Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Bumper 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
    Many thanks, if you added.
    No I can't claim the credit for that one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
      With willie
      Havent a clue. But whoever's owns it, they're lucky.
      Was Sarah O ‘ Hare
      As you all know
      Last edited by Humble Pie; 2 December 2019, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morley Street View Post
        Think you’re writing him off too early Kev. Looks like Joseph rates his horse, they pulled a long way from the third and if they lined up again I’d be hopeful that FH would have learned enough to turn the tables. Not all champion bumper winners hack up first time out. As Scooby said yesterday, the price allows you to have a free second go before cashing, I’ll certainly be giving him another chance.
        Josephs was more impressive.

If people hadn't backed the loser they'd not be looking for excuses and at 14/1 they'd find it laughable.

I'm not arguing 25/1 isn't better than 14/1 ---- but the 14/1 now is laughable.

We've not seen anywhere near the best bumper horses yet, and the one we have seen got beat by a better horse potentially?

Cash out and move on (In reality I can see why people would hold on - but as I explained in my ante post thread, I don't want anything resembling a book and he disappointed, so he's gone)

Comment

• Wide Receiver entered at Navan + Punchestown

Power of Pause at Punchestown in Carefully Selected colours according to RP anyway.
          Last edited by jack1092; 3 December 2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Wide Receiver declared

Comment

• Post race comment on Wide Receiver:

Elliott said, “He was bought to be a good horse. He's raw and he doesn't do much at home.

“He's a horse for next year, he won't do much more this year, and he's a horse we'll mind to go jumping next year. He's a big raw horse.

“He was very green. Lisa said she was never going to get beat but he was very green, he's a baby.

“He got light on us and we had to back off him. He's a horse for the future.”

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                Post race comment on Wide Receiver:

Elliott said, “He was bought to be a good horse. He's raw and he doesn't do much at home.

“He's a horse for next year, he won't do much more this year, and he's a horse we'll mind to go jumping next year. He's a big raw horse.

“He was very green. Lisa said she was never going to get beat but he was very green, he's a baby.

“He got light on us and we had to back off him. He's a horse for the future.”
                Doesn't take much reading between the lines to summise that he isn't going to be a Gigginstown runner at Cheltenham.

Comment

• Cheers Archie, I’m glad I didn’t back him pre race yesterday for the CB

Comment

• When Abacadabras won on his Bumper debut last autumn, Eddie O’Leary said in a post-race interview that ‘the winner won well and will go hurdling now’.

I think speaking in the moment of victory is great for a flavour of what may follow, but shouldn’t be taken as gospel.

Any horse should come on from its racecourse debut, and if Wide Receiver does, and then wins a ‘winners of one’ race then this seasons plan could morph into something different.
                    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Bold to back something in the hope plans change though at his odds?

Comment

• Agreed Kev, and I am not advising anyone to back Wide Receiver but it’s pretty common for Gordon to say he doesn’t wish to overface his bumper winners and its all about running over obstacles next season.

Gordons quote on another Eur400K purchase who was bought to be a 3M chaser, Envoi Allen, on 2 December 2018 after his debut win was

Elliott said: “He’s a nice horse, but he’s a horse for next year. We’re only minding him this year.
                        “He’ll probably have one more run in a bumper and he won’t be going to Cheltenham.
                        “He’s a baby and has only been on grass once.”

The timing of Wide Receiver’s next run, and the performance will tell the trainer a lot more, and it wouldn’t be unusual if he won well to have an updated plan.
                        Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 9 December 2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hamptonfox View Post
                          Agreed Kev, and I am not advising anyone to back Wide Receiver but it’s pretty common for Gordon to say he doesn’t wish too overeface his bumper winners and its all about running over obstacles next season.

Gordons quote on another Eur400K purchase who was bough to be a 3M chaser, Envoi Allen, on 2 December 2028 after his debut win was

Elliott said: “He’s a nice horse, but he’s a horse for next year. We’re only minding him this year.
                          “He’ll probably have one more run in a bumper and he won’t be going to Cheltenham.
                          “He’s a baby and has only been on grass once.”

The timing of Wide Receiver’s next run, and the performance will tell the trainer a lot more, and it wouldn’t be unusual if he won well to have an updated plan.
                          The three definitive points on Gordon Elliott’s bumper winners are:
                          * He doesn’t suggest any big plans after their debut bumper wins for the stable, even as late as February.
                          * He has very few that run at the Cheltenham Festival bumper, it’s a select team and he has won twice from six runners in five years.
                          * He does seem to pick his best one or two horses for the race late, probably just prior to Festival Bumper decs, and not before.

The post-race comments for those six runners (who end up running in the Cheltenham Bumper) when winning their bumper on debut for the stable were.

Festival Bumper Runners 2019
                          Abacadabras (27 Oct 18) ‘the winner ran well and will go hurdling now’ Eddie OLeary, Gigginstown

Envoi Allen (2 Dec 2018) ‘ He’s a nice horse, but he’s a horse for next year. We’re only minding him this year. He’ll probably have one more run in a bumper and he won’t be going to Cheltenham. He’s a baby and has only been on grass once‘ Gordon Elliott.

Festival Bumper Runner 2018
                          Felix Desjy (19 Oct 2017) ‘he’s a big galloping horse, I’d say we’ll go jumping hurdles with him next’ Gordon Elliott.
                          (after 2nd bumper - 3 Nov 17) ‘he’s not a horse we are likely to do a lot with this year, he is one for the future’ Davy Condon, Asst Trainer

Festival Bumper Runner 2017
                          Fayonagh (4 Feb 2017) ‘she has her black type now anyway, she might go for the mares bumper at Aintree’ Gordon Elliott

Festival Bumper 2016
                          No Runners

Festival Bumper Runners March 2015
                          General Principle (Feb 2015) RPost quote ‘he is apparently not Cheltenham bound but would hardly be out of place’

Jetstream Jack (1 Jan 2015) RPost quote ‘he may have only one more run this season’
                          Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 9 December 2019, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Good research but.... you can't use it to back his horses for the bumper, as he'd have said similar about every single bumper winner he has and you can't back that system blind as there will be 10-fold that win that don't turn up?

I don't care about this race I really shouldn't comment

#PowerOfPauseWinsALL

Comment

• Wide Receiver one of five Gordon Elliott entries in a select field of 11 for the Listed ‘Future Champions’ Bumper at Navan on Sunday, entry made only three days after his debut win on Saturday.

Gordon has farmed the race in previous years, with Don Cossack, Samcro, Death Duty, Rapid Escape and Envoi Allen winning for him in the last eight years. The last two named went on to run next time out in the initial two editions of the Grade 1 Bumper at the Dublin Racing Festival.

A race to watch with interest, and Gordon will be odds on to have the winner again, all his five winners have won bumpers and if the trainer is a creature of habit, then the winner on Sunday would be lining up in the Grade 1 in the DRF, and if successful there then Cheltenham would loom large in his thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hamptonfox View Post
                                Wide Receiver one of five Gordon Elliott entries in a select field of 11 for the Listed ‘Future Champions’ Bumper at Navan on Sunday, entry made only three days after his debut win on Saturday.

Gordon has farmed the race in previous years, with Don Cossack, Samcro, Death Duty, Rapid Escape and Envoi Allen winning for him in the last eight years. The last two named went on to run next time out in the initial two editions of the Grade 1 Bumper at the Dublin Racing Festival.

A race to watch with interest, and Gordon will be odds on to have the winner again, all his five winners have won bumpers and if the trainer is a creature of habit, then the winner on Sunday would be lining up in the Grade 1 in the DRF, and if successful there then Cheltenham would loom large in his thoughts.
                                I'd ignore any Gigginstown horse for this race. They've only ran a couple in the race and all their best bumper horses have swerved it.

It's easy to put a line through all of them for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X