Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltz Fest 2021 Behind Closed Doors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
    I can just imagine it. A little old lady walking her dog loose on Cleeve Hill on the 16th March stumbling across Quevega on his picnic blanket................

Little Old Lady: "Come here Shep. Stop nibbling on that poor mans Scotch Eggs"?

Quevega: "Oh it's alright madam, I ate them an hour ago"!
    Brilliant

Comment

On the Cheltenham Annual Members Zoom Call this evening.

They have 8000 Annual Members, with around 1200/1500 of those being "Non-Festival" members, and 6500/6800 Full Members including the Festival.

They dont know how many are going to renew this year.

They have agreed to let Annual Members have a year off their membership, and come back in a years time, and not pay the additional new members fee.

They hope that in October to be allowed to have crowds, but these may be 5,000 max (Annual Members in the majority, they will need to apply to attend, if numbers are restricted, those that don't/can't would get a part-refund on their members badges).

If possible they would like to sell some tickets to the gen-pop from November onwards, if they are allowed more people on-course.
      They currently hope that by November that all members could attend that meeting (c8000).

They confirm that everything could be withdrawn at a moments notice by the Government restrictions changing for Horse Racing or for Cheltenham locally.
      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post
        Cheers Ista.
        I'll take a windbreaker.
        And a driving Iron.
        Hopefully that's the Only Iron you see on Cleeve hill in your Nakedness !!.

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

They have 8000 Annual Members, with around 1200/1500 of those being "Non-Festival" members, and 6500/6800 Full Members including the Festival.

They have agreed to let Annual Members have a year off their membership, and come back in a years time, and not pay the additional new members fee.

They hope that in October to be allowed to have crowds, but these may be 5,000 max (Annual Members in the majority, they will need to apply to attend, if numbers are restricted, those that don't/can't would get a part-refund on their members badges).

If possible they would like to sell some tickets to the gen-pop from November onwards, if they are allowed more people on-course.
          They currently hope that by November that all members could attend that meeting (c8000).

They confirm that everything could be withdrawn at a moments notice by the Government restrictions changing for Horse Racing or for Cheltenham locally.
          Thanks Saxon. Sounds promising. Hopefully October meeting goes by without any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

I completely forgot about this last night SW. What was the general mood like from Members? That's they've done all they can? Did anyone ask about the fact that they've ignored the missed meetings from last year after promising to communicate, and have this year increased the fee?
            Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

I completely forgot about this last night SW. What was the general mood like from Members? That's they've done all they can? Did anyone ask about the fact that they've ignored the missed meetings from last year after promising to communicate, and have this year increased the fee?
              Ian Renton took us through what a raceday currently would look like, and his hopes for members to be allowed on course from October in restricted numbers, if the pilot-events at sports stadiums went well in September.

He was at pains to say Cheltenham would be particularly scrutinised after it was attacked for staying racing through the Festival.

No-one would get on track without completing a health questionnaire, the same as currently happens with jockeys, trainers, owners, stable lads. Everyone would be identified to ensure they were using their own members badge.

He mentioned that the racecourse had never given refunds before for postponed events, but as April/May were cancelled for Covid they agreed to refund £20 in total for those dates.

It may be coincidence, but it looks like the price if membership has gone up by £20 to £430, so renewals are £410 (inc the £20 covid refund).

They will continue the policy of Covid refunds (they couldn't do anything less!) where future meeting are cancelled due to it or where members aren't permitted to attend.

It seemed clear that they are government led now and until further notice with what they can do and this means racing and attendance can be withdrawn at a moments notice.

It was stated quite strongly that members this year would be in prime position to watch racing at Cheltenham c/w the general public.

The question from members wanting to miss this season and comeback in a years time at no extra re-joining cost was a good one. With him agreeing this was fair given the circumstances, and this would be an offer to all members for a period of 2 years.

All sounded no more than cautious optimism which probably reflects what a lot of the public think about going anywhere in mass-gatherings for the first time again.

Comment

Good update, much appreciated SW

Comment

Yes thankyou SW. As you say the increase is more than coincidence and was probably to be expected.

As Ian Renton points out, decisions to let crowds back in, and in what numbers is largely out of their control. They've essentially landed in a position that's inevitable.

I wonder if as part of their distancing measures some members will be expected to go over to the Best Mate Enclosure to maximise capacity. I certainly hope not, and I would object strongly. I'd intended to ask the question. Did it come up?

Also I'd imagine they'll be pretty keen to get the corporates back in before the general public. Was anything said about that?
                  Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

I've asked the question if they could have Annual membership in the Best Mate. That would make restricting numbers and obtaining questionnaires/ID far more simple.

Comment

Yes thankyou SW. As you say the increase is more than coincidence and was probably to be expected.

As Ian Renton points out, decisions to let crowds back in, and in what numbers is largely out of their control. They've essentially landed in a position that's inevitable.

I wonder if as part of their distancing measures some members will be expected to go over to the Best Mate Enclosure to maximise capacity. I certainly hope not, and I would object strongly. I'd intended to ask the question. Did it come up?

Also I'd imagine they'll be pretty keen to get the corporates back in before the general public. Was anything said about that?

There was a focus on use of the Princess Royal Stand completely for Annual members now, not the usual much smaller Annual Members section, and steps.

No mention of using the Best Mate.

I suppose if there are only 8000 members (minus those that want to skip a year) then those that want to come pre-Festival would all comfortably fit into all the main grandstand-side's bars, seating, indoor and outdoor areas without the gen-pop there.

They could spread into all the stands, bars, seating, toilets, etc without needing to even open and staff the Best Mate.

Comment

I'm seriously considering getting a members badge for the season as it looks like being the only way of watching the festival.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                          I'm seriously considering getting a members badge for the season as it looks like being the only way of watching the festival.
                          If members arent allowed to attend in October, November, December etc then they will be refunded for those dates being lost (if its down to Covid, not bad weather).

If that ends up being the case, the approx £100 will be refunded (incl New Years Day), so the membership cost would be approx what buying 4 day members tickets for the Festival would cost anyway - plus that would include racing on Trials Day, and April/May if any of that is of interest.

Comment

I'd say the rebate offers are poor. £10/15 back per day lost is not much in the way of compensation. I'm sure they'll reduce the bar prices to even it out...

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                              Can you buy them on a Direct Debit basis ? I suspect the answer is no but I live in hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                                Can you buy them on a Direct Debit basis ? I suspect the answer is no but I live in hope.
                                I don't know, I am waiting for my membership letter.

Will know more then.

Comment

Working...
                                X