Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Arkle 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robante View Post
    Thanks. Could be a dark horse for this race but more likely to go over a trip I guess, Henderson will have some nice novice chasers this year and River Wylde looks a more likely fit for the Arkle
    Very much looking forward to River Wylde.

25-1 on offer very tempting for a Supreme 3rd and Henderson novice chaser.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      I put a free bet on Movewiththetimes for this at 25/1 last night. Vague thinking that Nicholls is better with chasers and he wouldn't need a mass of improvement on his run behind Ballyandy to be a contender in this race, as it looks at the moment
      Due to run in a novice chase at Newton Abbot on Friday over 2 miles, Geraghty already jocked up. Has the look of being a much better chaser

Comment

• Originally posted by Innoko View Post
        Very much looking forward to River Wylde.

25-1 on offer very tempting for a Supreme 3rd and Henderson novice chaser.
        I had 0.5 pts on that a few weeks back. Expecting a polished performance....

Where is Nico?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          I had 0.5 pts on that a few weeks back. Expecting a polished performance....

Where is Nico?
          Where's he entered? Can't find it anywhere?

Comment

• Originally posted by Innoko View Post
            Where's he entered? Can't find it anywhere?
            Nowhere, sorry that wasn't clear. I meant "as a novice for Hendo, I expect a polished first performance over fences and certain improvement" .... was being lazy!

I am still so keen for Finian's Oscar to come here and wrap the race up

Comment

• Tizzard already talking of pulling him out at Chepstow if no soft in the going description. Must be a slow old boat.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                Tizzard already talking of pulling him out at Chepstow if no soft in the going description. Must be a slow old boat.
                Haha maybe!

The water pistols will be at the ready for the Tuesday though

Comment

• I know I have already brought this up, but I can't seem to put an AP bet on currently without including Petit Mouchoir, a horse who is now included in approx. 60% of my AP bets to date, a few weeks back I hadn't even given him a 2nd thought, just want reassurance I am not going mad?

I have checked through the stats (mostly on Gaulstats), and I don't see many, if any, major negatives, provided of course, like all of them in the market really, that he can jump a fence, but we could say that about the majority of horses over both hurdles and fences at this current time!

As a few have pointed out, the market itself, on the whole, looks a weak one, and I know a few on here are hoping Finian's Oscar turns up in this race, due to the lack of depth in it, but regardless of if he does or not Petit Mouchoir's hurdles form is far greater than them all, with the exception of Yanworth, who IMO, needs a trip in excess of 2m 4f minimum.

I know it's a dangerous game, going in on one horse in particular, although he is more so in multiples, so bets wouldn't be dead if something did happen but obviously it's got to a point now where it would be a big blow personally should he not turn up for this.

Where does everyone stand on this race currently?

Comment

• PM for me, highest rated hurdler going chasing is usually the place you need to start. I havent seen a stable tour yet with Henry DB but Im assuming hes going chasing, if thats the case looks well overpriced!

Comment

• i'd be concerned about backing a novice chaser who has spent 2 seasons over hurdles, also with owners comments of possibly stepping up in trip.

I cant bring myself to back him for some reason!

Comment

• Originally posted by SAMCRO View Post
                        i'd be concerned about backing a novice chaser who has spent 2 seasons over hurdles, also with owners comments of possibly stepping up in trip.

I cant bring myself to back him for some reason!
                        I'm with you on this one, I like my Novice chasers to have only spent one season over hurdles.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                          I'm with you on this one, I like my Novice chasers to have only spent one season over hurdles.
                          I'm sure that I've read a pretty detailed article/post (Jono?) about the shockingly bad record for Chasers that had two seasons over hurdles. There are exceptions - but rarely do their Chase ratings reach the levels of their hurdle ratings

That would be the only thing putting my off backing PM...

Comment

• Guys,

Thank you all for your replies, and the second season hurdlers going chasing is something I did look into, my only counter to that is that Sizing Europe won the Arkle, he was a 3rd season hurdler, Petit Mouchoir is trained by the same trainer as Sizing Europe, a positive note, and also Un De Sceaux was a 2nd season hurdler who went on to win the race, whose sire (Denham Red) is Petit Mouchoir's Dam's Sire, something I'm hoping is a small postive back in the right direction, aside from that you are correct, the record isn't exactly appealing!

Comment

• My Way De Solzen also won the Arkle having spent the previous two years hurdling (won the Stayers hurdle). Well Chief was another, although he switched to fences parts way through the season.

Comment

• I'd be more concerned that they stepped him up in trip CoD, rather than the fact he spent an extra year over hurdles.

Comment

Working...
                                X