Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

JLT Novices 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Mullins has said in the paper al Boum photo will have no problem up in trip and IO might have possibly been out stayed a touch.

Clear indication IO JLT and RSA for al boum ...
    You think either would reverse form with Monalee?

Comment

Mullins has said in the paper al Boum photo will have no problem up in trip and IO might have possibly been out stayed a touch.

Clear indication IO JLT and RSA for al boum ...
      Would make sense after there runs. But I'll trust whichever races Willie sends them to on the day. He will probably change his mind a few times inbetween.
      Last edited by Scooby91; 5 February 2018, 04:09 PM.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• If outstayed in the Flogas IO might not get up the hill in the JLT. He does have an Arkle entry.

Comment

• I'm surprised connections haven't given more consideration to the JLT to be honest for Monalee. In the RP today it again states de Bromhead saying

THE RSA Chase looks the obvious target
          He's just won the best novice chase of the season both sides of the sea at the JLT trip. The only horse I would really give consideration to against him now is Willoughby Court but you have to have Monalee ahead now.
          Who's left...

Benetar?
          Terrefort?
          Finians Oscar?
          Kemboy?
          Modus?
          Cyrname?

I think it will be ideal for him and it looks an easier race on paper than the RSA. You can argue his best form over hurdles was after stepping up to 3 miles but I think the switch to chasing has meant he can now operate at a very high level over the intermediate trip.

You also want a horse that stays in the JLT as well when looking back at the winners:

Yorkhill (Top Notch, Disko)
          Black Hercules (Bristel de Mai, L'Ami Serge)
          Vautour (Apache Stronghold, Valseur Lido)
          Taquin De Seuil (Uxizandre, Double Ross)
          Beneffiient (Dynaste, Changing Times)
          Sir des Champs (Champion Court, For Non Stop)

So the fact he should have no issues at up to 3 miles will be a positive for the race.

I really don't see him as a slogger which is the horse that generally wins an RSA.

Comment

• Originally posted by jono View Post
            I'm surprised connections haven't given more consideration to the JLT to be honest for Monalee. In the RP today it again states de Bromhead saying

He's just won the best novice chase of the season both sides of the sea at the JLT trip. The only horse I would really give consideration to against him now is Willoughby Court but you have to have Monalee ahead now.
            Who's left...

Benetar?
            Terrefort?
            Finians Oscar?
            Kemboy?
            Modus?
            Cyrname?

I think it will be ideal for him and it looks an easier race on paper than the RSA. You can argue his best form over hurdles was after stepping up to 3 miles but I think the switch to chasing has meant he can now operate at a very high level over the intermediate trip.

You also want a horse that stays in the JLT as well when looking back at the winners:

So the fact he should have no issues at up to 3 miles will be a positive for the race.

I really don't see him as a slogger which is the horse that generally wins an RSA.
            But I've backed him for the RSA jono, so less of that

Comment

• Originally posted by jono View Post
              I'm surprised connections haven't given more consideration to the JLT to be honest for Monalee. In the RP today it again states de Bromhead saying

Who's left...

Benetar?
              Terrefort?
              Finians Oscar?
              Kemboy?
              Modus?
              Cyrname?

Having spoken to you about this earlier today, I couldn't have put that better myself.... I actually feel like I'll have to go against him in the RSA because THIS is his trip. Obviously I consider Willoughby Court to be VERY similar in terms of being able to stay 3 but having the pace for 2 and a half

I also agree with archie that IO might struggle in the JLT if "outstayed" in the Flogas. I haven't got Invitation Only backed for this and I won't be... he just looks too short and price factors in too much of his colours/connections than he has achieved on form. HE is a good horse, but held at G1 level...

Comment

• Barry Geraghty on Sutton place , im suprised by this.

SUTTON PLACE*was disappointing in the Flogas Novice Chase. He couldn’t get into a jumping rhythm. He was struggling even before he made a bad mistake at the ditch.

He should have been finding it easier than he was finding it early on in the race. He was disappointing and there was no real reason why he should have been. Maybe he will jump better off better ground.*
                Last edited by Scooby91; 5 February 2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• That seems quite a left-field view from Barry! Surprised by that myself, I expected to hear something had gone wrong!

Supplement him for the stayers hurdle

Comment

Supplement him for the stayers hurdle
                    Now that I can get behing

Comment

• Translation of Barry G - I had a shocker on Sunday and couldn't get any horse going for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                        Translation of Barry G - I had a shocker on Sunday and couldn't get any horse going for me.
                        Yes, ditto a large number of Barry's rides since he took the retainer.

Comment

• HRI updated ratings:

155 Monalee
                          153 Al Boum Photo
                          152 Invitation Only
                          151 Dounikos
                          149 Snow Falcon
                          147 Tombstone
                          147 The Storyteller
                          145 Kemboy

Comment

• I was so close to backing for day 1 then but Phil will add 1lb surely!?

Comment

• To be honest, Kev, I haven't a clue. Part of me thinks he's very well in but Willie has said he deserves his chance in graded company. It would be in Willie's nature to give him an entry for the handicap because if Phil does his usual we'd probably get our entry fee back.

My own sneaky plan would be to enter for the Coral and Pipe from an Irish rating of 142.

Comment

• Nicky Henderson will make a decision nearer the time over the participation of Grade One winner Terrefort at next month's Cheltenham Festival.

The five-year-old made it two from two since joining Henderson when giving owners Simon Munir and Isaac Souede a fourth successive victory in the Scilly Isles Novices' Chase at Sandown last Saturday.

Although the former Guillaume Macaire-trained gelding holds entries in both the RSA and JLT, Henderson has warned he could swerve both contests.

He said: "It was a good display at Sandown. He knew what he was doing and he jumped very well.

"He is only five and he must have soft ground. We have talked about Cheltenham very briefly. He doesn't have to go to there this year. We are sitting on the fence a little bit. He has won a Grade One this season.

"They (owners) are very good and they see that Cheltenham is not the be-all and end-all. They have got a good, strong team of horses to go to Cheltenham with.

"He has surprised us a lot and, in which case, it might just be worth looking after him a bit."

Comment

Working...
                                X