Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Stayers Hurdle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tenty View Post
    I think it is a general reluctance to pick one of his own but I would also be surprised if Sam Spinner got beat.
    Fair to say that Sam Spinner has impressed this season but I couldn't apply certainty status to any horse who has yet to visit Gloucestershire.
    He's clearly improved for the step up but, like every pretender, needs to prove he travels on quicker ground at a pace never experienced before on a course with unique dips and undulations, if (or when) they run in the Cleeve and he gags up then I'll review that statement....

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
      Fair to say that Sam Spinner has impressed this season but I couldn't apply certainty status to any horse who has yet to visit Gloucestershire.
      He's clearly improved for the step up but, like every pretender, needs to prove he travels on quicker ground at a pace never experienced before on a course with unique dips and undulations, if (or when) they run in the Cleeve and he gags up then I'll review that statement....

He goes straight there.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
        He goes straight there.
        That would be a huge concern for me if I was a backer.
        The trainer has 30 odd NH wins in 17 seasons and I can't recall a single runner of his seen at the festival, does he know what it takes to win a championship race at Cheltenham ?
        I appreciate that until they break their duck that question applies to them all but 17 years of training NH horses at an average of 2 winners a year, there's enough doubt there for me.
        I genuinely hope this thing is the next star because the division needs one, but I'm not convinced...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
          That would be a huge concern for me if I was a backer.
          The trainer has 30 odd NH wins in 17 seasons and I can't recall a single runner of his seen at the festival, does he know what it takes to win a championship race at Cheltenham ?
          I appreciate that until they break their duck that question applies to them all but 17 years of training NH horses at an average of 2 winners a year, there's enough doubt there for me.
          I genuinely hope this thing is the next star because the division needs one, but I'm not convinced...
          Dosent make a difference to me personally who the trainer is if the horse is good enough he's good enough.
          I know mullins henderson elliot etc.. have the most winners but they have far more ammo and the plus of having the contacts and reccomendations and the owners to pay the money.

Comment

• According to the racing post Finians Oscar could be reverting to hurdles

Tizzard is quoted saying this is the aim.

20/1 or 12/1 nrnb
            Last edited by Faugheen_Machine; 9 January 2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
              According to the racing post Finians Oscar could be reverting to hurdles
              Not a surprise to me at all

Comment

• The clowning about they’ve done with that horse is something else

Comment

• Anyone know what Pricewise went for in this race?

Hard to glean from oddschecker. There look to be bits of money for Finian’s Oscar. Change of plan?

Comment

• Sorry, beat me to the punch ^^^^^^

Comment

• "We're going to switch back to hurdles for the rest of the season, with the aim being to run in the Stayers' Hurdle," said trainer Colin Tizzard. "He jumps fences adequately but I don't think he's that brave.

"If he doesn't nearly win the Cleeve we might go back to the RSA or JLT – and it might not hurt him to have a run over hurdles before returning to fences in any case – but the Cleeve and the Stayers' is our view and what will probably happen.

"I need to look after him. I don't want to run him in a big race over fences at Cheltenham when there's a possibility he could shake them up in the Stayers' Hurdle. On last season's hurdles form you'd have to think he could be a major contender as well."

Tizzard, who said he plans to enter only Finian's Oscar in the Stayers', added: "I'm sure at the moment all trainers are keeping all their options open.

"I don't think for one minute the Stayers' will be an easy race, but there's also no reason why any number of horses won't switch back from fences to have a go at it. Once a horse goes chasing he doesn't have to stay chasing for the rest of his life."

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                        "We're going to switch back to hurdles for the rest of the season, with the aim being to run in the Stayers' Hurdle," said trainer Colin Tizzard. "He jumps fences adequately but I don't think he's that brave.

"If he doesn't nearly win the Cleeve we might go back to the RSA or JLT – and it might not hurt him to have a run over hurdles before returning to fences in any case – but the Cleeve and the Stayers' is our view and what will probably happen.

"I need to look after him. I don't want to run him in a big race over fences at Cheltenham when there's a possibility he could shake them up in the Stayers' Hurdle. On last season's hurdles form you'd have to think he could be a major contender as well."

Tizzard, who said he plans to enter only Finian's Oscar in the Stayers', added: "I'm sure at the moment all trainers are keeping all their options open.

"I don't think for one minute the Stayers' will be an easy race, but there's also no reason why any number of horses won't switch back from fences to have a go at it. Once a horse goes chasing he doesn't have to stay chasing for the rest of his life."
                        ‘I need to look after him’. ‘If he doesn’t nearly win the cleeve we might go back RSA or JLT’

The guy is a clown. Why not try him over cross country fences as well

Comment

• I said at the time i feared they were ruining the horse by running him in that 2m chase. They have really messed him about this season

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbante View Post
                            ‘I need to look after him’. ‘If he doesn’t nearly win the cleeve we might go back RSA or JLT’

The guy is a clown. Why not try him over cross country fences as well
                            I rated tizzard last year but I think his campaigning of horses has been awful this year. He has some really strange ways of looking at things.

Finians dosent even want 3 miles over hurdles for a start we have seen against bacardys what will happen . Hes gone from 2m chasing to now thinking hes a 3 mile hurdler. You either run him in the jlt / rsa and you could come back for the aintree hurdle if there was an issue. How dumb is he going to look if benatar goes close in the jlt
                            Last edited by Scooby91; 9 January 2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I rated tizzard last year but I think his campaigning of horses has been awful this year. He has some really strange ways of looking at things.
                              No finer example of how he’s campaigned Finians and Vision Des Flos. He just seems out of his depth, maybe he was blessed with top horses at their peak last year. Now he’s been given a crop of good youngsters he doesn’t seem to have a clue. Slate House another example really, his planning seems really poor

Comment

Finians dosent even want 3 miles over hurdles for a start we have seen against bacardys what will happen . Hes gone from 2m chasing to now thinking hes a 3 mile hurdler. You either run him in the jlt / rsa and you could come back for the aintree hurdle if there was an issue. How dumb is he going to look if benatar goes close in the jlt
                                Couldn’t agree more. I think his performance last time out was decent, I rate Benatar who won’t be far off in the JLT. The JLT was the race for Finians this year and he should have been campaigned accordingly. Even now I think he’d have a top chance if going there

Comment

Working...
                                X