Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cross Country Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I’m gonna have to do a Presenting Percy/Tiger Roll double as that currently would represent a bit of a wounding Wednesday!

Comment

• Another good mention on Cause of Causes from Elliott today. Lovely

The remarkable Cause Of Causes will bid for his fourth Festival success in the Glenfarclass cross-country chase.

The 10-year-old won the same event last season, to go with his wins in the National Hunt Chase and the the Kim Muir, before going on to finish second in the Grand National at Aintree.

Elliott said: "He's in great form and obviously he's a stable favourite.

"If he could go back and win for a fourth time in Cheltenham, that would mean more than any winner, I suppose.

"He loves a bit of sun on his back and the older he's getting he seems to like a bit better ground.

"Cheltenham and the Grand National have been the plan all year."

Comment

• and nothing on Tiger Roll....

Happy days.

I think people have gotten way, way, way too overboard with the comparision between TR and COC's preps for this race because of COC's last season...

I think they hold COC in much higher regard and will be absolutely wounded if that isn't the case. I'm annoyed that I had a "saver" on COC the closer we get.

Of all the things I will get wrong for the rest of my life... I hope THIS is not one of them

Comment

• So I mentioned on another thread about some info (not ground breaking) about Vinndication running in the Ballymore from a close friend of mine who is friends with one of the owners (I know but bear with me), well I've also been told about something else relevant to this race of more interest I think. So also trained by Kim Bailey is Last Samurai who apparently had a trot round the Cheltenham cross-country fences last week (just like CoC, TR et al the other week) and is apparently coming here.

If you were to look on oddschecker you would probably think that was highly unlikely as he isn't even listed. However I recall him being listed with Bet 365 some time ago I think originally at 8s, he is still on their list but now into 5s. He is available on the exchange last matched at 10.5. My close friend has been told to back him along with Vinndication so they obviously feel he has a chance. So those with much more knowledge than me what do we think his chances are in this?

Comment

• Good information RC.

Personally, I couldn't back a horse in this who hasn't been round the course before (not including racecourse gallops). I think it's one of the few races where this is essential. On the flip side, he'd probably be top rated if he did run.

Comment

• Thanks for the info RC - much appreciated. I do remember seeing him listed a while back on oddschecker and thinking it came out the blue.

He clearly still holds plenty of ability but personally at 5/1 I think it's a crazy price. I would have expected at least 20/1 for him myself. He may have had a schooling session round there but he's not raced over the course and he's only ever had the 1 run (last time out in the Cotswold Chase - 4th) at Cheltenham so it's not like he's got form of the track or festival.

Big fan of Vinndication though

Comment

• His ability certainly would put him into the mix that's for sure R-C. I haven't even considered him for the race but he could be dropped in midfield go wide to avoid the traffic follow the field to ensure he takes the right course!! and then go to front after the last and run on to win . He is stamina laden. I am concerned.

Comment

• Thanks both as somebody on the Coc/TR axis than makes me feel better. I did say to my pal that 5/1 seemed to me very short. My other comment was if they were having a serious tilt at this wouldn't they have requested prices from other bookies before now? As I said he's been up with Bet365 for quite a while I think.

Posted before reading your comment Big Fish...haha!

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                    Good information RC.

Personally, I couldn't back a horse in this who hasn't been round the course before (not including racecourse gallops). I think it's one of the few races where this is essential. On the flip side, he'd probably be top rated if he did run.
                    Originally posted by jono View Post
                    Thanks for the info RC - much appreciated. I do remember seeing him listed a while back on oddschecker and thinking it came out the blue.

He clearly still holds plenty of ability but personally at 5/1 I think it's a crazy price. I would have expected at least 20/1 for him myself. He may have had a schooling session round there but he's not raced over the course and he's only ever had the 1 run (last time out in the Cotswold Chase - 4th) at Cheltenham so it's not like he's got form of the track or festival.

Big fan of Vinndication though
                    To play devil's advocate... I think all 3 of us (possibly not FM) ... but jono and I we're incredibly strong with the opinion Cause of Causes couldn't win the Cross County having "schooled there" ...

The difference is he had the 1 go at it before that where he was nowhere....

5/1 is a pathetic price, when the reigning champion is only 10/3 though

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      To play devil's advocate... I think all 3 of us (possibly not FM) ... but jono and I we're incredibly strong with the opinion Cause of Causes couldn't win the Cross County having "schooled there" ...

The difference is he had the 1 go at it before that where he was nowhere....

5/1 is a pathetic price, when the reigning champion is only 10/3 though
                      I was in the 'CoC can't win the 2017 XC' camp. *Shudders*

Comment

Me too Now i'm in the CoC can't lose the 2018 XC camp

Well not can't. Just won't.

Comment

At least this time I admit Tiger Roll can win -

Or do I?

CAUSE OF CAUSES A HORSE OF A LIFETIME

Comment

• "He loves a bit of sun on his back and the older he's getting he seems to like a bit better ground."

Gordon clearly hasn't seen the weather forecast.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                              "He loves a bit of sun on his back and the older he's getting he seems to like a bit better ground."

Gordon clearly hasn't seen the weather forecast.

Comment

• Lots of snow to come this week. Plenty of rain the week after being forecast. Don’t think they’d run COC in to soft/heavy ground! They’d tuck him away for the National! Another worry ��

Comment

Working...
                                X