Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Weekend Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going in on Theatre Guide Saturday for the BetBright Chase. 8/1 currently, his prep towards this race has pretty much been identical, all bar the Welsh National run, to last year before going on to win it.

Some of the races he has done better than last year, others not so well. I feel they ran him in the Welsh National purely for staying and fitness purposes as he has a much bigger weight than last year to take on board this time around, I think 1st & 5lbs more.

As I also said in the Gold Cup thread, I believe it to be common knowledge that he works at home alongside Cue Card, and that horse was very well last weekend, so I suspect Theatre Guide is in good heart or he wouldn't have held his entry in this race.

His general form has been pretty good this year, he won a competitive race at Cheltenham 2 runs back, which was sandwiched in between 2 efforts that were won by none other than stablemate and Gold Cup favourite Native River. I'm always a little sceptical about horses running against stablemates, they know how good each horse is, and they knew full well that NR was the one to beat, of which no other horse could, so for that reason Theatre Guide's entries in them races were purely for fitness purposes and to get a run into him.

So, that's my case for my main weekend bet.

Comment

Also had a saver on Irish Saint, who looks very well in and has solid Kempton form, 3 runs and 3 wins. Might even dabble on the rev. f/cast.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
        Going in on Theatre Guide Saturday for the BetBright Chase. 8/1 currently, his prep towards this race has pretty much been identical, all bar the Welsh National run, to last year before going on to win it.

Some of the races he has done better than last year, others not so well. I feel they ran him in the Welsh National purely for staying and fitness purposes as he has a much bigger weight than last year to take on board this time around, I think 1st & 5lbs more.

As I also said in the Gold Cup thread, I believe it to be common knowledge that he works at home alongside Cue Card, and that horse was very well last weekend, so I suspect Theatre Guide is in good heart or he wouldn't have held his entry in this race.

His general form has been pretty good this year, he won a competitive race at Cheltenham 2 runs back, which was sandwiched in between 2 efforts that were won by none other than stablemate and Gold Cup favourite Native River. I'm always a little sceptical about horses running against stablemates, they know how good each horse is, and they knew full well that NR was the one to beat, of which no other horse could, so for that reason Theatre Guide's entries in them races were purely for fitness purposes and to get a run into him.

So, that's my case for my main weekend bet.
        Mirrors my thoughts on the race too CoD. I have a real soft spot for Theatre Guide and think he has an outstanding chance tomorrow.

Comment

I'm on a stag do in Llangollen this weekend, White Water rafting ... going straight after work so haven't got time to do my usual planning/plotting and punting! You've made a really good case, and FM has echoed it.... that might have saved me a good few hours I know you shouldn't ever back a horse without making your own opinions, but I feel a bit lazy, the calm before the storm?

Comment

Theatre Guide won this last year off a 14lb lower mark, to be fair he won it very easily but a stone more ?
            I haven't done the trends for this race but I assume like so many other handicaps unexposed sorts do well.
            Three Musketeers could run well....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              Three Musketeers could run well....
              Do you find his weight a bit harsh?

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
                Do you find his weight a bit harsh?
                On the face of it yes, but he is the one horse who could prove to be better than his mark.
                I know Skelton is very very keen on this horse, winner of G2s over timber and (novice) fences he could easily step up to G1 class and I can't see too many of these making that jump...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                  On the face of it yes, but he is the one horse who could prove to be better than his mark.
                  I know Skelton is very very keen on this horse, winner of G2s over timber and (novice) fences he could easily step up to G1 class and I can't see too many of these making that jump...
                  He seemed to hang slightly right last time, so tomorrows track should should.

Comment

Looking for a bit of value today, going for 2 in the Eider at Newcastle, this is a real stamina test and there are plenty of doubtful stayers here, so Portrait King at 14's looks way overpriced, the second one is Mountainous, stable been in rare form, 5 places for ew, so I'm hoping for both to make the frame

Comment

I've has small interests in Out Sam and Knockenrawley in the Eider in what will be a proper slog...

Comment

Also looking for value, so gone for Opening Batsman 14/1 in the BetBright Chase.

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
                          Also looking for value, so gone for Opening Batsman 14/1 in the BetBright Chase.
                          That's a great shout. Well weighted and not prepared to give up a pound by putting Noel Fehily up - has to have a real chance

Comment

Originally posted by Bayoffreedom View Post
                            That's a great shout. Well weighted and not prepared to give up a pound by putting Noel Fehily up - has to have a real chance
                            I had a quick look and went for the swing in weights like you said BOF. But I also factored in OB has no real plans after this race.

Comment

Think that Ballycoe (6/1) must have a chance. CD winner (very easy) and the ground (crucial to him) has come right.
                              Over in Ireland, Wounded Warrior is due to show a little more (5/1)

Comment

I'd never recommend a major plunge a week before the big one but I'm struggling to understand why Shotavodka can be backed at 15/2 in the vets chase at Newbury tomorrow.
                                This is a race he won last year off 1lb lower, on similar ground, but he slammed his field 11l last year without coming off the bridle, and I mean, never coming of the bridle.
                                There's probably more depth to this years renewal but this horse has an excellent record around the track and worth backing to follow up...

Comment

Working...
                                X