Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

St Leger 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not a flat man in the slightest i dont enjoy it anywhere bear as much as the jumps, but its been an interesting one for me this year and ive enjoyed it alot more then usual betting wise, im slowly learning more and more so all i can do on this flat thread is just read and learn! And im massively thankful to that 80/1 landing in the derby so whoever put him up top man! I think that love looks unreal proper eye catching even to the untrained eye it just kept chugging this weekend and certainly wasnt slowing coming to the line id say surely the st leger would almost be a perfect trip, the other nag that has made me have a go for next year already is battleground!

Comment

Darain currently 20/1 for St Ledger runs at Newmarket today. With a comfortable win predicted and probable shortening of price I’ll be having a nibble at the 20s while available

Comment

Originally posted by BookieBasher View Post
        Darain currently 20/1 for St Ledger runs at Newmarket today. With a comfortable win predicted and probable shortening of price I’ll be having a nibble at the 20s while available
        How did you think he ran?

They commented he was hard to pull up after the line...

Still available at 20/1 now.

I wasn't blown away but I feel like it's pretty clear I'd be able to trade out. He was generally cut to 16/1?
        Last edited by Kevloaf; 24 July 2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BookieBasher View Post
          Keen goer. Doesn’t shape like he wants that trip to me. I’m on Al Aasy 17.5/1 boosted. Have to wait and see what Aiden runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceiskey View Post
            Keen goer. Doesn’t shape like he wants that trip to me. I’m on Al Aasy 17.5/1 boosted. Have to wait and see what Aiden runs.
            I'm not sure I agree that he hasn't shaped like he wanted the trip? I'd struggle to say he wouldn't get further.

Being too keen at the moment wouldn't help but I'd certainly give him another start to improve there and then he's got to be in the conversation?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
              I'm not sure I agree that he hasn't shaped like he wanted the trip? I'd struggle to say he wouldn't get further.

Being too keen at the moment wouldn't help but I'd certainly give him another start to improve there and then he's got to be in the conversation?
              Maybe in time but will be a rushed prep and I don’t see him being ready. Inexperience will catch him out imo.

Comment

Maybe in time but will be a rushed prep and I don’t see him being ready. Inexperience will catch him out imo.
                They would have to test his metal in the great Voltigeur.

Comment

They would have to test his metal in the great Voltigeur.
                  How many runs does the average St Leger winner have?

If he takes in the Great Volly, St Leger 4th run?

I havne't got time to check now though matey, will be back on later

Comment

Darain was keen, it was his 2nd start, he got left out wide with no cover, so its understandable.

I think he knuckled down well, stretched out to the line well, his best furlong was his last one and I think he needs further.

He could run in a handicap next, like Logician on his 3rd run, after a debut at Newbury then a Novice at Newmarket.

Darain is one run short of Logician (Voltigeur was his 4th start) due to the shortened season, so its a bit tight for the Leger, but the owner didn't spend £3M+ to win peanuts, so if he won his next start well then it could happen.

I think what would be pretty clear, is if he was declared in a 10F race next time out then he isnt going to the Leger.

If he went into a Handicap, Listed or Group 3 over 12F next time then it would be more likely to point to a possible Leger run. (Logician did 10F, 10F, 12F Handicap off OR 90, and bolted in, his three RPRs in those races were 91, 93, 109).

I think Gosden also won with Palace Pier in a Group 1, last month, after a Maiden-Novice-Handicap 3 race prep.
                    Palace Pier's three RPRs pre Group 1, were 91-96-110.
                    The big step up in form 3rd time out bought him the Group 1 ticket.

Darain's debut was also an RPR of 91, todays race rating may be similar. If he is to go Group 1 St Leger on his 4th run then a win next time out, over 12F rated 105+ would probably be required.

Almighwar looks like Gosdens other horse with a similar profile, though he's won twice over 12F.
                    Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 24 July 2020, 09:26 PM.
                    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                      Darain was keen, it was his 2nd start, he got left out wide with no cover, so its understandable.

I think he knuckled down well, stretched out to the line well, his best furlong was his last one and I think he needs further.

He could run in a handicap next, like Logician on his 3rd run, after a debut at Newbury then a Novice at Newmarket.

Darain is one run short of Logician (Voltigeur was his 4th start) due to the shortened season, so its a bit tight for the Leger, but the owner didn't spend £3M+ to win peanuts, so if he won his next start well then it could happen.

I think what would be pretty clear, is if he was declared in a 10F race next time out then he isnt going to the Leger.

If he went into a Handicap, Listed or Group 3 over 12F next time then it would be more likely to point to a possible Leger run. (Logician did 10F, 10F, 12F Handicap off OR 90, and bolted in, his three RPRs in those races were 91, 93, 109).

I think Gosden also won with Palace Pier in a Group 1, last month, after a Maiden-Novice-Handicap 3 race prep.
                      Palace Pier's three RPRs pre Group 1, were 91-96-110.
                      The big step up in form 3rd time out bought him the Group 1 ticket.

Darain's debut was also an RPR of 91, todays race rating may be similar. If he is to go Group 1 St Leger on his 4th run then a win next time out, over 12F rated 105+ would probably be required.

Almighwar looks like Gosdens other horse with a similar profile, though he's won twice over 12F.
                      Makes plenty of sense.

Comment

A couple of bits from AOB this morning....

Russian Emperor
                        has been sold to Hong Kong.

Derby Winner, Serpentine, being aimed at a race in France the day after the St Leger!

If they don't run Love, which we aren't really expecting, they must really like current fav Santiago ? Best price 5/2.

Comment

Half tempted to take a stab at Mogul at 25/1, only 12's with PP

Comment

Maybe AOB and the boys might take another look at the St Leger, for LOVE, after Enable's romp today, and likely next run in the Yorkshire Oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                              Maybe AOB and the boys might take another look at the St Leger, for LOVE, after Enable's romp today, and likely next run in the Yorkshire Oaks.
                              Certainly crossed my mind too .

Did decided to take a chance on Mogul at that price too, just because I respect the PP traders. Obviously they could be mugging me off as Sky are standout, but let's see.
                              Last edited by Kevloaf; 25 July 2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                Certainly crossed my mind too .

Did decided to take a chance on Mogul at that price too, just because I respect the PP traders. Obviously they could be mugging me off as Sky are standout, but let's see.

There's probably some value to be found yet in the St Leger market.

AOBs horses have such fluid arrangements, and other trainers horses are mostly being ignored in the market.

If Santiago bombs out at Goodwood, the whole betting market cracks open, but if he wins well then he goes odds on for the St Leger.

Comment

Working...
                                X