Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just added champagne court 25s close brothers, good bumper horse, 4th in Martin pipe, always was a good jumper but has taken very to fences, 2from2...143 nice sweet spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birds Nest View Post
      just added champagne court 25s close brothers, good bumper horse, 4th in Martin pipe, always was a good jumper but has taken very to fences, 2from2...143 nice sweet spot.
      Big ask in a Gold Cup off 143

Comment

• No Faugheen or Samcro!

Comment

• I am still liking the stat that only Native River in the past ten years has won having raced in it before. All other 9 winners were making their first start in it.

That stat may even go back further but I cba checking.

So for me ABP is still my one but I need to go through all the Gold Cup virgins at some point to decided whether any are worthy. One horse I love is Top Ville Ben but he wont be good enough, love the way he goes out and booms all his fences and has a good attitude. He does fall the odd time but hes one lesser horse I do follow.

Comment

• Speaking of stats....since the modern era began (switch the the New Course in 1959) this is the full list of horses that have won more than one Gold Cup.

Kauto Star 2009/2007
            Best Mate 2004/2003/2002
            L'escargot 1971/1970
            Arkle 1966/1965/1964

Al Boum Photo 5/1 to join that list?

Laughable

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
              Speaking of stats....since the modern era began (switch the the New Course in 1959) this is the full list of horses that have won more than one Gold Cup.

Kauto Star 2009/2007
              Best Mate 2004/2003/2002
              L'escargot 1971/1970
              Arkle 1966/1965/1964

Al Boum Photo 5/1 to join that list?

Laughable
              All them records will be smashed when Elegant Escape wins the next four gold cups

Apparently

Comment

Kauto Star 2009/2007
                Best Mate 2004/2003/2002
                Both won their first one as a 7yr old, which is something ABP has in his advantage on top of being lightly raced. Last year wasn’t much of a slog for him either ala Native River so think it’s highly doable

Comment

• Originally posted by Liammet View Post
                  All them records will be smashed when Elegant Escape wins the next four gold cups

Apparently
                  If Elegant Escape jumps a clear round and completes the course in a faster time than his rivals, there's every chance that he will be the winner.

On the subject of Gold Cup 'virgins', there is a precedent for successful second timers who had their first attempt rudely interrupted at an early stage. See More Business was carried out (by Cyborgo?) along the back on the first circuit in 1998 and came back to win in 1999 at 16/1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                    Both won their first one as a 7yr old, which is something ABP has in his advantage on top of being lightly raced. Last year wasn’t much of a slog for him either ala Native River so think it’s highly doable

I'm not a trends follower, it's just a narrative to go along with anybodies punting. I'm just pointing out that the four horses to have done it are in my mind far superior to Al Boum Photo and Native River. I can't imagine either of those becoming legends of the sport. The 4 that have done it are actual proper legends.

The prices I'd want that would tempt me to back those two would be.... 10/1 for Al Boum Photo and I'd want 33/1 before I considered an each way bet on Native River.

By no means saying I don't think Al Boum Photo can win, I just know I won't be on him at the 4/1 he is now ante post.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                      If Elegant Escape jumps a clear round and completes the course in a faster time than his rivals, there's every chance that he will be the winner.

On the subject of Gold Cup 'virgins', there is a precedent for successful second timers who had their first attempt rudely interrupted at an early stage. See More Business was carried out (by Cyborgo?) along the back on the first circuit in 1998 and came back to win in 1999 at 16/1.
                      Haha I don't even know if the "WUM" even realised what he put when posted that! Surely if there is awards that has to make the shortlist of Quotes of the season?

Comment

• Simon Rowlands puts the victories of Al Boum Photo at Tramore and Global Giant at Wolverhampton under the microscope - he also has news on sectional timing developments in France.

Mr Rowlands was impressed with ABP anyway!

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
                          https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/sec...7-January-2020

Mr Rowlands was impressed with ABP anyway!
                          You'll probably be in a decent place to answer this jack as you're on the pulse of racing twitter...

Do you think the edge of sectional timings is now an over bet angle?

Everytime I hear a podcast or tipster they refer to (usually Simon Rowlands, Will Hoffman and the other dude I forgot) and people big up the speed figures to back up their selections, but it seems a little bit like it's flavour of the month (years maybe better than month in that sentence)...

It isn't like Simon Rowlands has now become the best tipster all of a sudden, he's just carrying on the same way others do?

Personally I'm all for it, the more information the better and it's great to analyse but my gut feeling is people over value it, just because it's the newest toy we've got?

Comment

You'll probably be in a decent place to answer this jack as you're on the pulse of racing twitter...

Do you think the edge of sectional timings is now an over bet angle?

Everytime I hear a podcast or tipster they refer to (usually Simon Rowlands, Will Hoffman and the other dude I forgot) and people big up the speed figures to back up their selections, but it seems a little bit like it's flavour of the month (years maybe better than month in that sentence)...

It isn't like Simon Rowlands has now become the best tipster all of a sudden, he's just carrying on the same way others do?

Personally I'm all for it, the more information the better and it's great to analyse but my gut feeling is people over value it, just because it's the newest toy we've got?

Agree completely- they are the current fascination for many + are probably overused now in terms of an angle!

I don't particularly use them either, just like reading his articles. Need to get a copy of last week's Irish Field as he had quite a lot in it from over xmas.
                            Andy Holding is probably who you mean! He isn't bad either. Personally never warmed to the Stopwatch Hoffman fella. Comes across a twat, and i think he jumped on the sectional bandwagon at the right time, if i remember correctly, he came to prominence from a mention on the FFP which just shows you, given how sh1t it is these days lol.

On ABP though, i suppose at least it shows his win was a decent performance on the clock, since quite a few GCs don't actually return to anywhere near themselves afterwards.

Comment

• I have 15/2 on ABP and happy with that. I think he has a great chance of winning it again. Powered up the hill last year and I think I would take his prep rather than several of the more exposed ones.

I am thinking of taking Delta Work as my other for this race, rather have him on side being unexposed at this distance than the others who we know wont win as they haven't in recent years and wont do this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
                                Agree completely- they are the current fascination for many + are probably overused now in terms of an angle!

I don't particularly use them either, just like reading his articles. Need to get a copy of last week's Irish Field as he had quite a lot in it from over xmas.
                                Andy Holding is probably who you mean! He isn't bad either. Personally never warmed to the Stopwatch Hoffman fella. Comes across a twat, and i think he jumped on the sectional bandwagon at the right time, if i remember correctly, he came to prominence from a mention on the FFP which just shows you, given how sh1t it is these days lol.

On ABP though, i suppose at least it shows his win was a decent performance on the clock, since quite a few GCs don't actually return to anywhere near themselves afterwards.
                                Not a lot to add to that, I just agree.

Yes it was Andy Holding, I did see a promo video he did once explaining his premium service and speed figures - it involved loads of doing it yourself still and interpretting his data.

I bet FFP have given a load of new subscribers to that fella that was on over Christmas too for the betting special.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still pretty much on the fence in this race. Have been since before the RSA last year and I'm not sure I'll end up getting off the fence

Comment

Working...
                                X