Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Royal Ascot 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An absolutely brilliant day yesterday has made up for a couple of disappointing days before as the two bigger bets of the day both landed in style on day three of Ascot. First, Shang Shang Shang made all to win by a flared nostril for me at 6/1 antepost before Stradivarius won the Gold Cup. A really great day of punting when the right two win.

2:30 – Albany Stakes (Group 3)
    Fairyland looked a good bet for this antepost and I actually backed her at 7/2 for the race. However, the vibes weren’t great in the last few days so I cashed out. Ryan Moore has deserted her for a once raced filly who has also been well backed. That filly, JUST WONDERFUL (9/4 NAP), must surely be working well at home. She was a rare debut winner impressively for Aiden O’Brien and could be anything. If she shows the natural progression here, she should go very close and would be hard to beat. Main Edition looked good at Windsor and then Goodwood last time and will run her race. Of those at a bigger price, Pretty Pollyanna is a massive price at 50/1 as she is very well regarded at home and scorched home at 14/1 on her only start. If she improves, she could run onto a place. I may yet back her each way.

3:05 – King Edward VII Stakes (Group 2)
    I took the 3/1 last night on DELANO ROOSEVELT (3/1) as surely he will be backed here? He’s been screaming out for a step up in trip and relished that in the Derby for sixth. This is known as the Ascot Derby and it would be a major shock to me if he doesn’t go very close. I can envisage the money coming for him here and he goes off 13/8 favourite. Raa Atoll looked useful last time in a decent novice race but this is a major step up in class. Old Persian is a hardy performer but he may lack the class of a couple here whilst Wells Farhh Go is talented but is a frustrating type based on his run in the Dante last time. He could go well each way.

3:40 – Commonwealth Cup (Group 1)
    Sioux Nation represents a good yard here and has been well backed in the last week for this which is an eye-opener. EQUILATERAL (4/1) takes centre stage today and is expected to prove himself as a superstar by connections. They’ve been very bullish in the run-up to this race and I think it is probably a substandard renewal of the race. He ran too bad to be true at York at the end of last season as though something was amiss but trounced a good field by eight lengths with incredible sectionals at the end of the race. Calyx and Without Parole both came into their races this week facing a major step up in class after brilliant sectionals in previous runs. Equilateral fits that mold and is the horse in this field that could be truly brilliant. I backed Heartache for this last season at 17/1 but he’s disappointed since though did win at this meeting last year. Invincible Army and Sands of Mali are pretty closely matched though the former is more consistent and has won over course and distance.

4:20 - Coronation Stakes (Group 1)
    Many thought this was one of the best races of the week with three 1000 Guineas winners taking each other on. The Newmarket version was won in style by 66/1 shot Billesdon Brook and that form is rock solid. She’s clearly suited to this ground but I will oppose her here as the race seemed to be run to suit her that day and won’t get that again here. Alpha Centauri gets her ground and will try to repeat her Irish Guineas win when beating last year’s champion juvenile filly Clemie. The latter was antepost Guineas favourite before missing that race and will improve for that reappearance at the Curragh. I’ve played two in this with TEPPAL (15/2) and VERACIOUS (10/1). The former won the French Guineas and keeps improving. She is in against better rivals today but keeps on winning and is surely overpriced whilst Veracious is very well regarded. I was on at big prices for her in the 1000 Guineas after watching her win a maiden at Newmarket last season before she was backed into second favourite and then suffering a setback. If she is back fully fit, she could go well in an open contest.

5:00 – Sandingham Handicap
    Agrotera has been backed down to just 9/2 for this overnight and the roars at the track will go up if she hits the front with the money down. She looks to be very well handicapped but this is a tough task even with 8st 7lb and she will need luck in running to find the gaps. Desert Diamond goes looking for a hat trick but will need a career best. Ganayem looks overpriced whilst hence represents Aiden O’Brien which is always worth second look. The selection instead goes to QAZYNA (10/1) who bet two subsequent winners on her seasonal debut in impressive fashion. She then finished third to Lah Ti Dar when failing to stay the step up to 1m 2f which is very good form. She will run a massive race if replicating either of her two runs this season and looks to be the value play.

5:35 – Duke Of Edinburgh Stakes Handicap
    Thundering Blue did me a turn last time at York and will be rattling home if getting the gaps. Eynhallow is consistent but may need to find more against this field whilst Count Calabash is fancied by connections in his hat trick bid. Selection for the wide open last instead goes to my big Epsom winner DASH OF SPICE (9/2). The David Elsworth horse had high quality form behind Ajman King before bolting up himself by six lengths at Epsom. He screams ‘Group horse in a handicap’ and can take this before going on to bigger things.

Bets:
    2:30 - JUST WONDERFUL (9/4 NAP)
    3:05 – DELANO ROOSEVELT 3/1
    3:40 – EQUILATERAL 4/1
    4:20 – TEPPAL 15/2 & VERACIOUS 10/1
    5:00 – QAZYNA 10/1
    5:35 – DASH OF SPICE 9/2

Comment

• Well done MoM.

Sir Chauvelin couldn't get out at a vital time but not sure it would have made a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        Another poor day. Not many strong fancies tomorrow.

Friday
        3:40 2pt Sioux Nation 6/1
        1pt Main Desire 20/1

4:20 1pt ew Threading 20/1

5:00 2pt ew Agrotera 10/1
        1pt ew Perfection 16/1

5:35 1pt ew Sir Chauvelin 66/1
        1pt Count Calabash 10/1
        That is more like it

Comment

That is more like it
          Agrotera 10/1 a FM (and a HT) 2 pointer...wonderful stuff

Comment

That is more like it
            Superb day again FM, the Ascot master!

My week is nowhere near as good as yours my friend as I've only had two winners this week. (Settle For Bay 16/1 and Agrotera at 10/1)

Staked £998 so far and I'm £48 down with £114 still open.

Strongest fancy of the week was Fairyland today

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhinestone_Cowboy View Post
              Agrotera 10/1 a FM (and a HT) 2 pointer...wonderful stuff
              Backed up by Andy Holding napping it today as well ... Maybe FM is HT?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                haha...yeah noticed Andy Holding also tipped him (always a good sign), looks like the bookies seriously got the price wrong with that one judging by the way it won. Have read a lot of HT analysis over the years and it was clear that he was really very keen on it, and if he tipped more than 2 points then that would likely be one. Thankfully had a good bet at 11 and 10s and then laid off less than I normally would after reading the analysis. Happy days

Comment

I wish!!

Can anyone put me off Dreamfield in the Wokingham? I honestly can't see him being beat (which will probably sound stupid in the near 30 runner race) and I'm considering a max bet.

Comment

• Certainly sounds that way Faugheen , I'd have reservations myself , just the way the week has gone , been a few good things
                    turned over this week., but then i talked myself out of backing Agrotera today !

Comment

• It's all about one horse tomorrow.

Saturday
                      2:30 1pt Cardini 8/1

4:20 2.5pt Redkirk Warrior 4/1
                      1pt ew Librisa Breeze 11/1

5:00 *10pts Dreamfield ave 4.2/1 - topped up with 4/1 this morning. This is going to go off v short. I'd guess it'll be 2/1 at the off.
                      *0.75pt ew Tis Marvelous 35/1 - forgot about this ante post

5:35 1.5pt ew Fun Mac 16/1
                      Last edited by Faugheen_Machine; 23 June 2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• I fancy Growl foe the Wokingham. Can see the reasons behind backing the fav but 4/1 in 27 runner fields just isn't my style

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanh97 View Post
                          I fancy Growl foe the Wokingham. Can see the reasons behind backing the fav but 4/1 in 27 runner fields just isn't my style
                          Handicapped well off his best form isn't he.

You can make a case for at least half the field though

Comment

It's all about one horse tomorrow.

Saturday
                            2:30 1pt Cardini 8/1

4:20 2.5pt Redkirk Warrior 4/1
                            1pt ew Librisa Breeze 11/1

5:00 8.5pts Dreamfield ave 4.25/1

5:35 1.5pt ew Fun Mac 16/1
                            I can't get away from the fav in the first. One of the only horses I made the effort to make notes on this flat season.
                            Considering doubling it with Crystal Ocean

I am looking forward to seeing Redkirk Warrior as well.

Dreamfield I'll have a look at best morning price.

Comment

Handicapped well off his best form isn't he.

You can make a case for at least half the field though
                              CD winner and 7lb lower than Stewards Cup 4th. Great e/w price I think

Comment

• Very difficult to make selections today , so many looking to have a chance , But for what it's worth ....
                                1. - Natalies joy - 2-30.
                                2. - Crystal ocean - 3-05.
                                3. - Junius brutus - 3-40.
                                4. - Merchant navy - 4-20.
                                5. - Dreamfield. - 5-00.
                                Plus a couple of other L.15's .Carribean island if one of those comes in !.

Comment

Working...
                                X