Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Champion Bumper 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham Champion Bumper 2013

THE WEATHERBYS CHAMPION BUMPER 2013 entries

Grade 1, Class 1, £60,000 total prize fund. 5.15pm, Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 2m. 110yds.
    Form Horse Age Owner Trainer

22 A TWIST OF FATE (IRE) 6 Claire Simpson Claire Simpson IRE
    1 BALLY RONE (IRE) 5 A J Rhead Rebecca Curtis
    2212 BE BOP BORU (IRE) 6 The Oak Syndicate Tim Vaughan
    221 BLACKMAIL (FR) 5 John Breslin Tony Martin IRE
    1 BOB TUCKER (IRE) 6 Nigel Davies Brendan Powell
    1 BRIAR HILL (IRE) 5 Andrea & Graham Wylie Willie Mullins IRE
    CADDELLS ROW 5 Alan Lamont Karen McLintock
    123 CALEDONIA 6 Lorimer Racing Jim Goldie
    11 CENTASIA 6 Roger Brookhouse David Pipe
    1 CLONDAW COURT (IRE) 6 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
    1 DIAMOND KING (IRE) 5 Diana Whateley Donald McCain
    11 DOCTOR HARPER (IRE) 5 David Johnson David Pipe
    1 DRUMLEE (IRE) 5 J P McManus Charlie Swan IRE
    1 EMPIRACLE (IRE) 6 The Town & Country Partnership Jeremy Scott
    FAMOUSANDFEARLESS (IRE) 5 The Bravo Partnership David Pipe
    1-4 FASCINO RUSTICO 5 John Hales Paul Nicholls
    1 GALLANT TIPP (IRE) 5 Mrs Edward O'Grady Edward O'Grady IRE
    1 GOLANTILLA (IRE) 5 Barry Connell Tony Martin IRE
    1 GRECIAN TIGER (IRE) 4 Joseph Higgins Dermot Weld IRE
    11 HELLORBOSTON (IRE) 5 Thomson Fyffe Racing Donald McCain
    1(5) I'M FRAAM GOVAN 5 Sir Alex Ferguson George Baker
    1 JOHNNY OG 4 T Hanlon M Boothright S Hanlon N Martin Martin Keighley
    22 KAYF MOSS 5 L H & Mrs T Evans John Flint
    5(2)(2) LADY LECTRA 4 Robert Quinn John Flint
    1 LE VENT D'ANTAN (FR) 4 Goliath Syndicate Liz Doyle IRE
    1 MILO MAN (IRE) 5 William & Angela Rucker Evan Williams
    142 MISTER NIBBLES (IRE) 5 David Gordon Roberts Stuart Crawford IRE
    120 MONKEY KINGDOM 5 Gearoid Costelloe Rebecca Curtis
    1 MOYLE PARK (IRE) 5 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE
    333- OFF THE WALL (IRE) 6 Malcolm Denmark David Pipe
    211 OSCAR ROCK (IRE) 5 Mr & Mrs G Calder Harry Fry
    0/-31 OUR POLLYANNA (IRE) 6 The Dunkley & Reilly Partnership Alan King
    0-012 POSIDEN SEA (FR) 5 Thistle Bloodstock Limited Dessie Hughes IRE
    14 PURE SCIENCE (IRE) 5 Raymond Mould Nigel Twiston-Davies
    1 PURPLE BAY (IRE) 4 Bloomfields John Ferguson
    1 RATHVAWN BELLE (IRE) 6 J M Barcoe Dick Donohoe IRE
    (1)-1 REGAL ENCORE (IRE) 5 John McManus Anthony Honeyball
    1(1) SGT RECKLESS 6 Camilla Radford Mick Channon
    4 SHIELD (IRE) 4 Annemarie O'Brien Aidan O'Brien IRE
    16 SHIPTON 4 Nigel Davies Brendan Powell
    4-11 SIZING TENNESSEE (IRE) 5 Ann & Alan Potts Partnership Willie Mullins IRE
    TASRIH (USA) 4 Bloomfields John Ferguson
    2 THE CLOCK LEARY (IRE) 5 A Brooks Venetia Williams
    2-21 THE LIQUIDATOR 5 Roger Brookhouse David Pipe
    11 UNION DUES (FR) 5 Allan McLuckie Willie Mullins IRE
    1 UNOWHATIMEANHARRY 5 Miss S J Hartley Helen Nelmes
    111 VIEUX LION ROUGE (FR) 4 Prof Caroline Tisdall & John Gent David Pipe
    1122 VINSTAR (FR) 4 Tim Leslie Donald McCain
    WESTERN COMMANDER (IRE) 6 Gearoid Costelloe Rebecca Curtis
    2 WILLPOWER (IRE) 4 Alan Spence Mark Johnston
    1 YES SIR BRIAN (IRE) 4 Thomas C O'Neill Garrett Power IRE
    51 entries
    17 Irish-trained

----------------------------------------------------
    Few newbies on the notebook section. Scott horse sounds interesting.

What has Ferguson this year ?

New one from Ireland yesterday

Golantilla burst into the Weatherbys Champion Bumper picture by taking the McCarthy Insurance Group-sponsored bumper in tremendous style to complete a quick double for Kilworth trainer Sean O’Brien.

The five-year-old son of Golan looked a useful sort when successful on his point-to-point debut at Avaune last month, and confirmed that potential with a runaway success here.

The 7/4 favourite drew right away from over a furlong out under Ciaran Fennessy to beat Overbury Prince (9/1) by 13 lengths, with Nouveau Moulin (50/1) another length away in third.

A delighted O’Brien said, “He was making a genuine £180,000 at the Brightwell sales but we weren’t selling him for any less than his reserve of £200,000.

“He’s an absolute machine. We have a tough gallop at home and any of my other horses can’t get anywhere near him on the two furlongs straight.

“There have been more offers for him since the sales but he’s not so cheap now. He’s a horse that’s in a different league. We’ll go to Naas or Fairyhouse for a winners’ bumper and then straight to Cheltenham.”

Stan James have introduced the winner at 16/1 for the Cheltenham Festival Bumper.
    Last edited by Lester; 27 February 2013, 11:12 AM.

Impressive bumper winner Golantilla sold for €375,000

By Pat Keane

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Golantilla, who made a huge impression when taking a bumper at Cork last Saturday, has been bought by Barry Connell for €375,000.

The five-year-old was trained by Sean O’Brien at Kilworth for his mother, Eileen, but will now move to Tony Martin.

Successful in his only point-to-point at Avaune, Dungourney, Golantilla went off a well-backed 7-4 favourite at Cork and exploded clear in the straight to score by 13 lengths.

Speaking yesterday afternoon, O’Brien confirmed that a deal had been done with Connell, a stockbroker and former amateur rider, who is now one of the major owners of National Hunt horses in this country.

Said O’Brien: "We got what we asked for from Barry and had to let the horse go at that price.

"Everything has a value and we had to sell. We have a lot of young stock around the farm here and the next generation has to be paid for.

"My mother deserves this and I am delighted for her. The deal is subject to the horse passing the vet in the morning, but I don’t see any reason why that won’t happen.

"He’s very sound and came out of Cork one hundred per cent. Tony rang me straight after the race on Saturday and just wanted him. My hope is that he will win a Gold Cup for Barry."

Golantilla went to Brightwells sale at Cheltenham last month, but was led out unsold at £190,000.

It was on the back of just the single win in a point-to-point, but so impressive was he in the bumper that inevitably it was going to take more than that to buy him.

Among Connell’s best-known horses at the moment are Minsk, Mount Benbulben, Western Leader and Mumbo Jumbo.

Golantilla is currently around a 12-1 shot for the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham, which sees him near the top of the market.

Comment

David Pipe is considering a tilt at the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham with the unbeaten Vieux Lion Rouge.

The French-bred four-year-old was a 14-length winner at Ffos Las on his debut and followed up at Newbury last time out.

He is related to Marcel, who Pipe’s father Martin enjoyed great success with in the 2004-05 season, winning nine races including the Tolworth Hurdle.

"Vieux Lion Rouge is a most promising young horse and he extended his record to two wins from two starts with a courageous performance in the bumper at Newbury," Pipe wrote in his blog on www.davidpipe.com.

"Bought from the Arqana sales in July for what is beginning to look like a very reasonable €42,000, I will certainly be considering a crack at the Cheltenham Festival bumper with him.

"He comes from an excellent family – his dam was a half-sister to a multiple winner we had at the yard, Marcel.

"Indeed, we have a very nice crop of youngsters coming through, including several bumper winners and he would be right up there with the best of them."

Comment

Timeform Ratings

NH FLAT HORSES
        121 DEFY LOGIC
        118p CLONDAW COURT
        118 ANONIS
        116p CAPTAIN CUTTER
        116p REGAL ENCORE
        115 THE MIGHTY MILAN
        114 KINGS PALACE
        113p GOLANTILA
        112p UNION DUES
        112+ URUBU D'IRLANDE
        111p OUTLANDER
        111 MONKEY KINGDOM
        111 OSCAR ROCK
        111 THE LIQUIDATOR
        110p SIZING TENNESSEE
        110+ OSCAR HOOF
        110 GONE TOO FAR
        109p KILLYGLASS
        109+ OWEN MC
        109 BOUILLABAISSE
        109 VIEUX LION ROUGE

Comment

Sizing Tennessee produced a smart front-running performance to take the concluding bumper at Gowran Park this afternoon.

Patrick Mullins had the 2/5 hotpot at the head of affairs throughout and he pulled clear in the closing stages in impression fashion for a three-and-three-quarter length win.

All five runners were in contention turning for home in a tactical affair but one-by-one they failed to live with the favourite.

Mullins asked his mount for an effort over a furlong out and he was really starting to motor in the closing stages.

The winner had scored in similar style at Punchestown last month and Cheltenham is now on the cards for the Robin Des Champs gelding.

It was a first and last race double for Willie Mullins, having landed the opener with Dogora, and he said afterwards:-

“Patrick was very impressed with him because they slowed down a fair bit. He's a galloper but he was still able to win in a sprint finish. It hasn't diminished his thoughts of him.

“If he won here we said we'd go to Cheltenham. I'll speak to the owners but I don't think plans will change. A better gallop over there would suit him more.”

Comment

Champion Bumper next up for D'Antan

Mon 28th Jan 2013, 15:27

Le Vent D'Antan on his way to victory at Leopardstown on Sunday
            (© Healy Racing Photos) Impressive weekend winner Le Vent D'Antan is set to head straight to the Weatherbys Champion Bumper via a racecourse gallop.
            The biggest question over the four-year-old, who bolted up on his debut at Leopardstown as a 7/4 favourite, is whether he will still be in the care of Liz Doyle, but there is no news of a transfer just yet.

Wexford trainer Doyle brought through the ranks both 2011 Bumper star Cheltenian and Al Ferof, who took that year's Supreme and has become a high-class chaser, before they moved to Britain.

"There have been a lot of enquiries, nothing has happened at the minute, but the syndicate who own him are based in London and I imagine they will be talking about it," Doyle said.

"I don't know if they want to sell, I hope he stays with us, but it's up to them what they want to do."

Le Vent D'Antan, whose grandmother is the great racemare Pebbles, is currently a general 12/1 for Festival glory.

Doyle said: "He has done very well since the race, we've had no problems with him at all, and he'll probably have a racecourse gallop now. It might be at Leopardstown, depending on the ground, but he'll have a day away somewhere and won't have another race before Cheltenham.

"It's a long six weeks, but that's the plan. He's a gorgeous horse, when you see him you go 'wow, what's that?'."

Comment

Golantilla (7), Empiracle (8), Clondaw Court (10), Le Vent DAntan (steamer10), Union Dues (12), Brave Hearted (16), Regal Encore (16), Urubu DIrlande (16), Azorian (20), Diamond King (20), Kings Palace (20), Lurcher (20), Moyle Park (20), Oscar Rock (20), Purple Bay (20), Sgt Reckless (20), The Skyfarmer (20), Benemeade (25), Blackmail (25), Briar Hill (25

Comment

Gary Nutting on ATR is best tipster over there. Union Dues is his pick...

Stablemate UNION DUES has provided more answers in this respect and, available at slightly bigger odds, gets a tentative vote in a race that is hard to assess with any confidence.

The five-year-old has won both his starts in the style of an above-average prospect, and on very different ground too, kicking off with a defeat of 15 opponents at Killarney in the summer.

The form of that race is probably best judged through the third Sizing Jo'Burg, who was beaten comfortably despite having the benefit of a previous run.

That horse went on to finish eighth in a Cheltenham bumper in October before scoring easily on his hurdles debut at Downpatrick.

The five-year-old has won both his starts in the style of an above-average prospect, and on very different ground too.

Although out of his depth behind my Neptune selection Rule The World in a Grade 2 at Naas on his only subsequent outing, Sizing Jo'Burg has still demonstrated a sufficient level of ability to suggest that Union Dues is probably pretty smart.

That's certainly the way it looked when he beat four previous winners in a Grade 2 bumper at Navan in December, this time on heavy ground.

Comment

Willie Mullins is responsible for five of the 51 entries in the Weatherbys Champion Bumper at Cheltenham on March 13.

Mullins has an incredible record in the race, having won it seven times already, as well as riding Whither Or Which, whom he also trained, to victory in 1996.

This year he can choose from Briar Hill, Clondaw Court, Moyle Park, Sizing Tennessee and Union Dues.

Other major Irish contenders from a 17-strong squad include the Tony Martin duo of Golantilla and Blackmail, the Liz Doyle-trained Le Vent D'Antan and Aidan O'Brien's Shield, who was only fourth on debut.

The home team is headed by Empiracle, Doctor Harper and Sgt Reckless.

Evan Williams has entered the once-raced Milo Man but has still not decided if the race is firmly on his agenda.

"We had to enter Milo Man because he obviously won so well at Taunton and has come out of the race incredibly well," said Williams.

"I'm not going to say he will definitely run because we would want to see some cut in the ground, but we are training him for the race and we will have to see what the weather does between now and then.

"He is a horse I have the utmost confidence in and I think he is a very nice horse but whether he is a bumper horse, I don't know.

"Whatever he does, as long as he is a lucky horse, he could win a very nice race one day."

Comment

Kevin Blake ‏@kevinblake2011

Liz Doyle has said that Le Vent D'Antan works as well as Cheltenian did when she had him

Comment

Exclusive interview with trainer Liz Doyle

1 Mar 2013

By Kevin Walsh

Ah that Cheltenham dream! Every trainer and owner whether young or old still harbors that aged old dream. A horse good enough to run at National Hunts showpiece event. When the dreamers first set eyes on their new recruit, whether they are foals, yearlings or anything else the first thought is always invariably the same. This could be the one!

This could be the one. A statement made by many but unfortunately a statement that doesn’t come through very often. More often than not, the horse that could have been the one ends up back in his box having pulled up in an average Point to Point on a rain sodden Sunday in the middle of nowhere.

One woman who is proving an exception to the rule in recent years is Co. Wexford trainer Liz Doyle. The former 4 time leading Lady Point to Point rider has been setting tongues wagging in recent years with her ability to uncover future stars. Especially when it comes to Cheltenham runners. Doyle seems to have a special ability when it comes to sourcing Cheltenham horses, particularly when it comes to Champion Bumper horses. In the last few years Al Ferof, 2nd in the 2010 Champion Bumper and Cheltenian, winner of the Champion Bumper in 2011 have came through the capable hands of Doyle. An amazing achievement for a relatively small yard.

What is even more amazing is that she has done it again. La Vent D’Antan is the latest potential star to come off of the yards conveyor belt and this year Doyle will have her name beside her charge on the Champion Bumper card for the first time.

This week I went to speak with the woman herself to get the story of her new superstar.

After the pleasantries have been exchanged, the obligatory question in all Irish homes comes to the fore. Tea? As I take my seat at the kitchen table a steaming cup of tea and a plate of biscuits are laid in front of me. We are also joined at this stage by one of the many small dogs in the yard, who perches himself on my knee for the remainder of the interview. Perched on Liz’s knee is her youngest son who has just awoken from Cheltenham dreams of his own and has proceeded to nick all my biscuits!

“Your not getting any of them!”, Liz laughs, before starting to tell me of how they came to have another future star in the yard.

“We bought him in October 2010 as a yearling in France. We spotted his pedigree in the catalogue, had a look at him on the internet and Barry’s brother in law was at the sales and went to look at him.” The Barry in question is Liz’s partner and the son of legendary trainer Ferdy Murphy.

She continued: ”We brought him home, broke him as a 2 year old and let him off for the summer before doing a bit more with him and letting him off again as a 3 year old. During that winter we sold him to a syndicate which was put together by my sister in London. They wanted something that was good enough to go to Cheltenham. That’s something that everyone asks. Have you something good enough to go to Cheltenham and of course you always say oh yes!”, she laughs. “But it doesn’t always work like that.”

I go on to ask Liz, how quick did she realise the potential of La Vent D’Antan?

“When we did more work with him as a 3 year old he was doing everything very easily. Everything we asked him to do was easy for him. His fast work was always very good. Mentally and physically he has accepted everything and just thought life was wonderful! He has a wonderful temperament He is very laid back. A bit sleepy which is brilliant for a young horse. He is very easy to train.”

Asked for a comparison between her former stars and her current one, Liz says that La Vent D’Antan would be more similar to Cheltenian:

“It’s hard to compare horses 3 or 4 years apart but he would compare quite closely with Cheltenian in attitude. He is the same type of horse as him as Al Ferof was more relaxed and more of a staying type.”

Turning her attention to the race in hand, Doyle describes her travel plans and potential dangers in the contest:

“We will probably go over on the Monday morning. That will give us 48 hours before race time. There is no need to go any earlier. I don’t think the travelling will take anything out of him. He traveled over from France as a yearling so that should stand to him.”

She continued: ”We know he handles soft ground after his win in Leopardstown, so it will be nice to go there without any worries about the ground. So if it was soft or softer we wouldn’t worry.” ”Mikey Fogarty rode him in his schooling races and in Leopardstown and the plan is that he will ride him in Cheltenham too.”

“I think Tony Martin’s horse is a danger in the race. He has done nothing wrong and won his point to point and bumper very easily. He is very highly regarded as well. I think Willie Mullins’ best one will be Clondaw Court, who has been kept for the Champion Bumper.”

Doyle finished off by telling me about another few nice youngsters she has in her posession:

“We bought a yearling by the same sire as La Vent D’Antan (Martaline) 3 weeks ago. He is a half brother to two black type winners. He has a lovely pedigree. We paid a bit for him but he is really nice and is a half brother to two black type winners, so in two years time we hope he wont be expensive.”

“We also have a nice Shantou who is closely related to Captain Chris which we like a lot. He might and he might not be out this year. Probably after the summer as he is only four and is quite big.”

So before this years Cheltenham Festival has even begun, the search has already started for the next big thing. Its a dream that will never die and although Doyle has made the dream come through on an incredible three occasions she continues the search none the less.

Comment

Clondaw Court to miss the Cheltenham bumper with a hind quarter problem. In Willie Mullins Racing Post column."

Comment

Our stats...http://www.fatjockey.com/cheltenham-...mper-Stats-140

Comment

Dual Newbury Bumper winner Oscar Rock will miss the Cheltenham Festival. 'Exciting prospect for next season,' says Harry Fry

Comment

Keeping away from the bigger stables and the major races, Sgt Reckless is reckoned to have a good chance in the Champion Bumper despite the ground having gone slightly against him.

He kicked some of Mick Channon's Flat team - including a Lincoln Handicap contender - into touch with embarrassing ease, prompting the booking of Richard Hughes.

Connections had initially toyed with going straight over hurdles for the Supreme Novices' Hurdle after his most recent success, before a change of heart saw them decide to stick to bumper company for the time being.

But the high opinion of Henrietta Knight, who effectively remains in charge of the horse at Channon's stable, looks entirely justified based upon that last piece of work.

Comment

Working...
                              X