Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Queen Mother Champion Chase 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobbyvalentino View Post
    I'm throwing one out there - Great Field - Champion Chase

You'd be hard pressed to find a horse who has loved the transition to fences more than Great Field. Rumour has it a few names politely refused the ride when watching this animal schooling, and during his first three demolitions over in Ireland it became quite clear why. He's the Paul Walker of National Hunt.

I was much more impressed by his latest run in Navan last March where he comfortably put away a solid yardstick in Doctor Phoenix. He was measured in this round of jumping, despite understandably tiring close to home in heavy ground.

Obviously a fragile horse we've only seen him race once in 18 months, but I think this has allowed him to go under the radar compared to what we have seen on the track. At 25/1 this price reflects the strength and depth of the yard he's from, but on a closer look you'd think it is certainly possible Great Field ends up the Mullins A-string come March.

At 3/1 Footpad holds the best claims with his usually flawless jumping and probably one of the performances of the 2018 festival. However he's also the horse with the most potential of stepping up in trip. Mullins Gold Cup hand (ABP, Bellshill) is average at best, and if the yard rumours we are hearing today that Footpad may take in the King George are true, you'd have to consider it now more than a remote chance he lines up for the blue riband event. A strong performance in the King George (which to be fair, he looks tailor made for) would only serve to solidify this. Running over the others; Min has been proved on several occasions now to be below the class, UDS needs it heavy to be shown at best effect here and Douvan is reported lame again today - you can't take ante post on a horse with his profile.

At 25/1 each-way I think Great Field is a knocking bet as this is his only realistic target, and I would even fancy him to give Altior a proper shake up. Given his exhilarating, front running style of racing it's quite possible they won't be able to reel him back in.

PS: nice to meet everyone
    welcome Bobbyvalentino , I was reading up about Great field at the weekend and had to have a little bet on him.
    Got 25-1 with Paddy .p i think it was.

Comment

He was joint favourite for a County Hurdle so there was some confidence behind him. If you watch the race back there's no early gallop and he races far too freely. It was only his second run for Mullins so, like Leman, I'd be happy to put a line through.
      Welcome to the forum - super opening post.

The thing that slightly puts me off Great Field ever so slightly, is that PP are best price.
      Now that doesn't really make any sense, as has been pointed out, he really doesn't seem to have any other options at the festival.

I suppose the worry would be, will he be at the festival at all? (He's shown to not be the most fragile and may be kept for some of the 2 mile chases in Ireland?)

They are only really minor concerns though.

PP are also 25/1 about Min - I'm not in the Min fan-club by any stretch but if he was to run here he's no where near a 25/1 shot.

I have thought/posted in the Ryanair thread (I think) about Min stepping up in trip for that, which this standout PP price also reflects, but it does seem too big a price.

Not about to act on either but interesting in my opinion.

Comment

I got a PP Boost which took him up to 40s...……...which was very unexpected. Welcome aboard Bobby

Comment

Again, another big jump, Footpad gets mentioned for the King George, then attracts near £2k of matched bets on the exchanges for this race.

He is now nearly £2k clear of Altior on traded money.

Comment

Douvan out for the season

Comment

Yep and same leg too. Unfortunately i think that will be him done. Never got to a live up to how truly great Willie rated him.
              Cant see Footpad going anywhere bar here now.

Comment

Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
                Yep and same leg too. Unfortunately i think that will be him done. Never got to a live up to how truly great Willie rated him.
                Cant see Footpad going anywhere bar here now.
                I agree.

Also explains the additional money for him for this race despite the King George being mentioned.

Comment

bloody shame , you gotta feel for connections.

Comment

I'm throwing one out there - Great Field - Champion Chase

You'd be hard pressed to find a horse who has loved the transition to fences more than Great Field. Rumour has it a few names politely refused the ride when watching this animal schooling, and during his first three demolitions over in Ireland it became quite clear why. He's the Paul Walker of National Hunt.

I was much more impressed by his latest run in Navan last March where he comfortably put away a solid yardstick in Doctor Phoenix. He was measured in this round of jumping, despite understandably tiring close to home in heavy ground.

Obviously a fragile horse we've only seen him race once in 18 months, but I think this has allowed him to go under the radar compared to what we have seen on the track. At 25/1 this price reflects the strength and depth of the yard he's from, but on a closer look you'd think it is certainly possible Great Field ends up the Mullins A-string come March.

At 3/1 Footpad holds the best claims with his usually flawless jumping and probably one of the performances of the 2018 festival. However he's also the horse with the most potential of stepping up in trip. Mullins Gold Cup hand (ABP, Bellshill) is average at best, and if the yard rumours we are hearing today that Footpad may take in the King George are true, you'd have to consider it now more than a remote chance he lines up for the blue riband event. A strong performance in the King George (which to be fair, he looks tailor made for) would only serve to solidify this. Running over the others; Min has been proved on several occasions now to be below the class, UDS needs it heavy to be shown at best effect here and Douvan is reported lame again today - you can't take ante post on a horse with his profile.

At 25/1 each-way I think Great Field is a knocking bet as this is his only realistic target, and I would even fancy him to give Altior a proper shake up. Given his exhilarating, front running style of racing it's quite possible they won't be able to reel him back in.

PS: nice to meet everyone
                    Paddys and Betfair must have finally read your case, nicely cut today...

Comment

Both Altior and Footpad among the entries for the King George.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                        Both Altior and Footpad among the entries for the King George.
                        https://www.racingpost.com/racecards...8-12-26/714471
                        When Saint Calvados hacks up in the Tingle Creek, Altior will be forced here

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                          When Saint Calvados hacks up in the Tingle Creek, Altior will be forced here
                          He has a king george entry. Which looks a strange 1 on paper.
                          https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                          Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

1988 the last time an 8 year old champion won as a 9 year old. Anyone worried about that stat?

Comment

Originally posted by Folski View Post
                              1988 the last time an 8 year old champion won as a 9 year old. Anyone worried about that stat?
                              Step forward.....Footpad!

Comment

Originally posted by Folski View Post
                                Was 1990 actually I'm half asleep this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X