Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by archie View Post
    They have more history than Gibbon.

Comment

• Douvan out for the season hurts a tad

Comment

• Originally posted by billymag View Post
        Keep backing Min guys, Altior terrible price Min will walk this for me.
        I'll debate this until I am blue in the 'fingers'.

I can't see a reason on form (hurdles OR chasing) that puts Min ahead.

I'd rather have Hendo training my two miler chaser than Mullins

Min has got to PROVE he is at Altior's level, not the other way round, so at 3/1 (when you can get 13/8 on Altior) I think that is a terrible price

Altior won't win on the bridle, but he'll win pulling away. He is a potential superstar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          I'll debate this until I am blue in the 'fingers'.

I can't see a reason on form (hurdles OR chasing) that puts Min ahead.

I'd rather have Hendo training my two miler chaser than Mullins

Min has got to PROVE he is at Altior's level, not the other way round, so at 3/1 (when you can get 13/8 on Altior) I think that is a terrible price

Altior won't win on the bridle, but he'll win pulling away. He is a potential superstar.
          I would say Min jumps a fence a lot better than Altior, more fluent and efficiently. Add that into the fact he got the injury during the supreme and rumors of a wind op after too. Not saying he'd beat an on song altior but with his prep not being great then Min looks a fair bet.

Comment

• Originally posted by SAMCRO View Post
            I would say Min jumps a fence a lot better than Altior, more fluent and efficiently. Add that into the fact he got the injury during the supreme and rumors of a wind op after too. Not saying he'd beat an on song altior but with his prep not being great then Min looks a fair bet.
            Actual jumping technique isn't my strongest suit but I've never had any reason whatsoever to think Altior is going to be losing lengths at a fence, certainly to my admittidly untrained eye, they both looked to take to chasing well...so the perceived improvement that Min had for going chasing, I'd argue Altior improved AT LEAST as much when he went chasing and his win in open company before the Arkle proved he was superb.

The injury during the race doesn't mean he'd have won the race, I think that gets over-played and in fairness its just impossible to put a distance to how much it affected him, we will never know... but I'd rather be in the camp that isn't needing the excuse than the one that is... at the current price I just don't think Min is a great bet. I think factoring ALL of the things that would need to go Min's way, like Altior not having a great prep, Min improving past him etc, that I'd want a bigger price than he is.

I don't expect Min will get any bigger in price though, so in terms of what the SP of both horses would be, I can see a point.... but all that will happen for me personally is the closer they are in the betting, the more I'll think Altior's price is a gift...

Only an idiot wouldn't change their mind in light of new evidence, and I'll have no problem holding my hands up if Altior does get beaten.... but I don't think the price of Min now is worth that gamble, when Altior is odds against. If Altior was a 1/2 shot, I'd think Min was a better betting prospect.

Comment

• Take a look at photos of Min hurdling and chasing. As a hurdler he was angular to the point of being narrow. He was also quite nervy which may be a reason for the physical immaturity. Watching him win his first chase at Navan I was really struck by how much he'd matured both physically and mentally and I was fairly confident that he would get much closer to Altior in the Arkle but not knowing if he'd get close enough. As the race turned out, I suspect that he would have got very close and having seen him live at Closutton and on TV on track, I think that that maturity has gone on.
              Given Altior's problem, and if he doesn't race before March it must be worse than reported, there is no way that I'd want to back him at the current price but neither do I think that Min is worth backing until NRNB.

Comment

• The vibes seem good about Altior and I expect him to have a prep run before the CC.

I wouldn't back either of them at current prices either until nrnb comes into play.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                  Take a look at photos of Min hurdling and chasing. As a hurdler he was angular to the point of being narrow. He was also quite nervy which may be a reason for the physical immaturity. Watching him win his first chase at Navan I was really struck by how much he'd matured both physically and mentally and I was fairly confident that he would get much closer to Altior in the Arkle but not knowing if he'd get close enough. As the race turned out, I suspect that he would have got very close and having seen him live at Closutton and on TV on track, I think that that maturity has gone on.
                  Given Altior's problem, and if he doesn't race before March it must be worse than reported, there is no way that I'd want to back him at the current price but neither do I think that Min is worth backing until NRNB.
                  Can't disagree with any of that archie.

Also agree FM that neither are a betting prospect now.

Let's just hope we actually see this clash!

Comment

• Min favourite on the exchange now with Altior out to 4.0.

Someone on twitter yesterday asking if altior had started any light exercise and Henderson replied saying hes currently being hand walked twice a day.

Comment

Min favourite on the exchange now with Altior out to 4.0.

Someone on twitter yesterday asking if altior had started any light exercise and Henderson replied saying hes currently being hand walked twice a day.

Now that is interesting . There enough there for me to have a decent bet at 4.0 which I wasn't expecting. Looks far too good to be true. Very tempting but I don't understand who would lay that and who would be backing politologue and min in the same market at very short
                      Something deffinately isn't right
                      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Min favourite on the exchange now with Altior out to 4.0.

That's a mighty drift on Altior isn't it?

Min versus politilogue at this rate

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                          Now that is interesting . There enough there for me to have a decent bet at 4.0 which I wasn't expecting. Looks far too good to be true. Very tempting but I don't understand who would lay that and who would be backing politologue and min in the same market at very short
                          Something deffinately isn't right
                          Something definitely isn't right but going large on altior at 4.0 is not what my reaction would be. How long does it take to fully tune up a horse? still being hand walked at this time surely is not a good sign?

Comment

• No reaction from the bookies.

Comment

Something definitely isn't right but going large on altior at 4.0 is not what my reaction would be. How long does it take to fully tune up a horse? still being hand walked at this time surely is not a good sign?
                              I wouldn't worry about him still being hand walked now at all plenty of time. The pruce suggests something more. Or someone took that too seriously. I'm very very tempted to take it all. As I know someone else will. But will it get bigger? And if it does I'd be seriously worried.
                              https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                              Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• I'd fancy Min for this if Altior turns up with no prep. Min front running attacking his fences like he does will put pressure on Altiors over Exuberant jumping and i think he will be in trouble a long way out.

Comment

Working...
                                X