Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

St Leger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Leger

Continuous @ 4/1 for me. Unbeaten at 2, very good 3rd in the Dante on debut after 230 days off (surprised he went there without having a run), not sure what happened in France a few weeks later (maybe came too soon) but he ran a blinder at Royal Ascot behind King Of Steel, beating Arrest 9L in the process. If Frankie chooses Arrest he'll probably go off favourite, but I couldn't have him over Continuous. The Great Voltigeur run was mustard. Gregory tried to carbon copy what he did at Ascot but wasn't good enough. Continuous hit the line hard and did all his best work late which bodes well for the step up in trip. I really like him for this and am not sure why he's not stronger in the market.

*Frankie is riding Arrest. Interesting isn't it that he's jumped off the market fav to ride a horse Continuous battered (ground to blame for that probably), and the owners of Middle Earth from the same yard have paid 50 grand (which is nothing I know) to run him too. All smacks of Gosden and co have no real standout which makes me all the more confident on Continuous

Last edited by charlie; 14 September 2023, 08:47 AM.

I'm into my conspiracies plus I'm a silly old sentimental sod.
    Everything tells me the Kings horse will win the St Leger tomorrow. A year on from the Queens death, around 50 years since the Royals last won a classic (also a St Leger) ........it all adds up doesn't it. The King and old dog will be present as well to pick up the Trophy.

Comment

Will continous stay the trip?

Feel like gregory has a good chance of reversing that form

Continous was in the perfect spot held up, picking up the pieces in a race that fell apart, gregory got caught in the pace battle (the other two horses on the pace were beaten a long way) and was giving him 3lb

I backed arrest on Monday at what looked a good price but the rain that was forecast for Friday and Saturday hasn't materialised and my confidence has diminshed quite a bit

I may add gregory tomorrow so iv got a good bullet regardless of ground, really like the queens vase as a trial for this

Shoemark will need to show more brains than dettori did at york though, don't try to go with the ballydoyle pacemakers just sit third and conserve petrol

If there is enough dig for arrest think he has a knocking chance

Comment

The Kings horse loves a bit of dig as well.... unbeaten on that surface.....it's written in the stars Liz

Might have to double him up with Vauban Charlie....

Charlie!!!!! That's the Kings name.......bloody conspiracy. Even he's on this forum.
        Last edited by Lobos; 15 September 2023, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Gregory still the one to beat for me. Could be confirmation bias sticking with an antepost pick but... Fuck Frankie.

Can't really see a standout between the rest anyway so not going to cover anything.

​​​​​​​Still seems on the soft side mind.

Comment

Originally posted by FinalFurlong91 View Post
            Will continous stay the trip?

Feel like gregory has a good chance of reversing that form

Continous was in the perfect spot held up, picking up the pieces in a race that fell apart, gregory got caught in the pace battle (the other two horses on the pace were beaten a long way) and was giving him 3lb

I backed arrest on Monday at what looked a good price but the rain that was forecast for Friday and Saturday hasn't materialised and my confidence has diminshed quite a bit

I may add gregory tomorrow so iv got a good bullet regardless of ground, really like the queens vase as a trial for this

Shoemark will need to show more brains than dettori did at york though, don't try to go with the ballydoyle pacemakers just sit third and conserve petrol

If there is enough dig for arrest think he has a knocking chance
            Given how Continuous powered through the line LTO I am confident he'll stay. Worth noting AOB said he was carrying plenty of condition at York and they expected him to come on for the run, so if he improves for that then I think he will be hard to beat.

I have doubts about the JG runners and can see why Frankie abandoned Gregory. When Gregory is held up he can be quite keen as we saw at Goodwood. They let him bowl along at Ascot which worked really well. Frankie made the decision to do the same at York. They definitely went faster earlier than they did at Ascot and it will have taken the sting out Gregory's finish, but Frankie wanted to get to the front and looked happy out there on his own, he just couldn't get away with it vs better horses. Castle Way appeared to run his race too and Continuous ultimately beat them both convincingly.

I presume the Arrest drift is ground related because it cant be soft enough for him, but whats he actually achieved? He beat Adelaide River convincingly on soft when we know AR wants good ground. He's been beaten by Dubai Mile on heavy. He's been brushed aside with relative ease in his Group races (where admittedly he didn't get his conditions). They clearly think a lot of him as he always goes off a short price, but he feels like a reputation horse rather than a horse with substance in the form book.

Comment

We really don't know how good arrest is

Can throw out the derby and ascot he simply doesn't go on good to firm, no idea why they ran him at ascot even someone as uninformed as me can see he has a very rounded knee action and was going to hate the ground.

His two runs with cut he's won very easily

Last time he made all, the 3 horses ridden prominently with him filled the last 3 spots and the ones held up finished 2nd/3rd and 4th

Hes the type of grinding galloper i like for this particular test, with the big long doncaster straight suiting that type

I like to back what i percieve to be guaranteed stayers in this race these days and have had good success with Kew gardens, galileo chrome and Eldar Eldarov antepost

Gregory also fits the profile I like of a slow burning type that didn't race at 2 who will have had the leger as his main target all season.
              The question for him is will he go on the softer ground, watching the queen's vase there is a bit of knee bend there in his action but not a lot.
              Golden horn his sire won with cut but much preferred good ground as was the case with most by cape cross.
              His half brother Lionel won a listed race on soft, but the dam never raced on anything worse than gd.

So I'd say inconclusive on the ground for him.

My opinion on this race is there isn't a proper classy type like logician or hurricane lane this year and these renewals are often won by a grinder. Like a galileo chrome who looked beat at the 2 pole but just kept galloping.

Will be an interesting watch

Comment

As someone who is sat on a 25/1 slip with Gregory, I hope he does the business. He has every chance of reversing the Continuous form on 3lb better terms, over this extended trip and with a better ride. There's no doubt about it Frankie went suicidal fractions in the voltigeur and he was never winning from after 2 or 3 furlongs. The other obrien horses should be prominent this time round so Kieran just needs to take a lead off them. He has more racing experience now so I'm not too worried about him having to drop in behind. I will definitely be having a cover bet on Chesspiece too, he looks way overpriced compared to Desert Hero, this trip will suit him much more than the Gordon Stakes and he could be the improver in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by FinalFurlong91 View Post
                  We really don't know how good arrest is

Can throw out the derby and ascot he simply doesn't go on good to firm, no idea why they ran him at ascot even someone as uninformed as me can see he has a very rounded knee action and was going to hate the ground.

His two runs with cut he's won very easily

Last time he made all, the 3 horses ridden prominently with him filled the last 3 spots and the ones held up finished 2nd/3rd and 4th

Hes the type of grinding galloper i like for this particular test, with the big long doncaster straight suiting that type

I like to back what i percieve to be guaranteed stayers in this race these days and have had good success with Kew gardens, galileo chrome and Eldar Eldarov antepost

Gregory also fits the profile I like of a slow burning type that didn't race at 2 who will have had the leger as his main target all season.
                  The question for him is will he go on the softer ground, watching the queen's vase there is a bit of knee bend there in his action but not a lot.
                  Golden horn his sire won with cut but much preferred good ground as was the case with most by cape cross.
                  His half brother Lionel won a listed race on soft, but the dam never raced on anything worse than gd.

So I'd say inconclusive on the ground for him.

My opinion on this race is there isn't a proper classy type like logician or hurricane lane this year and these renewals are often won by a grinder. Like a galileo chrome who looked beat at the 2 pole but just kept galloping.

Will be an interesting watch
                  I think thats fair.

He didn't win on heavy vs Dubai Mile though. He had a winning prep and no excuses really, but obviously ran really well in 2nd.

It will be interesting to see how FD rides him.

If I had to back one of the JG lot it would probably be Gregory - surely they'll hold on to him rather than let him fly off.

Galileo Chrome was a great one to watch. I'm looking forward to it more than I do most flat races! Good luck

Comment

Good performance from continuous

Stayed the trip nicely

Arrest pulled his chance away, was keen all the way round

Comment

Enjoyed that. Mustard.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                        Enjoyed that. Mustard.
                        Well done Charlie, good shout.

Comment

Working...