Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no way I'm not having Altior onside in a Gold Cup.

The best horse in training going for THE best race, with nothing left to prove over 2m, is a er to nothing and I hope he destroys everything.

Better than Kauto WHEN he does it.

Comment

• I just can’t see it with Altior, Nicky Henderson is a phenomenal trainer but to go up such a distance at his age is too much. I can’t see him staying in the King George unless it’s a real slow pace and he’s allowed to dominate up front and they give him too much to catch him but no, it’s an experiment to appease the critics. It will never happen but I think there is more chance of him running in the Ryanair than the Gold Cup and that chance is very slim at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
        I just can’t see it with Altior, Nicky Henderson is a phenomenal trainer but to go up such a distance at his age is too much. I can’t see him staying in the King George unless it’s a real slow pace and he’s allowed to dominate up front and they give him too much to catch him but no, it’s an experiment to appease the critics. It will never happen but I think there is more chance of him running in the Ryanair than the Gold Cup and that chance is very slim at best.
        Why is it "too much" to go up in trp at his age? There are hundreds and hundreds of examples of horses staying further the older they get.

I don't understand anyone that thinks its a very slim chance - the trainer has literally said they're aiming at the King George, so to rule out a tilt at the Gold Cup is bizarre?

Comment

• I think this could be the season that Altior is susceptible to being beaten over 2 miles so unless they retire him now, I’m not sure they’ll be able to protect his 100% jumps record. Stepping up in trip is a no brainier as if he does stay, they could find a bit of improvement at the longer trip. Altior is always doing his best work at the end of his races and he never falls over the finish line, I think 3 miles will be within his reach but the Gold Cup distance I’d be less convinced.

Comment

• The Altior decision looks to be a really exciting decision, unfortunately coz money is such an obvious pressure we sometimes forget that this is a sport and this looks like being a really great sporting decision to go and try and make him one of the legends of the sport. (hes not too far away now to be fair)

Comment

• For my money, Altior should absolutely blitz the King George field. I would think it might be the perfect race for him at this stage. Like Scooby, I think that will inevitably lead to a crack at the Gold Cup - a mouth watering prospect which will excite in the build up and lead to a mass of varying opinions.
              Personally, I cant see him finishing as effectively over 3M2F and that he will be left for dead after the home turn. I feel sure that NJH has similar worries and would much prefer to win the KG and then revert to the Champion Chase - perhaps after 'a minor setback' causes him to miss his 3 mile prep.

Comment

• Originally posted by delsie777 View Post
                For my money, Altior should absolutely blitz the King George field. I would think it might be the perfect race for him at this stage. Like Scooby, I think that will inevitably lead to a crack at the Gold Cup - a mouth watering prospect which will excite in the build up and lead to a mass of varying opinions.
                Personally, I cant see him finishing as effectively over 3M2F and that he will be left for dead after the home turn. I feel sure that NJH has similar worries and would much prefer to win the KG and then revert to the Champion Chase - perhaps after 'a minor setback' causes him to miss his 3 mile prep.
                One think about altior is, he's never keen or head strong, in a race, he relaxes, hits his flat spot and gets cajoled back on to the bridle, before finding a ton. He's deffinately not a catch me if you can kind of horse. I cant see very little negative in him going up in trip, only positives that something like sceau royal cant try and catch him cold like last year and go for home early.

The only obvious negative is the king george itself going right handed, and a very slight worry about his exuberate jumping over 3m2 , he often takes off a mile back and reaches for one early (and clears it easily) rather than popping a fence and conserving energy , but he's a freak of a horse so the same rules may not apply.
                Last edited by Scooby91; 22 September 2019, 09:23 AM.
                https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Good point on the right handed thing, that would be enough to put me off him for a KG

Comment

• Yes, I would have the same reservations about his jumping style. I also fear that horses such as ABP, Delta Work and Santini are more workmanlike and robust over a trip. I would rather back Delta Work at 14's than Altior - at this stage - but I cant argue that, should he win the KG, antepost backers for the GC would have a great price should he turn up there.
                    It's the big conundrum of the season at the moment. Available at 5's for the QM and big prices for the GC. Still 6 months and a KG to survive as well, of course.

Comment

• If Altior loses the KG, possibly due in part to it being a Right-handed track. Would that mean the Hendo would abort a Gold Cup bid?

Does he have to win the KG for connections to decide to line up in the Gold Cup?
                      Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 22 September 2019, 09:47 AM.
                      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Originally posted by Hamptonfox View Post
                        If Altima loses the KG, possibly due in part to it being a Right-handed track. Would that mean the Hendo would abort a Gold Cup bid?

Does he have to win the KG for connections to decide to line up in the Gold Cup?
                        Probably, a Vautour performance with him jumping out to the right and getting nailed on the line, would see him go GC imo.

But whos going to beat him in the KG? He's altior.

The 3 best GC contenders imo. (Altior aside) ABP, kemboy, Delta work almost certainly wont be there. So he'd want to be winning, to win the GC.

Comment

He has to win at Ascot for connections to decide to line up in the KG.

Comment

• It will be the Nicholls right-handers Cyrname and Clan Des Obeaux plus La Bague Au Roi that would probably target the race with Altior. The Irish may send one over as a sighter to test him too. The Irish main Gold Cup horses won’t be there, as you say Scooby.
                            "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                              He has to win at Ascot for connections to decide to line up in the KG.
                              IF he goes to ascot,
                              i think they'll very likely side step cyrname myself nearer the time and go for an easier prep in the peterborough chase.

Unless they put some sort of bonus up independantly at ascot, which they probably should, as its arguably a tripple crown in itself. And a mouth watering clash for little compensation.

Comment

It will be the Nicholls right-handers Cyrname and Clan Des Obeaux plus La Bague Au Roi that would probably target the race with Altior. The Irish may send one over as a sighter to test him too. The Irish main Gold Cup horses won’t be there, as you say Scooby.
                                The tizzard batallion too.

Comment

Working...
                                X