Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Martin Pipe 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one heard anything about Willies Sandsend, he's got a nice looking profile for a race like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by billymag View Post
      Any one heard anything about Willies Sandsend, he's got a nice looking profile for a race like this.
      I like him for the County. 143 in Ireland not sure he gets into this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        Gordon Elliott has won the last two running of the 13:50 W.T. O'Grady Memorial Irish EBF Novice Hurdle today....

The Storyteller (who was fav for the Martin Pipe before getting ruled out) and Westend Star - who was beaten at the festival.

Dortmund Park has a different profile, but is he one that might end up there? On his French bumper form he has oodles of ability as has been highlighted on the forum.... and Elliott would want to win the Pipe race I'd imagine... I might request a price?
        Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        I am pretty annoyed I didn't back Dortmund Park each way at 12/1 - I put it in my betslip and then didn't do anything with it.

Now they respond and give a quote of 10/1
        Dortmund Park is now available at 16/1 NRNB. I highlighted him originally the morning he won (without backing him, doh!) but it was because The Storyteller won it and was fav for the Martin Pipe before getting injured...and the year before that the winner for Elliott also ran in the Martin Pipe...(didn't do anything though).

I assumed he'd be going for the Albert Bartlett and probably still will, but thought itw as interesting to read Elliott mention this as a possible target.

"Dortmund Park -
        He’s got a lot of entries and he’s had one of those famous wind operations. What is the rule with the Irish going over to England? Ah, you have to declare them. He's in the Martin Pipe, Albert Bartlett, it will be one or the other."

16/1 NRNB? Now he clearly isn't ground dependant as he's won on good in France and in Soft over here.... BUT if he improves back on Good ground.... he clearly has a lot of ability.... and could end up being a bit of a steamer in the market?

Gigginstown have a decent win/place record too in the last few years in this race (which isn't particularly relevant but certainly not a negative!)

I'm going to add him 16/1 NRNB with Slybet now and hope for a nice mark (currently 141 Irish mark).... on the proviso if he doesn't get a decent/winnable mark, he'd go for the Albert Bartlett anyway!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          Dortmund Park is now available at 16/1 NRNB. I highlighted him originally the morning he won (without backing him, doh!) but it was because The Storyteller won it and was fav for the Martin Pipe before getting injured...and the year before that the winner for Elliott also ran in the Martin Pipe...(didn't do anything though).

I assumed he'd be going for the Albert Bartlett and probably still will, but thought itw as interesting to read Elliott mention this as a possible target.

"Dortmund Park -
          He’s got a lot of entries and he’s had one of those famous wind operations. What is the rule with the Irish going over to England? Ah, you have to declare them. He's in the Martin Pipe, Albert Bartlett, it will be one or the other."

16/1 NRNB? Now he clearly isn't ground dependant as he's won on good in France and in Soft over here.... BUT if he improves back on Good ground.... he clearly has a lot of ability.... and could end up being a bit of a steamer in the market?

Gigginstown have a decent win/place record too in the last few years in this race (which isn't particularly relevant but certainly not a negative!)

I'm going to add him 16/1 NRNB with Slybet now and hope for a nice mark (currently 141 Irish mark).... on the proviso if he doesn't get a decent/winnable mark, he'd go for the Albert Bartlett anyway!
          Anything Elliott sends to this has to be respected he had two in the first three last year despite The Storyteller getting injured. He’s openly said how much winning it means to him given his history with the Pipes.

Personally I’m on Blow By Blow. If he can recapture his bumper form he’ll run his race.
          Last edited by SeanRock; 25 February 2018, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Been a little nibble for Mr Big Shot in this. Nothing wrong so far but presumably the stats for seasonal debutants at the Festival are pretty dreadful and that's before you take into account the trainer having a very poor season?

Comment

• Whiskey Sour has the perfect mark for this, and one Im keen to back, but cant help but feel 2m is his trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                Whiskey Sour has the perfect mark for this, and one Im keen to back, but cant help but feel 2m is his trip.
                I'd say the step up in trip would be ideal, he won on the flat over 2m 1f at the Galway festival last year, and the only way he won a 2m hurdle this season was banking on 2 horses falling at the last, other than that he is readily held over 2m and the 2m 4f trip IMO will suit him.

Comment

Whiskey Sour has the perfect mark for this, and one Im keen to back, but cant help but feel 2m is his trip.
                  Yes that'd be a big concern for me CCM. This race invariably goes to a staying type and I haven't seen anything to suggest that's what Whiskey Sour is.

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                    I'd say the step up in trip would be ideal, he won on the flat over 2m 1f at the Galway festival last year, and the only way he won a 2m hurdle this season was banking on 2 horses falling at the last, other than that he is readily held over 2m and the 2m 4f trip IMO will suit him.
                    Yes fair points CoD. Just wish he had some form in the book over more than the minimum trip. He, more than most others, looks a horse who is going to massively appreciate the spring ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
                      Yes that'd be a big concern for me CCM. This race invariably goes to a staying type and I haven't seen anything to suggest that's what Whiskey Sour is.
                      Hard to see where else they can go though VF wouldn't you say? He certainly doesn't look up to the Supreme or the Ballymore? And it seems a shame to waste the mark he has?

Comment

Hard to see where else they can go though VF wouldn't you say? He certainly doesn't look up to the Supreme or the Ballymore? And it seems a shame to waste the mark he has?
                        Yes very true, can definitely see them going here, but wouldn't be one I'd be backing. Although it's a good point by COD that he won over 2m1 on the flat which suggests he'll need a trip over hurdles. I just feel this race is for the proper 3m national hunt types (hence why giggi do so well in it).

Comment

• Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
                          Yes very true, can definitely see them going here, but wouldn't be one I'd be backing. Although it's a good point by COD that he won over 2m1 on the flat which suggests he'll need a trip over hurdles. I just feel this race is for the proper 3m national hunt types (hence why giggi do so well in it).
                          I agree. Really want to back the horse but keep stopping myself from doing so in this race for the same reason. He's very closely related to Our Conor.

Comment

• Have taken a bit of the 20/1 on offer with Hills. Would kick myself if I didnt. Worth the difference over 12/1 NRNB

Comment

• Ted Walsh mentioned WS as a galway hurdle horse at Christmas

Comment

• Originally posted by Folski View Post
                                Ted Walsh mentioned WS as a galway hurdle horse at Christmas
                                Any horse that wins there twice in a week must like the place Folski! But surely they can have some fun with him at the spring festivals before putting him away and freshening him up for the summer?

Comment

Working...
                                X