Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

April ‘24 Yankee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by somer1 View Post

Overreach. Me West Country Cousin.
    Another one, how unlucky. That's what kept him out of Cheltenham as well.

Comment

Monty's Star - Gold Cup is a lovely EW price - 33/1 in some places.

Lightly raced, improving horse with the right connections - can only see him going Gold Cup (with a chance).

Unless Willie has the 1-2-3-4-5, which at this stage is not beyond the realms of possibility - surely he'll be involved at the business end.

Comment

Originally posted by RufusFlynn View Post
        Monty's Star - Gold Cup is a lovely EW price - 33/1 in some places.

Lightly raced, improving horse with the right connections - can only see him going Gold Cup (with a chance).

Unless Willie has the 1-2-3-4-5, which at this stage is not beyond the realms of possibility - surely he'll be involved at the business end.
        I agree, and thanks for the heads up regarding the price, I missed this, so just cashed my 20's ticket and re-backed at a slightly boosted 35/1

I actually wasn't keen on him for the BANC, as some on here may remember, I thought he'd benefit for the run with a view to next season, but he certainly showed plenty of improvement.

Comment

Brighterdaysahead is only a 5yo so don't think there will be any hurry getting her over fences. She has been quite green this year so another year over hurdles would do her good. Mares Hurdle looks an obvious target for her so it would surprise me if she did go chasing. Can see the appeal of Dysart Enos but she has yet to race over hurdles in graded company. Considered a quick mare who may not want the ground too testing, especially over the 2 1/2m trip of the Mares hurdle. I would rather take a shorter price when she has proven herself more.

Jonbon is one worth adding to multiples for Cheltenham, though restricted by price on who to get on with. William Hill cut the 8/1 to 6/1 for the Ryanair yesterday though the price is still fair. Is 4/1 in most places however. Protektorat got a 170 RPR for his run at Cheltenham and Aintree, giving Jonbon a 172. Surely the aim next year will be the Ryanair for Jonbon and having already beaten the winner getting an RPR higher than achieved in the Ryanair then he would have a fabulous chance, albeit we don't know who will show up from the Mullins yard. Reluctant to fancy Gaelic Warrior over 2 1/2m as he was considered to have jumped straighter as he got a lead, which would be unlikely over 2 1/2m knowing how quick the horse is. Il Etat Temps doesn't seem at his best at Cheltenham. Plenty of others are ageing now and past their best.

Comment

Can’t see Monty’s winning a gold cup, maybe one for the grand national next year or the year after.

Note of caution re fact to file, he wasn’t given any entries at punchestown today. I’ve no idea if he’s picked up an injury or just gone on his summer holidays early but I’d be tempted to wait on him now as his odds won’t shorten much over the summer if he isn’t running before the end of the season and reevaluate when any more info is known.

Comment

Risky one Jonbon for the Ryanair. Not only could he step back down in trip for the Champion Chase or up again in trip for the GC, he has also suffered his only three defeats of his life all at Cheltenham. Perhaps the course just doesn't quite float his boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Runragged View Post
                Brighterdaysahead is only a 5yo so don't think there will be any hurry getting her over fences. She has been quite green this year so another year over hurdles would do her good.
                I agree with you about Brighterdaysahead looking immature but Gordon did suggest he was going to speak with the owners about novice chasing next season so maybe wait until more news trickles through before adding her to one of the monthly yankees??

The Irish trainer rates Brighterdaysahead highly and was pleased after she bounced back from second place at Cheltenham to claim Grade One glory at Aintree

​​​

Comment

I'd be surprised if Brighterdaysahead stays hurdling. In my eyes, she's matured with each run and lto, was an easy ride, jumped well and showed no signs of greenness. It's not as if she's a 4yo who has had few runs. She's had 7 runs, will mature more over the summer and if Gordon and Gigginstown really think she is up there with the best they have had, I think they will send her straight over fences. The Mares chase and then Gold Cup imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                    Risky one Jonbon for the Ryanair. Not only could he step back down in trip for the Champion Chase or up again in trip for the GC, he has also suffered his only three defeats of his life all at Cheltenham. Perhaps the course just doesn't quite float his boat.
                    I think there is more chance of him stepping up for the Gold Cup now than dropping back to the Champion Chase. Just recorded his best RPR at 2 1/2m beating the winner of the Ryanair in the process. We are talking Nicky Henderson though so who knows how he will be campaigned. Surely he should be leaving 2m behind though after a career best.

Course would be a small niggle for me. He's not run badly in any of his runs at the course and was maybe finding things happening too quick for him in the Clarence House on the good to soft ground.

Comment

Another one, how unlucky. That's what kept him out of Cheltenham as well.
                      Sorry Dude. Read the question as what kept DE out of Cheltenham? I fucked up lol.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungHustler View Post
                        I'd be surprised if Brighterdaysahead stays hurdling. In my eyes, she's matured with each run and lto, was an easy ride, jumped well and showed no signs of greenness. It's not as if she's a 4yo who has had few runs. She's had 7 runs, will mature more over the summer and if Gordon and Gigginstown really think she is up there with the best they have had, I think they will send her straight over fences. The Mares chase and then Gold Cup imo.
                        Turners I reckon. That 16s won't be around forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy23 View Post

Turners I reckon. That 16s won't be around forever.
                          I'm surprised it's lasted this long, already a hint that they could be looking to go over fences with her, she's already been against the boys (and give them a good thrashing too), I'd have it highly unlikely Gordon sticks to Mares race with her next season.

Comment

Originally posted by darlojim View Post

I'm surprised it's lasted this long, already a hint that they could be looking to go over fences with her, she's already been against the boys (and give them a good thrashing too), I'd have it highly unlikely Gordon sticks to Mares race with her next season.
                            Same. Backed her for the Turners before Aintree. Which in hindsight was a poor bet when she's available at 16s after. So I've gone in again...

Comment

Is she an Apples Jade or a Shattered Love.....

Too hard to call.

Comment

Is she an Apples Jade or a Shattered Love.....

Too hard to call.
                                She'll trump them both

Comment

Working...
                                X