Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Going Chasing / Staying Hurdling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Con Hill v State Man v Vauban Round II

Marine v Vega Round II Arkle

Impaire Turners

That would be my take on it anyway.
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonjers View Post
      Con Hill v State Man v Vauban Round II

Marine v Vega Round II Arkle

Impaire Turners

That would be my take on it anyway.
      ​​​​​​​
      Expect that view to change 30 times between now and Xmas

Comment

• Monkfish needs the National trip now. I’d get him beat a few times over fences and line him up there under 160.

Vauban has been, what is often the case, a very forward juvenile that didn’t quite progress at the same rate for open company.

In my opinion Garlic Warrior’s tendency to jump right would be exaggerated over fences. His best chance going left handed would be over hurdles for me.

Comment

• I’ve no idea where to post it but I want it on record the Gaelic Warrior story has been leading to him bolting up in the stayers hurdle next year. His two festival runs have been somewhat remarkable now we all know he’s in fact a superstar 3 miler. Albeit we knew he was going to be better up in trip, the Punchestown run shows it’s massive,t helped him. His first festival run came when he was too fresh when they’ve tried to protect his mark. His second was where he’s tracked IEP throughout but didn’t have the gears to catch him. He could conceivably win a champion hurdle next year if CH doesn’t go there. So Gaelics run when second that day was decent enough, especially when you consider how he’s finished his race off.

I think he will be 7/2 fav for the race by the time we next see him run. Take the 7s.

Gaelic Cert 3.0.

Comment

• Oh dear MOM. Where's that cliff!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
              I’ve no idea where to post it but I want it on record the Gaelic Warrior story has been leading to him bolting up in the stayers hurdle next year. His two festival runs have been somewhat remarkable now we all know he’s in fact a superstar 3 miler. Albeit we knew he was going to be better up in trip, the Punchestown run shows it’s massive,t helped him. His first festival run came when he was too fresh when they’ve tried to protect his mark. His second was where he’s tracked IEP throughout but didn’t have the gears to catch him. He could conceivably win a champion hurdle next year if CH doesn’t go there. So Gaelics run when second that day was decent enough, especially when you consider how he’s finished his race off.

I think he will be 7/2 fav for the race by the time we next see him run. Take the 7s.

Gaelic Cert 3.0.
              You love plucking these statements from somewhere. It's quite amusing

Comment

• Originally posted by OverTheLast View Post

We shall see..

Comment

• Originally posted by OverTheLast View Post

9/4 for the Ballymore was it?

Comment

• Gidleigh Park going chasing. From ATR.
                    Harry Fry is excited to see what Gidleigh Park can achieve over fences next season following his sixth-place finish in the Albert Bartlett at the Cheltenham Festival.

Impressive on his racecourse debut in a Chepstow bumper in the spring of last year, the six-year-old this term established himself as one of Britain’s leading novice hurdlers with a hat-trick of victories.

Having claimed Grade Two honours on Festival Trials day at Cheltenham in January, the son of Walk In The Park lost his unbeaten record on his return to the Cotswolds last month, with Fry blaming a combination of three miles and heavy ground for his slightly disappointing effort.

“He’s fine, it just didn’t happen for us on the day,” said the Dorset-based trainer.

“Obviously, the ground went testing from Thursday night into Friday and suddenly we were encountering what we’d been trying to avoid, which was running him over three miles on testing ground.

“It just meant they went steady, sensibly in the conditions, which didn’t suit us and he just overraced through the early and middle part of it and didn’t give himself a chance to really see it out.

“Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I don’t think we’d have beaten Ballyburn in the other race anyway (Gallagher Novices’ Hurdle). Probably the race we should have run in was the Supreme as it turned out, given the conditions.

“He’s fine and he’s been schooling away over fences since Cheltenham, which has gone very well, ahead of a novice chase campaign next season.

“We’ve always had half an eye on the day this horse goes novice chasing and he won’t be the first novice hurdler to get beat at the Festival and go on to better things over fences.”

Comment

• That explanation would very much worry you if you were an owner at Fry's. A long-winded explanation of why he should have run an inexperienced novice in the Supreme rather than the Bartlett in heavy ground. They could hardly be two more different races or tests for a novice. It would hardly fill you full of confidence that he knows how to campaign a potentially very good young horse correctly.
                      Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

• Don't think I've ever heard as many trainers wanting to avoid taking on a Novice Hurdler as much as this season with Ballyburn. He truly must be some machine.

Comment

• I’ve seen some conflicting reports about Mystical Power and whether he stays hurdling/goes chasing next year. Has anything been said?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mighty View Post
                            I’ve seen some conflicting reports about Mystical Power and whether he stays hurdling/goes chasing next year. Has anything been said?
                            I got the impression Willie thinks he's a hurdler who is not good enough to win the big Grade 1s which is the only reason why he is considering sending him novice chasing.

Most recently after his Aintree win, he seemed more inclined to keep him over hurdles:

"We'll see what's there for him over hurdles and I'd imagine we might come back here for the two-and-a-half mile race [Aintree Hurdle]," said Mullins. "Whether he can dine at the top table over two miles is another question."

Comment

• Originally posted by Exar Essay View Post

I got the impression Willie thinks he's a hurdler who is not good enough to win the big Grade 1s which is the only reason why he is considering sending him novice chasing.

Most recently after his Aintree win, he seemed more inclined to keep him over hurdles:

"We'll see what's there for him over hurdles and I'd imagine we might come back here for the two-and-a-half mile race [Aintree Hurdle]," said Mullins. "Whether he can dine at the top table over two miles is another question."

I backed him early for the CH just after Cheltenham on the basis that JP has plenty of horses to go novice chasing with and with Mystical Powers' breeding thought he would stay over hurdles. I can't think of a horse that JP could have for the CH next year and even went to the lengths to get Iberico Lord supplemented this year so i would say that JP will insist that MP goes the Champion Hurdle route regardless of what Willie says. Just a hunch

Comment

• Very good point Yosser re JP's lack of a CH horse. He'll be kept to Hurdles no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X