Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Arkle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
    Who was it who originally put him up? . Deserves some credit.
    I honestly think footpad at 33s the better bet though
    Brital mentioned him first which made me look in to him and make the case on here. I imagine he backed him at the same time (25th October!)
    Was still 100/1 6th Jan

It has been brought up before

Haha, choosing between the two is one of those 'good problems'

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      Brital mentioned him first which made me look in to him and make the case on here. I imagine he backed him at the same time (25th October!)
      Was still 100/1 6th Jan

It has been brought up before

Haha, choosing between the two is one of those 'good problems'
      just been looking at PM form figures again, its won on soft and probably would have won on heavy but for falling in the fighting fifth. Its drifting badly now but I still think its got the class to win this, also nicky henderson walked the course and doesnt think its that bad

Comment

• Originally posted by rule the world View Post
        just been looking at PM form figures again, its won on soft and probably would have won on heavy but for falling in the fighting fifth. Its drifting badly now but I still think its got the class to win this, also nicky henderson walked the course and doesnt think its that bad
        sorry, it was soft in the fighting fifth, ran once on heavy and was 3rd to long dog, that doesnt look good.

Comment

• "It should be a fabulous race and with Saint Calvados, there should be a lot of pace," said assistant trainer Patrick Mullins.

"Our horse handles the soft ground and stays further than two (miles) and, touch wood, looks a very natural jumper. He is in great form at home and will be very hard to beat. We are versatile regarding tactics as well.

"He was just below top-class as a hurdler, but he jumps fences so well and has improved enormously over them. He has had a nice prep and he could be top-class over fences."

Henry de Bromhead remains optimistic that Petit Mouchoir can turn the tables on Footpad, having finished second behind him in last month's Irish Arkle at Leopardstown.

He told Racing UK: "He was very fresh in the ring in Leopardstown and we had to actually pull him out of the ring before they went out.

"He was just a bit fresh and forward-going for those first couple of fences and made a couple of stupid mistakes, but I thought his jumping was brilliant after that and Davy (Russell) was happy.

"One thing we do know is over hurdles we were fortunate enough to beat Footpad a few times. There are plenty of other horses in the race as well, but obviously he's the hot favourite.

"I'm sure we have a chance of turning the form around, but we'll see."

Fronting the English challenge is Grade Two winner Saint Calvados, who will be bidding to give trainer Harry Whittington his first winner at the meeting.

He said: "I'm very pleased with him and his work has been excellent. He looks fantastic and he seems to be thriving.

"He is a joy to train and looks to have improved again for the Kingmaker. He is very exciting.

"He's very well and I couldn't be happier with him. Everything is done now. He schooled brilliantly on Thursday under Aidan Coleman, so it's all systems go."

Nicky Henderson fears soft ground may compromise the chance of Brain Power getting back to winning ways and providing him with a seventh victory in the race he has won previously with the likes of Sprinter Sacre and Altior.

"Brain Power has been forgotten for the Arkle. Nothing went right for him at Sandown as we didn't want to make the running with him so that was a bit of a disaster," said the Seven Barrows trainer.

"We then went to Ascot for the Clarence House and I wasn't saying we were going to beat Un De Sceaux, but what I wanted was a really good gallop.

"He was going great until he came out of Swinley Bottom and up the hill and he just choked. That was his palate and he's been cauterized and he's galloped well since. He's a very talented horse - seriously talented.

"The ground would be a concern. I'd be hopeful. He will love the pace of the race and that is the one thing he will have in his favour."

The field is completed by the Nigel Twiston-Davies trained Robinshill.
          https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
          Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Superb from Footpad.

Not sure what Russell was doing. Destroyed Saint Calvados but nothing in the tank.

Comment

• Footpad won so comfortably even with an error which suggests they went far too quick up front there, would expect better from top class jockeys with setting the right fractions

Comment

• Well played lads, happy with my 12/1 PM in plenty of bets too placing and had Footpad covered plenty enough too so can be happy with that result.

Congrats on the winners, I know many were on Footpad at big prices on here

Comment

• Hopefully a few of you were on footpad for earlier in the season. I was pretty sure he was going to win but such a relief when he goes in. What ever happens now I'm happy.

Comment

Hopefully a few of you were on footpad for earlier in the season. I was pretty sure he was going to win but such a relief when he goes in. What ever happens now I'm happy.
                    Well played Scooby. Did you get the wheel barrow?

Comment

Hopefully a few of you were on footpad for earlier in the season. I was pretty sure he was going to win but such a relief when he goes in. What ever happens now I'm happy.
                      Had Footpad 16/1 to win any race, can’t fathom now how he was ever that price

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanh97 View Post
                        Well played Scooby. Did you get the wheel barrow?
                        Im in profit for the entire festival put it that way. Thanks to 33/1 16/1 any race As put up on here so hopefully 1 or 2 followed me in. Such a relief.
                        Everyone on here has some very good bets so if it's not today it will come good.
                        Last edited by Scooby91; 13 March 2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robbante View Post
                          Footpad won so comfortably even with an error which suggests they went far too quick up front there, would expect better from top class jockeys with setting the right fractions
                          That’s what I saw. I have no idea how to rate th at race. Brainpower doesn’t go well on that ground.

Comment

• I thought Davy Russell let himself down in this, and PM backers, I was delighted to see them crack on being on FP, but I would be annoyed if I was on either of the front runners, they've raced on bad ground often enough this season to get the pace right

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                              I thought Davy Russell let himself down in this, and PM backers, I was delighted to see them crack on being on FP, but I would be annoyed if I was on either of the front runners, they've raced on bad ground often enough this season to get the pace right
                              Totally agree FP done well to win but saying that PM & SC just cut each others necks, just looking at the second place horse tells you it wasn't a true run race.

Not saying FP wouldn't have beaten them anyway but them two going off like that just made it a one horse race..

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                                I thought Davy Russell let himself down in this, and PM backers, I was delighted to see them crack on being on FP, but I would be annoyed if I was on either of the front runners, they've raced on bad ground often enough this season to get the pace right
                                As someone who was on PM from a very early stage I would have to disagree. PM is best from the front IMO, if he gets good ground (which he didn't yesterday) I think he stays on better than he did. I'd love to see a good ground race between the pair, as I think he goes a lot closer than yesterdays result, and would definitely have finished ahead of Brain Power.

It shows the gulf in class when Saint Calvados, who is a soft ground merchant couldn't go with Petit Mouchoir, who would have disliked that ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X