Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Paul Nicholls Stable Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruby om todays rides

Get off to a flier with Far West in Cheltenham opener

By Ruby Walsh

Saturday, December 15, 2012

My nap of the weekend comes in the very first race at Cheltenham today — Far West in the juvenile hurdle — so we’ll all be out of our collective misery fairly early.

Mind you, I’m confident this progressive and gorgeous horse will do the business and that will, hopefully, set us all up for a decent couple of days.

Far West is one of many Paul Nicholls French-imports and has done everything, and more, asked of him in two outings in Britain.

He’s two from two, winning at Chepstow and Cheltenham. Far West was very green at Chepstow and green again the last day at Cheltenham.

But it didn’t stop him producing really good efforts and he is clearly heading in the right direction. He has lots of scope for improvement and I’ll be disappointed if we get beaten.

Shooters Wood has a light weight to carry in a handicap chase and shouldn’t be far away, after scoring at Cheltenham last time. I rode him and he went up 8lbs for that.

I’m going to be handy today, but will be keeping a bit for later on and he won’t be a sitting duck or anything. Shooters has a solid each-way chance, no more.

I’m on Aerial in a Grade 2 over hurdles, with the six-year-old returning to this game after finishing sixth of the six finishers behind Al Ferof in the Paddy Power at Cheltenham.

I’m hoping for the best, but suspect that three miles, on rain-softened ground, will probably find him out.

Cristal Bonus has his share of weight — 11-7 — in the Grade 3 handicap chase, but is more than capable of a big run.

He was good when taking a Grade 2 conditions chase at Down Royal on his reappearance and we’re hoping can build on that effort.

This, however, is competitive and Walkon — after chasing home Al Ferof in the Paddy Power — has to be on any short list.

It looks as if Paul’s Unioniste is going to get into the contest. This is a horse I really like and won’t be at all surprised should he win.

My day ends on Zarkandar in a cracking Grade 2 hurdle. We can safely narrow this down to three, my horse, Rock On Ruby and Grandouet and it’s such a good race that it should actually carry Grade 1 status.

I’m puzzled as to why Zarkandar is favourite in front of Rock On Ruby who is, after all, the reigning champion hurdler.

I suppose its because Zarkandar has had a run, but Harry Fry’s charges are flying and, with a lot of money on offer, I’d say Rock On Ruby will be fairly straight.

Grandouet is classy, but whether he will stay as well as the other two I don’t know. It’s a contest to savour and I’ve an open mind as to how it is going to work out.

Comment

Trainer Paul Nicholls has been dealt a double blow this evening with the news that Big Buck's and Al Ferof are 'unlikely' to race for the rest of the season.
      The former was due to run in Saturday's Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot, while Al Ferof was being prepared for an assault at the King George VI Chase at Kempton on Boxing Day.

Nicholls told Betfair: "At evening stables tonight, we discovered a problem with both Big Buck's and Al Ferof.

"I am not in a position to go into great detail at this point, but I can confirm that Big Buck's will not be taking up his engagement at Ascot on Saturday and Al Ferof will not be running in the King George.

"And both are unlikely to run again this season."

Big Buck's owner Andy Stewart later confirmed that his horse has suffered a leg injury.

Comment

Bit of a shocker. Two horses with tendon injuries that didnt happen on gallops ? I know nothing about this stuff but is that unusual ?

Comment

Following on from yesterday's Betting.Betfair exclusive, Paul updates us on his long-term plans for these two high profile horses and it may be this time next year before you see them again...

You are always living on the edge with racehorses, and yesterday we unfortunately lost Big Buck's and Al Ferof for the season.

I must stress that they are not career-threatening injuries, and maybe we could have even given them both a month's rest, and then kicked on again with them.

But I have learned down the years to stop and sort the problem immediately in these circumstances.

They were two separate incidents, and unfortunately these kind of injuries are part and parcel of the game when training supremely fit racehorses.

You only ever tend to hear about the good horses in these situations, but the injuries that Big Buck's and Al Ferof picked up happen to horses every day of the week in stables up and down the country. It's just that you never hear of them.

But, clearly with high-profile horses, we had a duty to inform the public as soon as the injuries were confirmed late on Monday afternoon and after I had spoken to the owners. And that is what we did last night in these columns.

Clifford is brilliant with legs and he first detected something possibly wasn't quite right with the horses on Sunday night. He wasn't overly-happy with them, so we called in Buffy on Monday morning to look at them and do some scans.

And when they came back and confirmed what we suspected, I immediately spoke to everyone concerned last evening and got the statement out as soon as I possibly could.

Both Andy Stewart and John Hales have been in the game a long time - they have been there and got the T-shirt - and both were as calm and understanding as I would have expected of two such professionals.

With Big Buck's, Clifford detected a tiny bit of heat on Sunday and that sent the alarm bells ringing. So Buffy scanned his near fore tendon on Monday, and that confirmed a tiny bit of damage.

He will now be given a month's box rest, and then be given 2-3 hours walking daily until the ground is better in April and we will turn him out.

Then he will probably come back in on September 1, with a view to running again next Christmas.

And the same recovery and training schedule awaits Al Ferof. He too had some heat in a leg at the weekend and I imagine he knocked himself either schooling or working, and suffered a bit of damage. But in these situations you never know for sure how and when it occurred.

If a footballer has a slight tweak then he will go to his manager and tell him. But horses can't talk - and that is where Clifford comes to the fore and excels.

Al Ferof is potentially so good that we will take our time with him, and he will have the same recovery schedule as Big Buck's, then go to Pat and John's for the summer.

Both horses will hopefully then be in a position to run at the Festival in 2014.

I have been in the game long enough to take these things in my stride, and so have my owners.

But, of course, it is hugely disappointing.

However, I always look on the bright side and it is now our job to meet the challenge, and get new horses to fill their places in the big races.

Ruby will now ride Kauto Stone in the King George and, looking at the World Hurdle, we have Wonderful Charm, Prospect Wells and perhaps even Tidal Bay to consider for that race.

Wonderful Charm has had a breathing operation since winning at Chepstow, and I may even consider Tidal Bay for the Cleeve Hurdle after he runs in the Lexus. For sure, he has enough talent and versatility to make his presence felt in the World Hurdle, as well as the Gold Cup.

You learn to live with disappointments in this game.

It is how you respond to them that marks out the resolve of the man, and the stable.

Comment

Ruby on today's rides

As we all know, Big Buck’s is out for the season, so Prospect Wells does duty instead for Paul Nicholls and I in the Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot.

Attempting to replace Big Buck’s is the same as trying to find someone as good as Brian O’Driscoll or Henry Shefflin. You can send on sub, but that’s all it is.

Anyway, we have to get on with the show and let’s see how Prospect Wells measures up. We have always thought he shaped like a stayer, although two and a half miles was what was in mind.

But now Prospect Wells goes over three and there is simply no way of knowing whether he will stay a trip that is almost a mile in excess of anything tackled previously.

He performed poorly at Cheltenham last time, but ignore that, as it came far too quickly after his previous outing.

He’s in good shape right now and if you are tempted to back him then do so each-way, with the dead eight facing the starter.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility we could saunter along for much of the trip and I’ll certainly be taking my time.

My day starts aboard Cedre Bleu in a graduation chase. He may have only three opponents, but you still couldn’t be overly confident.

Cedre Bleu disappointed at Newbury and the headgear Paul is putting on will have to work the oracle and bring about plenty of improvement if he is going to deliver.

And there is Ranjaan in the Ladbroke Hurdle, which has the making of as open a contest as you could wish to see.

This is a big pot and luck in running could play a major part. More than likely a whole wall of horses will be in contention off the home turn.

It will be the first outing of the campaign for Ranjaan and he will arrive on the back of wins last season at Taunton and Kempton.

He has a handy weight, 10-12, and Paul feels a decent prize is within his compass. He jumps and stays, although lacking somewhat in experience.

Listen, we could talk about this for an hour and not come up with the winner. Realistically, I’m just hoping to get lucky.

I finish on what I consider my best ride of the afternoon, Ulck Du Lin, in a two-miles plus handicap chase. He won nicely for Daryl Jacob at Newbury and went up 10lbs.

I was due to ride the horse that Saturday, but circumstances dictated otherwise. I got a fall on the Friday and hurt my hand.

I then had to take anti-inflammatories and, of course, they cause you to retain water. As a result, I wasn’t going to be able to do the weight and Daryl proved a more than able deputy.

I watched the race and was quite impressed. I know the handicapper hasn’t exactly been kind, but I’m still reasonably confident.

Comment

Paul sends out a sizeable team as he hunts big prizes on either side of the Irish Sea - here are his thoughts on all Thursday's runners

12:25, Kempton - Irish Saint

We bought him after he won a listed hurdle at Auteuil in September by 5 lengths and we like what we see of him at home. He could quite easily win this - the race has cut up a bit at the overnight stage - but I have to flag up a few potential negatives for anyone considering backing him. The form of his French win hasn't worked out that well, it's not ideal running horses with double penalties in these races and he is very much a chaser in the making and a horse for the future. Certainly, he isn't a Triumph Hurdle-type. But the French win was clearly full of promise, he does show us plenty of ability and the ground shouldn't be an issue; as ever though, I reserve full judgement on these French purchases until I get to see them on a racetrack for me for the first time.

12:55, Kempton - Hinterland

Very smart hurdler who was clearly disappointing on his chasing debut at Exeter. But he was far too free that day, and we rode him differently last time at Sandown. And I was delighted with his second to Captain Conan. He settled much better there, jumped nicely, and finished off his race a lot better and gave us plenty to build on. This is a very hot race, but we have always liked our horse, and this flat track should suit. Clearly, we have our work cut out against Simonsig, making a quick reappearance after Ascot, but we will give it a shot.

13:25, Leopardstown - Edgardo Sol

Was one of the most improved horses in training last season, and I have been pleased enough with his two runs this term, against a very impressive Cue Card at Exeter and then running well in the soft in a handicap hurdle at Newbury last time. Is up against it here against the likes of Sizing Europe but he is in good form at home and Ruby thinks this track will suit him well.

14:05, Kempton - Ghizao

I think this race being re-routed to Kempton works in our favour. Ghizao had a nice confidence-booster when winning here last month and the trip, flat track and soft ground are ideal conditions for him. I was delighted with his third to King George runner-up Captain Chris and For Non Stop over 2m3f in heavy ground at Ascot last time, and that gives us a fair chance in a small but highly competitive field. I think he will go well.

14:40, Kempton - Sanctuaire

We won't be as aggressive with him as we were in the Tingle Creek last time, where he ran himself into the ground. But whatever way we rode him there clearly wouldn't have made any difference as Sprinter Sacre was awesome. There is nothing of the calibre of the winner in here today and we clearly have a leading chance on the form of his Celebration Chase win at Sandown. However, he faces no straightforward task giving weight away to the likes of Wishfull Thinking, heavy ground isn't ideal, and I just have a feeling that this horse may be better in the spring. Certainly, his profile seems to suggest that at the moment; he obviously won the Fred Winter at the Festival in 2010, his best effort in the following campaign was when winning the Scottish Champion Hurdle in April 2011, and last season's best form was his Sandown win in April. Hopefully, I am wrong on that score and he can run up to his best today. If he does, he must go close.

15:15, Kempton - Rolling Aces

Won at Wincanton yesterday; we left him in here as a precaution.

15:45, Kempton - Dildar

I think a mark of 124 is very fair judged on his Ayr third and he has soft ground, winning form on the Flat. Furthermore, he has had the benefit of a summer breathing op and a racecourse gallop with Ranjaan recently. But I have to say that he has taken a long time to come to himself, and been very difficult to train. So I can't be confident here, especially in such a competitive race first time out. But let's get him out and see what we have.

Comment

Ruby

travel to Wales today for six rides at Chepstow and it is great that the rescheduled Welsh National forms part of the programme.

I’m on Michel Le Bon for Paul Nicholls and I’m hoping for the best, in what looks a fiercely competitive contest.

The Welsh National is always an absolute grueller and is far more stamina-sapping than the Aintree equivalent, even though that is run over much further.

Basically, what you need for this ferocious test is a horse who stays six miles and, perhaps, Michel Le Bon may end up ticking all of the right boxes.

He is now a ten-year-old, but doesn’t have huge mileage on the clock. Indeed, this will only be his fifth ever outing over fences.

He ran a cracker last time when chasing home The Package at Wincanton. There is a load of jumping to be done at Chepstow and, for Michel Le Bon to have a shout, he is going to have to get that aspect of his game largely spot-on.

I’ll be trying to get him into a good rhythm, will then creep away, creep away, and see where all of that takes us.

I start on Sin Bin in a maiden hurdle. He has been second twice at Chepstow of late and this isn’t the stiffest of tasks.

But, at the same time, all he has is a chance and I’m not exactly jumping up and down when it comes to his prospects.

I do, however, think I’ll win the beginners chase on Keppols Hill. He did his best to fall at the last at Ffos Las and then managed it at Exeter next time.

We were about two lengths clear at Exeter and there is no doubt Keppols Hill would have won. He owes me and this is a good opportunity.

Caid Du Berlais is certainly interesting in the Grade 1 juvenile hurdle. This is his first run for Paul, on the back of finishing second on two occasions at Auteuil.

It is going to be a real ask for four-year-olds, but Paul likes this horse a lot, so let’s hope he is right throwing him in at the deep end.

Then it is Cedre Bleu in a handicap chase. I won on the horse at Ascot and he did his job nicely that day. Trip and track will suit, so he shouldn’t be far away.

If I’m still waiting for a winner come Roger Beantown, in another handicap hurdle, then I’m going to be in trouble.

He can be keen, so it will be a case of switching him off and attempting to stay on as best we can in the closing stages.

Comment

Steve Hughes ( good tipster) likes Royal Charm at Sandown

Sandown 3.40: ROYAL CHARM (6-1 general)
                  Paul Nicholls reckons soft going is the key to Royal Charm, so he should relish the unusually slow conditions on Sandown’s chase track today and make use of his declining handicap mark.

Like quite a few of Nicholls’ horses last season, Royal Charm never appeared to be quite right, and the form he showed as a younger horse was not repeated. He made his name as a hurdler with wins on heavy ground, running particularly well at Exeter, a right-handed track not dissimilar to this.

His poor form last season saw his handicap mark tumble from 145 to 133, but he served notice he was coming back to his best when second over hurdles at Chepstow in October. He backed that up at the same venue when a close third over fences last time and if he is better going right-handed, he should be able to take advantage of the same mark of 135 today, off his handy weight of 10-5.

Comment

The main himself on betfair

aul Nicholls talks exclusively to Betfair about his six runners at Chepstow on Welsh Grand National day...

12:25 Chepstow - Sin Bin

Won two of his three bumpers, and has run two nice races over course and distance, showing a fair level of form each time. But he has looked a bit green still on both occasions and has made mistakes at crucial times, so we have done a lot on his jumping at home since his last run. Hopefully, he will be sharper in that department today and I would hope that he would go close. Eleven Fifty Nine is the one to beat.

13:00 Chepstow - Keppols Hill

Is a smart recruit from the pointing field and he really should have been two from two over fences, blundering badly at the last when looking set for a clear-cut victory at Ffos Las and getting collared on the line, and then falling at the last when a couple of lengths clear at Exeter last time. It was a bad fall last time and you always want to see to how horses react on the track after such a bad experience, and if they have lost any confidence. But we have given him a nice break and he seems in good order. Is due a change of luck, and 3m on heavy ground round here should suit him ideally. And if he had met the last correctly on both his chase starts this season, then he would have recorded a level of ability that would see him as the clear form choice here. He has been schooling in cheekpieces at home to help him concentrate, and he wears them here.

13:35 Chepstow - Caid Du Berlais

French recruit who has already shown a level of form that would see him competitive here, winning a hurdle and then finishing runner-up in two decent races at Auteuil. The form of his placed efforts may not have worked out that well, but I applied for a mark for him from the handicapper and was told 142, and that is only 3lb behind Far West. I am not sure about that - and Timeform rate him a lot lower than 142 - but Holly Evans, who rides both horses at home, tells me there isn't much between them. We have kept him specifically for this race, he already has decent form in the book and I expect a good run. But there are loads of dangers in here and I was particularly taken by Tim Vaughan's Swnymor when he won at Newbury; he could be the one to beat.

14:10 Chepstow - Cedre Bleu

Had a breathing operation in the summer, but ran too free when a fair fourth in a Newbury handicap first time up. So we fitted him with cheekpieces, as well as a first time tongue tie, in a graduation race in heavy ground over 2m6f at Ascot last time and he won a bit snugly. That race may not have taken that much winning with his main rival Solix disappointing, but he did it well and the handicapper has been sensible and left him on the same mark as Newbury. You can never be sure how horses will cope with heavy ground here, but I'd be hopeful of a big run.

14:45 Chepstow - Roger Beantown

Probably should have won when second in a maiden hurdle over 2m1f here in November but then disappointed in a handicap at Cheltenham last time. But is crying out for a trip, and if that is the case then I would expect him to go close off a mark of 122 here. This is his last run before he goes chasing.

15:20 Chepstow - Michel Le Bon

This has been the target for him ever since he finished second to The Package in the Badger Ales. And, although 4lb higher here, that looks fair enough after the winner's subsequent fourth in a red-hot Hennessy and the fact that the pair pulled 40-odd lengths clear of the third at Wincanton. In fact, he looks well handicapped on that form. As ever, the trip and the ground are the nagging doubts in a Welsh National - he has not raced on anything this heavy - but he is best when fresh, and he seems in very good order at home. We will creep him into the race and see what happens.

Comment

13:15 Sandown - For Two

Won a hurdle at Autueil back in March and he arrived here as a big, strong horse very much in the mould of Hinterland. And if anything, he is a much fitter and stronger horse than when making a satisfactory debut for me when second to Handazan at Aintree in October. So I would hope that you will see an improved performance from him today. And, as this race has cut up a fair bit at the overnight stage, I have to be hopeful of a big run from him.

13:50 Sandown - Domtaline

Ideally, he probably wants 2m4f on good ground to show his best. But he didn't run too badly when second to Kumbeshwar off levels in very testing ground over 2m at Haydock in November, and the winner hasn't done the form any harm with good, if distant, seconds to Sprinter Sacre and Sanctuaire on his last two starts. So we take our chance again here, although I don't think he is especially well handicapped.

15:00 Sandown - Valco De Touzaine

As a 4yo, he gets a 12lb allowance here, so is potentially fairly treated. And I was very pleased with his second over course and distance on his debut for me last month; granted, the winner ran poorly behind Irish Saint at Kempton last time but the pair pulled 18 lengths clear of the third at Sandown and don't forget we were running under a double penalty there as well. I have been pleased with him at home since and I can see him going really well in what is clearly a very competitive handicap. One of my best chances of the day, in fact.

15:40 Sandown - Royal Charm

We were toying with the Welsh National for him but I wasn't convinced he needs 3m5f110yd in testing ground, so we come here instead. And don't forget that this is a very valuable £50,000 handicap in its own right. We have been mixing and matching him over hurdles and fences this season and he was beaten under two lengths by leading Chepstow fancy Sona Sasta at that course last time. He races off the same mark here and has a nice racing weight with 10st 5lb; I give him a good each way chance.

Comment

We were fortunate enough to win Britain's richest handicap hurdle, the Betfair Hurdle at Newbury, with Zarkandar last year. And we have seven entries this time around. All are possibles for the race at this stage, but some likelier than others. I will update on their progress in the coming weeks.

But, for now, I will take you through each one, in alphabetical order.

Caid Du Berlais: I was happy enough with his second at Chepstow last week, especially as he ran a bit green on his first start over English-style hurdles. We will see how he comes out of that race and make a plan.

Celestial Halo: Was last seen out in the Champion Hurdle in March, and has been out since with a minor leg injury. We would like to run him here, possibly en route to a crack at the World Hurdle, so we are stepping on the gas with him at the moment. Will probably need further than 2m these days but is two from two over hurdles at Newbury, including when winning a handicap hurdle off a mark of 160 in December 2011.

Dark Lover: Has been put up a ludicrous 17lb for his wide-margin win at Cheltenham last time, but what can you do? We will have a look at this race for him but he may go to Taunton on January 19th for a valuable open handicap that Betfair are sponsoring, and go from there.

Dildar: Pleased me when a running a nice race on his comeback at Kempton, but he has been put up 6lb for finishing second there. He could go to Cheltenham at the end of the month, after which we will know more.

Edgardo Sol: We have been mixing and matching over hurdles and fences with him this season, and he certainly wasn't disgraced when third to Sizing Europe and Rubi Light in a Grade 1 in Ireland last time. Currently rated 148 over hurdles and is a possible.

Pearl Swan: Showed a lot of promise over hurdles last season and has been out with a small injury this season. But, like Celestial Halo, we are stepping on the gas with him now, as I would love to run him here. My only concern is that the race may just come a week or two too soon. But he is fairly handicapped on 146, and will be getting a Champion Hurdle entry too. The next couple of weeks will tell us where we stand with him.

Ranjaan: Disappointing on his reappearance but Ascot showed us that he wants better ground and I think he could be a horse for something like the County Hurdle. I'd like to think he has races in him off his current mark, given suitable conditions.

Comment

Betfair Column today

12:20 Kempton - Vibrato Valtat

Won one of his two good-ground National Hunt Flat races in the Provinces in France and delighted me when second at Exeter on his debut for us in a bumper last month. He looked like winning for a long way over 1m5f in heavy ground there, before just being denied in the closing stages by a newcomer of Nick Williams. That was decent enough bumper form - he carried a 7lb penalty there - and it will be good to see what he can do over hurdles.

He has been working and schooling well in preparation for this. But this could be a very hot race. L'Unique sets a high form standard on his Aintree win, even if the runner-up got beaten at odds-on at Catterick on Thursday, and Nicky's French import looks very interesting, too. And newcomer Deia Sunrise was a near 100-rated 1m2f winner on the Flat. This will take some winning.

13:30 Kempton - Buck's Bond

Always showed a lot of potential in the point field but, to be honest, I wasn't expecting him to win on his hurdling debut at Taunton last time as he is still relatively raw and inexperienced. But he proved me wrong there, travelling well throughout and holding on well close home having been in front a shade too soon.

This is a clear step up in class but the runner-up followed up at Chepstow on Tuesday and I would like to hope that the 7yo, whose dam is a half-sister to a certain Big Buck's, can build on that victory here.

13:50 Warwick - Rocky Creek

We left a bit to work on before his reappearance, so I was more than happy with his second to Harry Topper. And, anyway, the winner went to win a Grade 2 at Newbury next time, so the form was clearly very smart. So he probably didn't have to improve to win at Doncaster last time, even though he was pretty impressive in beating Molotof by an easy four lengths.

Although he won his point on soft ground, this is probably the most testing ground he has experienced under Rules - his Grade 2 hurdle win at Doncaster last season came on good to soft - and this looks a pretty competitive novice chase. So they are concerns. But we think a fair bit of him, and we hope he can underline his potential with a win here. Highland Lodge looks the one to beat.

14:40 Kempton - Black Thunder

Clearly showed a lot of promise when coming from off the pace to finish second at Haydock in November, and I think Ruby will probably admit he probably should have won there. Unfortunately, the handicapper thought so too and saw fit to raise him 6lb, even though the form of that race hasn't worked out that well. But that run clearly showed we have a horse on the upgrade, and conditions should suit here. I think he will go well, even if the handicapper hasn't made life easy. But Harry takes a very handy 5lb off.

Comment

Ruby picks out 3

I’m giving a good chance to three Paul Nicholls horses in England. If I wasn’t suspended then I’d be at Kempton basically to partner Black Thunder in the Lanzarote Hurdle.

I rode him to finish second at Haydock last time, when we got shuffled back and really should have won.

I know he went up a bit in the weights for that, but Harry Derham now takes off 5lbs and I think they’ll deliver.

Buck’s Bond won’t be far away in a three miles plus novice hurdle. He won at Taunton and, I’d imagine, is likely to come on a bundle.

Make a note of Rocky Creek in a novice chase at Warwick. He can win for Daryl Jacob, with this three miles just what he wants.

Comment

Paul Nicholls has warned leading RSA Chase contender Rocky Creek is not certain to make the trip to the Cheltenham Festival.
                              Second to Harry Topper on his chasing debut at Exeter in October, the seven-year-old has run out an impressive winner twice since, most recently at Warwick last weekend.

He is as short as 10-1 third favourite for the major prize for staying novice chasers at Cheltenham in March, but Nicholls already has one eye on next season.

"Rocky Creek travelled and won really impressively at Warwick, and he will obviously be given an entry in the Sun Alliance (RSA)," the champion trainer said in his Betfair column.

"But I view Rocky Creek as very much a horse for next season, and I am already looking forward to the Hennessy with him. So I wouldn't mind missing Cheltenham with him, like we did with Silviniaco Conti last year, and going to Aintree.

"But obviously nothing will be decided until I sit down with Andy Stewart and David Johnson (owners), though I think a race such as the Reynoldstown at Ascot could be an option for his next start.

"Wherever he goes next, and whatever he does this season though, he is a proper horse for the future."

Comment

Working...
                              X