Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tempted to cash Min for profit but it just isn't my thing.

They hold Douvan in such high regard that if he makes it back (seems likely). Then they will switch Min as believe Douvan has the better chance against Altior.

Comment

• Douvan won’t run this season...

Comment

• And the point of tomorrow's entry was?

Comment

• You tell me?!

My point being... They can’t quiet get Douvan fit enough to run. How many times have we seen this

Saw the same last year with Annie Power and Faugheen, horse doing wel, should be good to go, entered, need them to run well in remaining prep work, ohhh no here we again.... not happy, pulled from the race

Douvan won’t run at the festival, and I’d continue to say it.... he won’t run this season

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbante View Post
            "Douvan's also entered for the Ryanair Chase but the Champion Chase has always been the plan and that remains the situation”. From Willie, really tough one to call
            The fact Willie had mentioned the Ryanair to me there means it's a lot more likely than any other point this season.

I personally don't expect he'll run ... HOWEVER
            If he does ill expect to see him in the Ryanair with the statement ...'Min deserves another crack at Altior and Douvan had always settled so well in his races. It's a tough ask to win ba CC on first run on the season ' ... or they'll say he is fit but not sparking, before putting in a Vautour-like display.

Douvan NRNB for the Ryanair is a must IMO.

Isn't it strange how we read comments!

I have to add that I hope Douvan runs so much, whichever race. Absolute star of the game, regardless of how the betting is affected.
            Last edited by Kevloaf; 16 February 2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Ina simplistic view, it’s not surprising they have decided against running him for the first time 11 months on heavy ground

Comment

• Has any horse made his seasonal debut in a Championship G1 at Cheltenham and won? I can't think of one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                  Ina simplistic view, it’s not surprising they have decided against running him for the first time 11 months on heavy ground
                  Made sense to me, but that doesn't fit the conspiracy/drama narrative

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                    Has any horse made his seasonal debut in a Championship G1 at Cheltenham and won? I can't think of one.
                    Quevega?

Couldn't even name a horse to try in the championship events let alone win.

Not many horses had the string of 1's up to their name that Douvan has though if he did attempt it?

Altior would have been fav to do it this year though too... very strange season?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      Quevega?

Couldn't even name a horse to try in the championship events let alone win.

Not many horses had the string of 1's up to their name that Douvan has though if he did attempt it?

Altior would have been fav to do it this year though too... very strange season?!
                      Yeah. It's going to be a tough ask but I'd also take the 4/1nrnb and trust WPM to get him there fit enough to do himself justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                        Yeah. It's going to be a tough ask but I'd also take the 4/1nrnb and trust WPM to get him there fit enough to do himself justice.
                        I haven't taken 4/1 just yet... I see 10bet are 5/1 NRNB although not sure how much they'd take and if I trust them to be able to pay out - I rememebr not too long ago the bookies that Harry Redknapp was all-over the face of, went bump and didn't poay out after the festival (fortunately happened to my friend, not me)

9/1 with the poker company

I might wait until tomorrow and see how impressive the winner of the Ascot Chase is.... I can't see any situation where Douvan shortens and perhaps may drift with one of the major firms if something looks special?

I do agree with somebody above though too, that UDS, Yorkhill and Douvan turning up in this race is the least likely combination I can imagine!

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that Douvan runs..... but I will be taking 4/1 or bigger tomorrow NRNB (although I do have my 4 pts at 11/4 any race that would be resurrected from my "non-runner" pile that I've already counted!

Comment

I haven't taken 4/1 just yet... I see 10bet are 5/1 NRNB although not sure how much they'd take and if I trust them to be able to pay out - I rememebr not too long ago the bookies that Harry Redknapp was all-over the face of, went bump and didn't poay out after the festival (fortunately happened to my friend, not me)

9/1 with the poker company

I might wait until tomorrow and see how impressive the winner of the Ascot Chase is.... I can't see any situation where Douvan shortens and perhaps may drift with one of the major firms if something looks special?

I do agree with somebody above though too, that UDS, Yorkhill and Douvan turning up in this race is the least likely combination I can imagine!

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that Douvan runs..... but I will be taking 4/1 or bigger tomorrow NRNB (although I do have my 4 pts at 11/4 any race that would be resurrected from my "non-runner" pile that I've already counted!
                          10bet are fine. I use their slots a bit, and never had any problems.

Comment

The fact Willie had mentioned the Ryanair to me there means it's a lot more likely than any other point this season.

I personally don't expect he'll run ... HOWEVER
                            If he does ill expect to see him in the Ryanair with the statement ...'Min deserves another crack at Altior and Douvan had always settled so well in his races. It's a tough ask to win ba CC on first run on the season ' ... or they'll say he is fit but not sparking, before putting in a Vautour-like display.

Douvan NRNB for the Ryanair is a must IMO.

Isn't it strange how we read comments!

I have to add that I hope Douvan runs so much, whichever race. Absolute star of the game, regardless of how the betting is affected.
                            I’d take Willie at face value. All this nonsense about deliberately deceiving punters seems to me to be just that. He says it how he sees it at the time, without thinking too deeply about how all his other horses slot in. Nothing will be decided til the 48 hour decs and will be dependent on how the horses are working in the lead up. As punters we just have to cover most options, why to me min 12/1 nrnb champion hurdle is a no brainer. I hope Douvan, Yorkhill etc all run, will make the festival a far better spectacle

Comment

• Willie Mullins would have no qualms about Douvan and Min taking each other on in the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase.

Speaking at Gowran Park, the champion trainer said he had no regrets about not running Douvan in the Red Mills Chase won by Our Duke and he will now head straight to the Cheltenham Festival.

Min has been in terrific form this season, winning at the Dublin Racing Festival having lost a Grade One in the stewards' room over Christmas.

"I've no regrets about not running, although when I worked him on the gallop this morning myself and Ruby (Walsh) looked at each other and said 'should we be in Gowran' but we just said no, we were happy we'd made the right decision," Mullins told At The Races.

"If that (Red Mills) was anywhere else this weekend I wouldn't have entered him, it was just on the doorstep. A lot of people were wondering if it was because it was two and a half miles, but it hadn't even dawned on me it was two and a half miles, it wasn't three miles.

"I'd have no problem running Douvan over two and a half miles, it would be no bother to him.

"We (Rich Ricci, owner) spoke about the possibility of running him and Min in the Queen Mother and we said it would be a nice problem to have if it comes around.

"To me, the two of them are two-milers. Douvan is nicely on course for the race but Min is unbeaten this season so he has to go there.

"I can't see us putting Douvan in the Ryanair, so it's not ideal and an owner would like to divide his horses, but sometimes it's no harm having a reserve.

"That's their trip and to me that's what they should go for."

Still wouldn't trust Mullins 100% but I totally agree that both should be in the race, more so Min as he has nothing to prove..

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirbetalot View Post
                                Still wouldn't trust Mullins 100% but I totally agree that both should be in the race, more so Min as he has nothing to prove..
                                Agreed. For a whole year they were sending Vautour to the Gold Cup and then on Tuesday morning on live tele Rich Ricci told everyone they had switched to the Ryanair.

I can see one of them heading to the Ryanair if Waiting Patiently isn’t declared.

Comment

Working...
                                X