Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Secrets of price wise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets of price wise

Surprising facts you didn't know about Tom Segal (aka Pricewise): doesn't have a Betfair account; prefers tipping to betting; doesn't go racing very often; is as likely to be watching his beloved Reading play at home than cheering home his Saturday nap; claims he was rubbish at the jumps until Ruby Walsh came along.

If that's sated your appetite for The Secrets of Pricewise, a new book, then (as they used to say before giving the football results on the news) look away now, but if it has piqued your interest about the man Alistair Down once described as having "lobbed grenades down the front of the bookies' trousers" with monotonous impunity then there is more to follow.

More Clark Kent than Superman, with two kids and a mortgage, Tom Segal is an unlikely, if quintessential, working-class hero. And for many of the working class, he is precisely that. Polite and friendly in person, his raw enthusiasm for the craft of tipping washes out any possibility of personal or professional conceit that might come with what John McCririck describes as being "the only one who moves the market".

Trying to poke under the hood of racing's most successful tipping service proves instructive but far from definitive in its nuts and bolts. For one thing Segal, who started in the role 11 years ago, relies far more on intuition than his predecessor Mel Collier who had (in Tom's words) "a more scientific-type figures-oriented brain". He adds: "If Mel was doing the Cesarewitch, he would spend 10 minutes looking through every horse in the race. I'm not like that at all."

Segal is far more intuitive in his approach and quickly whittles large fields down to five or six horses with plausible chances. He then tries to assess chances based on the filter of which horse is likely to improve.

"I want to find the one that's got progression in it as I'd say 90 per cent of races are won by improvers," he says.

He is a disciple of the David Ashforth remark that the formbook is "useful for predicting what will happen in the past". Segal points out that betting markets are based on the facts of the formbook, ratings and figures and that his 'wild card' approach gives him his edge.

Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of Segal's worldview is the distinction he readily draws between tipping and betting. "I consider myself a much better tipster than a punter. I don't really have many bets -- maybe two a week, maybe not even that. The punting side has never really been that appealing to me. You invest so much of your energy in the tipping anyway so you feel like you get the reward if your horse does well -- without necessarily needing the monetary aspect that goes with it. It sounds silly but the more I bet the worse I tip."

It's wholly ironic that the one man most capable of taking down the bookies' trousers every Saturday is altogether indifferent to betting. "There's a massive difference the way the English think about horse-racing compared to the Irish. Over here, people are into it just purely for the betting. In Ireland, people love the sport. I'm definitely in the Irish camp -- because I love horse racing. I've

been going since I was five (grew up within commentary earshot of Sandown Park), and betting has always been secondary."

His fandom of Irish raiders in the UK under both codes is well-publicised and he is a frequent panellist at particular Irish pre-Cheltenham events.

"There's just a different attitude over there. Ted Walsh put it to me one day that when you're growing up in the UK you want to be David Beckham, but over here you want to be Ruby Walsh. And that sums it up. It's just in the fabric."

Ruby Walsh has more than just a fleeting significance for Segal, something that emerges when the question Flat v Jumps gets discussed. "Deep down I prefer the jumps . . . but I think jumping is much harder to find winners in because of the factors outside your control (ie the obstacles). I was pretty rubbish at the jumps until Ruby came along. He has been the biggest help to my career ever. Jockeyship is the most important ingredient in all races, but especially jump racing."

The hardest part of being a tipster in Segal's view is that you have to reconcile the good runs with the inevitable bad runs. He cites his laid-back temperament as a key to diffusing any judgement-impairing tension.

"With betting, nobody has to know if you've had a shocking bet. With tipping, you have 20 losers and the emails start flooding in; the Twitter accounts start raring up and you need to be able to take the hits. Fortunately, I never get too up-and-down. I'm pretty laid-back and I don't take it too seriously."

And don't expect to see too much of Pricewise on the racecourse. "I go to Cheltenham on Gold Cup day and to the Racing Post Trophy and that's about it."

And with that he's off to talk American football with James Willoughby who lives nearby. In life, as in his column, Tom Segal can't ever be accused of the bleedin' obvious.

@benaiken's The Narrowing the Field Site had a Q&A with him before Cheltenham. Hope they dont mind me putting it here :

Name – Tom Segal

Occupation – Tipster

Years involved in racing – Roughly about 20 years not very good with dates

First horseracing memory – Whitbread Gold Cup at Sandown sometime in 70′s

Background…

What first stirred your interest in horseracing?

Living next to Sandown

How did you become involved in the tipping side of horseracing?

Doing the odd Spotlight shift when I started at the Racing Post some 15 years ago

Career to date…

Proudest moment of career to date?

None, just doing my job

Which race that you personally made a Pricewise selection in stands out in your memory and why?

Sea The Stars in 2000 Guineas, spotting a great horse before many others

Which race do you wish you could relive and analyse/make a selection in again (good or bad)?

All the ones I don’t find the winner of, no preference

In the punting seat…

Most enjoyable aspect of being ‘Pricewise’?

The puzzle

How much ‘homework’ do you undertake before each selection?

Nowhere near as much as many think. 20 minutes maybe, big believer in keeping things simple

Which area of your selection process do you consider to be the most important?

Price and jockey

How thoroughly do you analyse your own selections after the race has been run?

Don’t. Never fester on the negative.

Apart from price what do you feel is the most important factor when analysing an ante-post market?

Trainer I suppose but price is by far the most important.

Best and worst tracks from a tipping perspective?

Worst Cheltenham and Goodwood, best don’t mind anywhere else

How do you deal with losing runs?

Like everyone else not very well, but I’ve done my job for a long time now and highs and lows don’t effect me so much anymore.

Wish list…

Which race do you wish you had been given the opportunity to make a Pricewise selection in?

I do all the big races so none I can think of. Very little interest in low quality stuff.

Which other sporting event do you wish you had been able to make a Pricewise selection for?

NFL

Which other sporting event would you like to have the opportunity to be involved in?

Superbowl

Racing and the general public…

In your opinion what could be done to attract new fans to the sport?

Nothing that no one hasn’t said before. Make it cheaper and shorten the time between races 20 mins is plenty. 10 race cards too.

Do you think Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, etc…) has had a positive impact on racing and how else do you think it could be used to further promote the sport?

No idea don’t use it, never will either.

Improving the sport…

What one thing would you like to see implemented to improve horse racing -

a) on-course? Shorten the time between races

b) off-course? Just improve the quality by getting rid of all the rubbish meetings

The Cheltenham Festival…

Is there too much emphasis placed on the Cheltenham Festival and do you think it is starting to devalue the rest of the National Hunt calendar?

No and no.

Would a 5th day at the festival strengthen the meeting or weaken it?

Weaken it massively. Too many crap races now, we don’t need any more.

Horses to follow…

Which horse are you most looking forward to following at this season’s Cheltenham Festival?

Minsk

Which Novice has impressed you most this season (hurdler or chaser) with a view to next season?

Grand Crus by a country mile

Which 2yo from 2011 should we look out for in 2012?

Akeed Mofeed (John Oxx)

Dark horse to follow for the 2012 flat season?

Pour Moi’s half-sister Kissed

Quickfire…

Cheltenham Gold Cup or Epsom Derby?

Not fussed give me the Stewards Cup any day of the week

Frankel or Black Caviar?

Frankel but I’ve never seen Black Caviar

A P McCoy or Ryan Moore?

Ruby Walsh

20 runner long distance chase or 35 runner 5f sprint (for punting purposes)?

Sprint every time

Just for fun…

If you could have any superpower what would it be and why?

Time travel. No losers then.

Many thanks to Tom Segal for agreeing to take part in the NTF Q&A session.

In case you didn’t already know Tom Segal’s Pricewise column can be found in the Racing Post.

Ben (NTF)

Comment

The Ante-Post King
      08 Oct 2012, 21:44
      Re: Tom Segal Q&A - post your questions here*
      Tom,your record speaks for itself and I'm one of those who finds 're-assurance' if I really fancy one that you have put it up yourself.I'll always remember Evens and Odds doing the business in the Stewards cup as he was a horse who had done nothing that year to suggest he was a serious contender but he showed his true colours on the day.My Question is how often do you bet Ante-Post and would you back one 10 months or so prior to a target? I have backed Dawn Approach at 20/1 down since the end of May for next years 2000gns! Cheers Gord.

Hi Ante-Post King - When I see a horse and a price I like, maybe a dozen or so times a year, and yes time is of no issue to me. "Lydia Hislops definately Got it"!

Classic Winner
      The Young Fella
      08 Oct 2012, 22:01
      Hi Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Was there ever a time, maybe after a run of losing selections, when you doubted your abilities? If so, how did you get to the other side and find your form again?

Yes but I've been doing my job for a long time now so I've got used to them. You just have to keep doing what suits you temperamentally. If you start changing your methods it gets to you mentally in the end.

"Maths is all about being lazy"

4PP World Champion 2010, Cheltenham Tipping Challenge Winner 2011

Classic Winner
      davidbrady
      08 Oct 2012, 22:14
      Hi Tom

Is there any bookmaker(s) who will make you think twice about a selection because they are a stand-out top price?

Thanks

David

David - No, not one.

Classic Winner
      Peruvian Chief
      08 Oct 2012, 22:18
      Mr. Segal -

Why is your flat record far better than jumps? Is it perhaps because National Hunt Racing increasingly revolves around having a horse "ready" for the Cheltenham Festival in March, whether this means 'fit' or 'well handicapped'.

This is my main frustration with NH Racing - I used to be 'Both', but now I am 'Flat'. Thanks in advance for an honest answer.

Is it? I thought I had my best jumps season ever last season but I wouldn't have a clue because I don't keep records. If I am worse on the jumps it will be because of the obstacles. One mistake and a horse can lose all chance and you can't factor that into calculations.

Classic Winner
      fivelongdays
      08 Oct 2012, 22:19
      Hi Tom,

Thanks for answering our questions.

I'd like to know - what single Pricewise selection gave you the most pride?

Probably Sea The Stars for the Guineas.

Also, which is the horse you tipped up that you ended up being most embarrassed about?

Too many embarrassing ones to mention. Carlton House last weekend was pretty special Twitter= @PGHenn

Part-owner of Outlaw Tom!

Listed Company
      deeman
      08 Oct 2012, 22:49
      Hi Tom

What are the most important factors in your selection process?

Thanks alot

Keep up the good work

DEEMAN

1. Identifying improvers

2. Jockeys, who don't balls it up

3. Make it my business not to get too involved in ground and trip requirements

and that's about it.

Classic Winner
      ivanjica
      09 Oct 2012, 02:02
      Tom, I echo the previous posters' gratitude in taking the time out to do the Q&A.

My questions are:

1) Some staking plans involve using a notional bank of say 100 "points", and the stake is determined as a percentage of that bank based on the relative chances of the selection.
      I notice you always use 1pt, and recall reading you don't see the point in using such a system (no pun intended!). Can you please share with us why in your opinion the "points" allocation per bet method is not necessary to be a successful tipster/punter.

Pricewise is a very popular betting medium these days and everyone knows it is difficult to get on. Therefore I prefer to keep things as realistic as possible by only staking 1pt every time because there is no way anyone can get on more than their normal stake. If I say have 54pts on a 20-1 shot what's the point (if you pardon the pun). It's totally unrealistic. Ideally I would no use points at all.

For a punter that doesn't have those restraints you can bet how you like. It seems pretty obvious but don't we all have more on the ones we fancy most. Apart from that I have no advice.

2) Without meaning to sound personal, how much of your income is derived from gambling (in percentage terms)? I ask because a lot of pro-punters seem to come and go and I wonder is having a steady regular income that is separate to the punting one important psychologically to ensure you don't put yourself under unreasonable pressure to produce winners? People such as Dave Nevison and Steve Mellish come to mind - pro-punters who also earn a regular steady income from their TV work.

Very little. No one seems to believe me but I'm not a big punter, never have been. I will back most of my selections if I have the time in the morning, often taking kids to sports clubs, but certainly don't lose any sleep over betting at all. I'm a tipster not a punter, there is a massive difference.

3) Do you produce a tissue and use that to determine the "value" within a market (a la Eddie Fremantle)? If so is there a formula you apply? Whilst I don't expect you to reveal your secrets on here (thats what the book is for ) it would be interesting to know how much of your approach is scientific compared with following gut instinct based on years of form study.

Many thanks in advance.

Nope no tissue. No science at all not one bit, intuition is my game. Explained more fully in James Milton's book.

Classic Winner
      stilvi
      09 Oct 2012, 16:21
      Several interesting questions already.

I would also be very interested in the reasons behind the 1pt strategy and wonder if it has anything to do with the fear of the throwaway selection winning rather than the headline one.

Anyway, a few of mine.

Can you give a brief history of what you did before Pricewise and how you initially got the job. On average how many hours a week do you spend working for the Post and do you have any 'additional jobs'?

Went To Uni. Brief spell in City hated it. Went to Raceform at Weatherbys in Wellingborough for a couple of years and then on to Racing Post about 16 or so years ago. No additional jobs and I can work when I see fit on a Pricewise day from about 10 to about 6.30.

How often do you look at a day's racing and there is hardly anything that you really fancy but you are forced to put up selections? How often has this worked to your advantage?

Good question I think that having the races I look at dictated to me by the bookmakers, it's a common misconception that I choose the races I look at, can be a help as I'm forced into those races rather than having to hunt around for a selection. Also don't get worried about ground and stuff like that because very often I have no clue what it is going to be like

As for not having a fancy that happens all the time.

It seems that you are forever being hyped by the Post - how embarassed (if at all) are you by a succession of poor results particularly over the past couple of seasons. Let's face it Tominator dug you out of a big hole last season and even when the Johnston stable came to your rescue at Goodwood you started the column by saying you never get the stable right - hardly confidence inspiring?

Thanks for that, big fan I see. The RP tell me that last year was my best ever so your statement is way out there but as for the RP hyping me up, that is up to them. I don't take any notice, don't read forums, don't have a twitter account and don't watch too much racing with the sound up. I'm just a tipster trying to find the winner of every race I look at. I simply can't do more than that.

What percentage of your selections do you actually back yourself?

Most if I can get on

How often, if at all, do you go racing?

About two or three times a year in England about same in Ireland.

I think many people would like to see your rolling profit/loss perhaps broken down between Flat/NH/Festivals/Ante-Post? What is your opinion?

Whatever doesn't bother me. I don't keep them though, only interested in next race

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Just a couple of supplementary questions in response to the extracts in today's Post.

I think the point about temperament is worth making but what numbers are you talking about when referring to losing runs - surely 30+ losers in a row is likely to stretch anyones patience?

However many it takes.

You imply how much easier it is to pick the winners of condition races. Yes, I would agree as there is obviously not so much luck involved, but why does your record not support this claim?

I've never implied that. Can't stand conditions races. Handicaps are my thing.
      Last edited by stilvi on 12 Oct 2012, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Winner
      Pants
      09 Oct 2012, 17:33
      Hi Tom

Simple one from me.

Any early fancies for Cheltenham next Spring?

Thanks

Hi Pants.

Not really I have a small bet on Riverside Theatre for the Gold Cup. Looking forward to seeing Cinders and Ashes again and think Dodging Bullets has a big future over hurdles.

Comment

Put up Lamb or Cod on Morning Line for today and Sire De Grugy (FR) of gary moores as one to follow for season.

Comment

He is some good punting advise from Pat Keane imo obviously

I often smile when hearing about horses who weren't "right'', after they have got beaten and, basically, disappointed connections.

There were two stand-out cases of late, Flemenstar and Puffin Billy, who went under to a very smart sort in Melodic Rendezvous at Exeter last Sunday. Yeah, yeah, I know something was found to be wrong with both of them, apparently, subsequently.

I have long thought, however, there are two sure ways to the poor house for punters. The first is blaming top-class jockeys and the other is making excuses for horses.

Keep it up and, as sure as night follows day, you'll go skint!

Comment

Working...
          X