Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Each-way Multiple Pairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Each-way Multiple Pairs

I like to get a few of these in place before the Cheltenham preview nights start sucking all the value out the market, so feel free to join and name your best each-way multiple pairs, at todays prices

The idea is that each horse you select is an each-way price (i.e. > 4/1) that you struggle to see knocked out the frame, but also has a realistic chance of winning. The Champion Chase would therefore be a poor race for this type of bet.

You then select two horses in that race, pair them up with three or four other races so that you have a total of 6-8 horses, and place the accumulator combinations.

These bets pay a handsome profit just for four of your selections to place, but if you manage the bag the winners then it's festival completed

To kick off:

Arkle
    Le Richebourg 7/1
    Lalor 5/1

Ryanair
    Monalee 8/1
    Top Notch 10/1

RSA
    Delta Work 5/1
    Topofthegame 8/1

Ballymore
    Champ 4/1
    Battleoverdoyen 6/1

Placed with Bet365 pays a multiple of around 1400x stake at best return

The ones above are fairly boring options but I like to use the bets as a way of hedging English and Irish form lines
    Last edited by bobbyvalentino; 22 January 2019, 05:23 PM.

What's the number of bets needed to cover all of those bobby?

This isn't something I've done before, but others definitely do...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      What's the number of bets needed to cover all of those bobby?

This isn't something I've done before, but others definitely do...
      Just multiply your number of selections, in this case 16 win bets or 32 e/w. I do a few of these each year but win only, still waiting to collect

Comment

It's permutation betting isn't it....

I don't tend to split stakes very often so I've never really done it... but I'm going to look into it now as there is nothing else pressing me. (Apart from the JP runner research I still haven't attempted)

Comment

Yeah Kev just treat it like a tote line regarding permutations, Think few people call these block bets some bookies form them automatically when added to the slip, some make you do them individually which can be a ball ache at times.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyvalentino View Post

Arkle
            Le Richebourg 7/1
            Lalor 5/1

Ryanair
            Monalee 8/1
            Top Notch 10/1

RSA
            Delta Work 5/1
            Topofthegame 8/1

Ballymore
            Champ 4/1
            Battleoverdoyen 6/1
            So number of bets?

Trebles = 32 bets (e/w 64)
            4 fold = 16 bets (e/w 32)
            Yankee = 176 (e/w 352)
            Lucky 15 = 240 (e/w 480)
            Permed Patent = 224 (e/w 448)

Comment

So number of bets?

Yankee = 176 (e/w 352)
              Lucky 15 = 240 (e/w 480)
              That's what I make of it , I assume the OP plays the 4fold line , personally I'd do trebles win and 4fold e/w but that's just me . Others might want the doubles too but with multiple selections soon adds up as you've highlighted

Comment

Fast way to the poor house but fun for tiny stakes I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
                  Fastest way to the poor house is backing horses that are catching pigeons on the gallops, or working the house down

Or is it backing odds on shots in maidens?

Or is it backing handicaps ante post at Cheltenham?

I can see the appeal, I can also see why this might not suit me. I'm going to pinpoint some races where I can't split between two horses and see if that leaves me anything to work with.

Comment

So number of bets?

Yankee = 176 (e/w 352)
                    Lucky 15 = 240 (e/w 480)
                    Kev, I just do the 4 fold line. In 365 you put the stake in the same as the patent or whatever else, so 50p ew would be £16.

Personally experience only but I’ve been fairly successful with these, but I wouldn’t do win only the whole point is you are picking horses very likely to finish in the first three, so you would only need a placed selection across each race to generate profit. The upside is they might all win and then it pays very well.

Comment

I like to get a few of these in place before the Cheltenham preview nights start sucking all the value out the market, so feel free to join and name your best each-way multiple pairs, at todays prices

The idea is that each horse you select is an each-way price (i.e. > 4/1) that you struggle to see knocked out the frame, but also has a realistic chance of winning. The Champion Chase would therefore be a poor race for this type of bet.

You then select two horses in that race, pair them up with three or four other races so that you have a total of 6-8 horses, and place the accumulator combinations.

These bets pay a handsome profit just for four of your selections to place, but if you manage the bag the winners then it's festival completed

To kick off:

Arkle
                      Le Richebourg 7/1
                      Lalor 5/1

Ryanair
                      Monalee 8/1
                      Top Notch 10/1

RSA
                      Delta Work 5/1
                      Topofthegame 8/1

Ballymore
                      Champ 4/1
                      Battleoverdoyen 6/1

Placed with Bet365 pays a multiple of around 1400 at best return

The ones above are fairly boring options but I like to use the bets as a way of hedging English and Irish form lines
                      Done this last season, think it was noted about dutching certain, obvious races, and then had them in multiples, it worked for some, but ultimately didn't end up much further ahead than normal from them, bets placed were e/way trixies.

Last season I remember doing the following:

Champion Hurdle: Buveur D'air & Faugheen - Got lucky, winning my a neck, Faugheen never ran, so a loser!

Arkle: Petit Mouchoir & Footpad eventually, missed out the decent prices, had some 5's though - 1st & 3rd so a double result.

Mares: Apples Jade & Limini - Some disappointment that was, but a place was better than a complete loss, even at the poor price, Limini never ran!

Stayers: Nichols Canyon & UKWIMH - Partly unlucky (risk of AP) with NC, partly garbage!

Gold Cup: Might Bite & Our Duke - Placed & PU.

I only ever hit one double, although in more than one trixie, and had enough placed bets to do their job and return profit. This time around I have decided on doing more doubles with the same sort of thought process, and less trixies/larger multiples.

Don't think I could ever just do a treble or 4fold ever again, seen enough of them go down the pan due to one or more horses, left gutted, so singles, doubles and smaller multiple permutations (though I still have a lot on) this time around.
                      Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 22 January 2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

All depends what an individual stakes I suppose, me personally I would treat these as "dreamy" bets so only place 50p perms etc so have no real interest landing a double for say £50 but if I got lucky with trebles few hundred or the holy grail and net well into 4 figures then that's what I've placed the bet for

Comment

Originally posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
                          While there are variables that may make them a tad risky this far out, e/w multiples can often give a good edge.

Mug doubles etc are different IMO.

Comment

Can I ask why you are restricting your bets to horses bigger than 4/1 ?
                            I play plenty of each way and will go down to 2/1, it's insurance against the win part of the bet and even at 2s you get 50% of your win stake back or in your case 150% of your stake going onto the next leg.
                            Not everyone's strategy I know but a £10ew double at 2/1 and 2/1 pays £90 if they both win and £22.50 for the place double...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                              Can I ask why you are restricting your bets to horses bigger than 4/1 ?
                              I play plenty of each way and will go down to 2/1, it's insurance against the win part of the bet and even at 2s you get 50% of your win stake back or in your case 150% of your stake going onto the next leg.
                              Not everyone's strategy I know but a £10ew double at 2/1 and 2/1 pays £90 if they both win and £22.50 for the place double...
                              It's a fair point Istabraq, more a margin play from my perspective and a general rule of thumb, but if the horse I really fancied to place was 2/1 I'd go down to that.

Additionally, this far out I generally think I can pick out lots of 4-8 shots that will be 2/1 or 3/1 on the day, so I like to look a bit bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X