is a man called Eoghan O’Neill. He suffered a stroke, had kidney failure and was then on dialysis.

That was followed by a kidney transplant, but last year he failed to pass the test at RACE and wasn’t granted a licence.

But, undaunted, he has been riding out for a long time now and this time did pass the test and has been granted a licence. I think there is great credit due to Dr Adrian McGoldrick, the Turf Club medical officer, and to the Turf Club.

But O’Neill has to be regarded as a hero. There are those who think National Hunt jockeys are iron men, but this guy puts us all in the shade.

And a word to all the Munster fans going through Paris today. Get the price of your trip on the PMU in the coffee bars with Un de Sceaux and just leave a few quid at the airport for Ruby!

Comment

Ruby rides Boston Bob ahead of On His Own in the Gold Cup on Wednesday....

Comment

No nap this week

things off for me in Navan today. He ran well for a long way in the Flogas (which we still call the Moriarty) before unseating AP McCoy at the last. He was quite keen that day and maybe 2m 5f tested him. I didn’t think he’d have any trouble with stamina as he won over two and a half at Punchestown.

He does like to get on with the job but he’s 140 rated and if that is to be believed he should win here. He’s in really good form at home and it looks an ideal opportunity for him to get his head in front again. The drop down to 2m 1f shouldn’t inconvenience him. He needed the run the last time he ran over the distance so that doesn’t concern me.

Felix Yonger (4.25) won the Hilly Way before having a bit of a setback. Leopardstown was an ideal comeback over hurdles and winning there puts him in good condition for a Grade 2 like this. He could have gone to Fairyhouse but both races are worth the same money. I know he’s only won once over two and a half but I’ve always been of the opinion that it would suit him. I didn’t think he sparked in the spring at all last year; maybe running on testing ground through the winter didn’t suit him. He seems to be in good nick and he won well the last day. Hopefully he can do so again and set himself up for a pop at a bigger race at Punchestown.

Flemenstar makes his comeback after a long lay-off, with a change of rider in Keith Donoghue. He’s obviously a very good horse but he’s had 18 months off, he’s not getting any younger and I’d imagine they’d have their eyes on bigger things down the road with him.

I ride Star Of Aragorn (2.55) for James Nash in Limerick. I suppose he’s having an unusual prep for a race like this, having run in Dundalk last night. But the race has cut up and James is giving him a go. Your Busy ran well for him in Cork so hopefully Star Of Aragorn can do the same.

Willie runs Bosman Rule and Sambremont in the two-and-a-half mile novice hurdle (3.30) and I’ve plumped for the latter, who’s a half-brother to Djakadam. I was a little disappointed with him in Thurles but looking back on it, he’s not that far behind Milsean, who ran a blinder at Cheltenham. He probably wants further but there are no races coming up so he has to run over two and a half.

Bosman Rule won last time over two miles but I think there’s a good race to be won with Sabremont. I think he’ll be a smashing horse over fences next year. I would love if this race was further but he’s wearing cheek pieces and I think he’ll give a really good account of himself.

I finish up on Val De Ferbet (4.35). He bolted in at Fairyhouse, beating Noble Emperor. He made a very bad mistake at the third last in Naas when Danny Mullins rode him. It looked like he didn’t get home that day but we’ve always thought he was a horse that wanted a trip. I’d say he’d improve for the better ground that we have now.

We’re very happy with his work and he’ll give a real good account of himself. Rule The World is the top-rated horse in the race but he’s still a maiden. Bishops Road isn’t too bad either but at the entry stage, this looked a stronger race than it does now. If Val De Ferbet gets into a good jumping rhythm he’ll run a huge race.

Comment

and more

Shaneshill (3.50) had a great run in Cheltenham when he was second to Douvan. He gets in here with no real penalties.

He’s had an up-and-down sort of year but he’s in really good form.

I think he ran a better race in Cheltenham than Outlander did and that was off a good lay-off too. He hadn’t run since early December and should improve a little for the run.

McKinley carries the Grade 1 penalty but was disappointing in Cheltenham. Maybe a smaller field in novice company might suit him better.

Shaneshill has his stablemates to beat but I think he’s my best ride on Sunday and should beat them.

In the opener, Unic De Bersy (2.20) hasn’t run since finishing second in a maiden hurdle at Clonmel 17 months ago. Prior to that, he won a bumper in Tipperary.

He went okay in a schooling hurdle at Thurles 11 days ago. It’s a long enough lay-off he’s coming off but we’re happy with him.

He wasn’t a bad horse and should run a good enough race but I think he’ll improve for the run all the same.

Willie has three in the Tattersalls bumper (5.30). Patrick rides Castello Sforza.

I rode him in a schooling bumper in Thurles last week and he went well, but it’s not a race Willie has much luck in.

It’s a sales race and Willie doesn’t tend to rush his horses, so it comes on us quick. We have a poor record in it but hopefully this fella will put that right.

In Cork, David Casey is on board On His Own (4.35) in what looks a match with Roi Du Mee in the Imperial Call Chase. He hasn’t won since he won the Bobbyjo last year and probably deserves to get his head in front. He ran a blinder in the Gold Cup but that said, Roi Du Mee is a fairly prolific winner at this grade.

Poker Gold (1.55) won in Dundalk but would have to prove he stays. Danny rides and he is also on Tennis Cap (5.10). He should surely improve from his first run back in Naas after a two-year lay-off. That was a very disappointing run. He will have to improve an awful lot but we think he’s an awful lot fitter.

Danny also gets the leg up on Argentino (3.30), who is working well but was very disappointing in Naas last time after winning his maiden in Clonmel. He would need to pick up on that.

Comment

Walsh has been giving the Paddy Power blog his tips on Saturday's contest and he has picked out his 1-2-3-4-5 in the feature!
              I know some of you cant sllep at night waiting for Rubys tips so here is his National 12345 via Paddy Power

Ruby's Five

1 - Shutthefrontdoor
              2 - Rocky Creek
              3 - Cause Of Causes
              4 - Ballycasey
              5 - Corrin Wood

SHUTTHEFRONTDOOR

Last year’s Irish National winner and they have a good record in this race. Looks to have been targeted at Aintree since then. Mightn’t be much value with the McCoy factor but definitely has a chance.

ROCKY CREEK

Won well at Kempton last time and looks well handicapped. A graded winner running in a handicap and looks to have a massive, massive chance. Was fifth in the race last year.

BALTHAZAR KING

Ran a blinder here last year. Jumps, stays and gives his all but it’s hard to think he’s ahead of the handicapper.

THE DRUIDS NEPHEW

He still looks to have plenty of improvement in him. He impressed me when he won well at Cheltenham and even in his defeat to Sam Winner you could see he was going places. A huge player but regular jock Barry Geraghty is missing through injury so Aidan Coleman gets a great spare ride.

CAUSE OF CAUSES

Won the four-mile chase at Cheltenham so has to enter calculations even if he doesn’t look particularly well handicapped. But there’s no point in being well handicapped if you don’t see out the 4m 4f trip and he looks like one that will definitely stay. Paul Carberry rides him and he won before on Bobbyjo in 1999.

SPRING HEELED

Don’t fancy him.

UNIONISTE

Third to the Gold Cup winner Coneygree the last time and is a class horse. Might be in the handicapper’s grip though.

GODSMEJUDGE

Former Scottish Grand National winner. Jumps and stays and handles good ground. Was a long way behind Rocky Creek at Kempton but may have had a bigger target in mind. Definitely has a chance.

PINEAU DE RE

Last year’s winner but it’s been a long time since a horse won back-to-back Grand Nationals. Not impossible, but as rare as an away win for QPR. Red Rum was the last in 1973/74 if you’re asking, Matt. I wasn’t born. You hear me?

ALVARADO

Fourth here last year but was a bit keen. Jockey Paul Moloney has a great record of getting horses placed in this race.Could have an each-way chance again if he settles a bit better.

BALLYCASEY

I’ll be riding him but there’s a question mark over whether he will stay the trip. Unfortunately we won’t know that until about 4.30pm next Saturday as they pass the post.

SOLL

Has been impressive in his couple of runs since switching to the David Pipe stable. A sound jumper and stays well but would need a career best to win it in my opinion.

MANY CLOUDS

A good winner of the Hennessy Gold Cup in November before being slightly disappointing in the Cheltenham Gold Cup. His chance will be improved by any rain that falls as he’s definitely better on soft ground. Has plenty of weight but certainly has the class on his day.

Comment

Thanks you Lester- Spring Heeled is the one then

Here is more

The 35-year-old first tasted Grand National success on Papillon in 2000 and Hedgehunter five years later, but while those two were both fancied in the betting he'll go for glory this time on a 33/1 outsider, even if it is trained by Willie Mullins.

Though he was a Grade One winner over fences as a novice, Ballycasey has lost his way this season and was last seen being pulled up in the Ryanair Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.

Walsh is convinced he's better than he showed that day and hopes the severe step up in trip will help him improve this weekend.

The jockey told Racing UK: "He was disappointing and got behind when running no race in the Ryanair. He got taken off his feet and got detached and maybe the step up in trip will suit him.

"We think he’s in good form but he has to put a couple of disappointing runs behind him. You look back to some of his novice chase form when he beat Don Cossack, he’d have a chance, but on his most recent form he’d struggle.

"If he gets into a good rhythm and jumps who knows, he definitely has the ability, it’s just getting it out of him that’s the problem."

If Ballycasey doesn't get Walsh among the headlines at Aintree, it's likely some of Mullins' other raiders will, with Arctic Fire, Champagne Fever and Un De Sceaux all going for Grade One contests this week.

Arctic Fire goes in the Doom Bar Aintree Hurdle on Thursday, his first go at two and a half miles, and Walsh is hopeful he'll get the trip.

"He ran a blinder [in the Champion Hurdle] and improved from Leopardstown to Cheltenham," Walsh said.

"He was behind Hurricane Fly and Jezki in Leopardstown, but he improved. Two and a half is a bit of an unknown with him but he’s in good form at home and has come out of Cheltenham well, so fingers crossed he can go and get his head in front. The way he came up the hill at Cheltenham you’d think he’d get it."

Champagne Fever missed Cheltenham having being denied a place in the Queen Mother Champion Chase after being bitten by stablemate Un Atout on the way over from Ireland.

Walsh says he's over that now and is looking forward to riding him in the Grade One Melling Chase on Friday: "It happens, we can’t change that now and he’s in really good form.

"He's yet to win at Grade One level yet over fences but hopefully he can step up to the plate on Friday.

"It’s a competitive race with Sire De Grugy and Don Cossack in there, but he’s in really good form and hopefully he can give a good account of himself."

The most exciting spectacle at Aintree this week could well be magnificent Arkle winner Un De Sceaux tackling the Mildmay fences in the Grade One Doom Bar Novices' Chase over two miles on Saturday.

"He worked this morning and he worked really well, we’re happy with him and Aintree should suit him," said Walsh. "There’s no undulations and if he jumps as well as he did at Cheltenham he’ll take an awful lot of beating."

Comment

Working...
                X