Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

RSA Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presenting Percy really is a marmite horse.

There is plenty of knowledge in ETs post but I thinkm he may have a net out

Comment

• He's a raspberry jam horse for me...

Comment

• Elegant Escape would be an e/w bet in the 4M NH chase

Comment

• I see our man elegantly tasted is posting on the racing forum under potato in the rsa thread.
          https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
          Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Henry de Bromhead is confident Monalee can vindicate his decision to step him back up in trip in the RSA Insurance Novices' Chase this afternoon.

The seven-year-old will tackle the extended three-mile Grade One contest having won over two miles and five furlongs at Leopardstown last time out.

"He is in good form and he seems well. It was a great run at Leopardstown and I'm happy. I think he is a three-mile horse," said De Bromhead.

"I know a lot of people think he should be going for the JLT. It was two-mile-five last time and he needed that last furlong. If I blocked everyone else apart from the trainer, jockey and owner, there would hardly be a discussion.

"For me he is a three-mile horse. If it was two-five maybe you would start considering it, but it is 20 yards short of two miles and four furlongs.

"Death Duty beat him out of sight over two and a half over hurdles. It was two-five at Leopardstown on soft ground and he needed every inch of it, I thought.

"I don't think there is any penalty kick and there are some very good horses in it, like Invitation Only and Terrefort. We are happy and we think he is a three-mile horse. We hope we have made the right decision, but all will be revealed.

"He has won over three miles on bottomless ground at Clonmel and he loved it. I always thought he was more dependent on soft ground than good ground, but he seems to handle anything."

Last year's Pertemps Final winner Presenting Percy is reported to be in sparkling form ahead of his return to Cheltenham.

Although suffering defeat at the hands of Irish Grand National winner Our Duke last time out, connections of the Patrick Kelly-trained seven-year-old are hoping he can follow up last year's triumph on his first start in Grade One company over fences.

Owner Philip Reynolds told At The Races: "He gave us a super day last year. It was following on from Mall Dini the year before and I never thought lightning would strike twice, but it was fantastic.

"He's a wonderful horse and he's been a great servant. He's run 15 times for us, winning eight and being placed three or four times. It's very hard to get a horse as special as that. We're very lucky to have him.

"I think opinion is probably split on whether his last run was a good run or a bad run, given we were getting weight from Our Duke, but I think people forget Our Duke won an Irish National by 14 lengths.

"To me it was a good run - I think he ran to his mark. I would have preferred it if he'd won on the day, but I think it was a fantastic performance, particularly for a novice.

"I don't think it was an overly hard race and he's absolutely flying since. He's in great, great form.

"I think Monalee is a huge danger to us. Outside that, I'd pick Elegant Escape as our main danger."

Elegant Escape has proven a model of consistency since being switched to fences and with soft conditions expected to suit, a big run is being predicted for the Colin Tizzard-trained six-year-old.

Assistant trainer Joe Tizzard said: "I love the way the ground is looking - he's an out-and-out galloper.

"His Newbury form with Black Corton is as good as there is in this country and there is not masses between the Irish horses.

"He's a horse that's progressing all the time and he had a lovely confidence-booster at Exeter last time."

Paul Nicholls feels the emphasis on stamina will play into the hands of Black Corton, who will be bidding to claim an eighth victory under jockey Bryony Frost this season.

Nicholls said: "What I like about him is that, as you saw at Ascot, he jumped the last and was then gone - he took a bit of pulling up.

"He is really strong at the back-end of his races and that hill will suit him."

Comment

• Just WOW, from Presenting Percy, I was one who doubted him, congratulations to every one on here who was on at tasty prices, that was a stunning performance.

Comment

• Well he won extremely well. I was 100% wrong. Very well done to the winners. I can't believe how well he won. He's obviously alot better horse than I thought he was.

What price is he for next year's gold cup?

Happy to take all criticism

Comment

• Different class.

Lovely, athletic way of jumping, not a semblance of a mistake.

Second threw away a chance of a Festival win.

Comment

• Yeah im in the same thought here, i thought PP was the lay of the festival, boy how wrong was i.

I think we might just have seen the 2019 Gold Cup winner there, definately know he will stay all day

Comment

• Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
                      Different class.

Lovely, athletic way of jumping, not a semblance of a mistake.

Second threw away a chance of a Festival win.
                      Not sure I agree with the second statement as Monalee still looked a stayer to me, but the winner was different class and should run a nice race in the gold cup...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirbetalot View Post
                        Not sure I agree with the second statement as Monalee still looked a stayer to me, but the winner was different class and should run a nice race in the gold cup...
                        Even if you thought he was a stayer he has still got tonked.

Comment

• Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
                          Even if you thought he was a stayer he has still got tonked.
                          Yes we have all just seen PP is a classy animal but again the second was in the correct race, unless your a better judge than the owner, trainer & jockey??

But well done anyway...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirbetalot View Post
                            Yes we have all just seen PP is a classy animal but again the second was in the correct race, unless your a better judge than the owner, trainer & jockey??

But well done anyway...
                            So you don't think Monalee could have won a poor JLT? If you are disagreeing with me that is what you are saying.

I am not sure why you have mentioned all the connections as if they never make mistakes. If the owner had a large bet on the RSA it probably didn't matter what trainer and jockey thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                              Well he won extremely well. I was 100% wrong. Very well done to the winners. I can't believe how well he won. He's obviously alot better horse than I thought he was.

What price is he for next year's gold cup?

Happy to take all criticism
                              Hi all, new to the forum but been reading all the knowledgable posts so thank you and love the forum. I was just curious as to why you were so ultra confident, to the point of not even backing PP at 33/1 and above why it had no chance? Full appreciate, and very big of you to come in and hold your hands up as to the fact you got it wrong - we do in this game! No need to answer but was interested in your thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shuffdog View Post
                                Hi all, new to the forum but been reading all the knowledgable posts so thank you and love the forum. I was just curious as to why you were so ultra confident, to the point of not even backing PP at 33/1 and above why it had no chance? Full appreciate, and very big of you to come in and hold your hands up as to the fact you got it wrong - we do in this game! No need to answer but was interested in your thinking.
                                It was his run behind shattered love and jury duty where he diddnt travel with ease and made w few iffy mistakes. Also his run at punchestown over hurdles his 1st run in the top grade where he came nowhere. I had no respect for his win in the 3m4 handicap as the horses behind were awful.
                                And I thought he wouldnt jump well enough at pace.
                                He was very very good today.

Comment

Working...
                                X