Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
    Our duke ran well but he dosent jump well enough at pace for me. And they'll go alot quicker in the GC. Also likely better ground is a negative, a little easier to get back into it on soft / heavy.
    He gets in too tight to his fences and at the top level he's loosing 2 lengths a fence, it wasn't noticeable in the Irish GN but was clear as day today

Comment

• Very happy with the comments about Killultagh Vic. Really happy.

I think JackieMoon is right, it was too early to know he'd have won and the stamina won't be known until the day ... however I'd certainly not like to be against him.

Comment

• I was hot headed when KV came down at the last as I had a largish bet on him for that race, but I am so glad he is fine, I still think he is a wonderful horse but shouldn't have been pitched in at the deep end, he only just came back from an injury after a year, put in an hurdle race then straight into a top class chase race like this, I think thats madness.

Anyway I will be doing KV each way for this all being well, not sure he'll beat Might Bite but should get a run for your money.

Comment

• KV will have a great chance in this as long as there is someone else riding Him bar Townend

I’m not a fan at all. So pleased when KV got up. It looked horrendous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            Very happy with the comments about Killultagh Vic. Really happy.

I think JackieMoon is right, it was too early to know he'd have won and the stamina won't be known until the day ... however I'd certainly not like to be against him.
            Agree, but I'd have every confidence he wouldn't have a problem with stamina, given he is sired by Old Vic, who has also produced 2 Grand National winners. He also doesn't lack the pace for a Gold Cup.

I'd love to see him win it now, what a story that would be.

Comment

• Sorry if it was discussed about 20 pages back but is there any chance that Total Recall might go here? He is currently my only bet for the National but I think if I owned him I might want to give it a go. It is a really puzzling year with a lack of quality but this is one of the few who have maintained an upward curve throughout the year. It would seem he would need to find 14-20lbs on the Whisper form but I am not sure that is impossible.

Any reason why Sizing John has shortened today?

Comment

• Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
                Sorry if it was discussed about 20 pages back but is there any chance that Total Recall might go here? He is currently my only bet for the National but I think if I owned him I might want to give it a go. It is a really puzzling year with a lack of quality but this is one of the few who have maintained an upward curve throughout the year. It would seem he would need to find 14-20lbs on the Whisper form but I am not sure that is impossible.

No idea. But his last race looks easy to write off now with djakadam putting up a good show at the weekend. And him coming in fresh.
                https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
                  Sorry if it was discussed about 20 pages back but is there any chance that Total Recall might go here? He is currently my only bet for the National but I think if I owned him I might want to give it a go. It is a really puzzling year with a lack of quality but this is one of the few who have maintained an upward curve throughout the year. It would seem he would need to find 14-20lbs on the Whisper form but I am not sure that is impossible.

If he pulled like he did last time he'd finish last... not anywhere near good enough in my opinion as he was getting too much weight from whisper to say he's superior and Whisper has loads to find composted to might bite on their RSA form.

Comment

• The more I look the more I like Road To Respect at 10/1 nrnb bog on a ratio of 1pt win, 1pt ew.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                      The more I look the more I like Road To Respect at 10/1 nrnb bog on a ratio of 1pt win, 1pt ew.
                      I'm currently sat here with 4 possibilities, Road To Respect being one, the other 3 are Might Bite, Our Duke & Killultagh Vic.

Such a tough race to crack, and given most of them have done their running now and are going straight to the festival doesn't make it any easier!

Comment

• Might Bite could be anything but rating him on 169 after the KG involves bumping Double Shuffle up from 151 to 166.

Killultagh Vic I like a lot but I'm not going to saddle Willie with my vote to win his first Gold Cup.

Our Duke is still a slow old boat who can give Presenting Percy a decent race in the Irish National as compensation for Cheltenham failure.

Comment

The more I look the more I like Road To Respect at 10/1 nrnb bog on a ratio of 1pt win, 1pt ew.
                          He is certainly an improved animal and looking like one for the shortlist but thee Mildmay/PLate is a graveyard for future winners.
                          There have been some very ordinary horses win the race and I can't think of one who has gone on to win a graded chase (Ballynagour won a graded hurdle in France) after winning this.
                          I've seen some average horses win this, New Halen, Mr McGoldrick, Old Bridge and plenty more, certainly can't recall anything that has gone on to run in a Gold Cup though I'm sure something has.
                          And although he has changed yards I can't see a Grade 3 handicap as a natural stepping stone to Gold Cup glory, unless Colm Murphy is as poor a judge as Henry De Bromhead was with Sizing John.

But all that said, he has proved himself this year...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                            He is certainly an improved animal and looking like one for the shortlist but thee Mildmay/PLate is a graveyard for future winners.
                            There have been some very ordinary horses win the race and I can't think of one who has gone on to win a graded chase (Ballynagour won a graded hurdle in France) after winning this.
                            I've seen some average horses win this, New Halen, Mr McGoldrick, Old Bridge and plenty more, certainly can't recall anything that has gone on to run in a Gold Cup though I'm sure something has.
                            And although he has changed yards I can't see a Grade 3 handicap as a natural stepping stone to Gold Cup glory, unless Colm Murphy is as poor a judge as Henry De Bromhead was with Sizing John.

But all that said, he has proved himself this year...
                            Not that important Ista but don't think colm Murphy trained road to respect
                            Eoin Griffin I think
                            Last edited by Liammet; 7 February 2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Might Bite could be anything but rating him on 169 after the KG involves bumping Double Shuffle up from 151 to 166.

Killultagh Vic I like a lot but I'm not going to saddle Willie with my vote to win his first Gold Cup.

Our Duke is still a slow old boat who can give Presenting Percy a decent race in the Irish National as compensation for Cheltenham failure.
                              Not the first time I've said this but I do NOT see how that is a negative...

Slow boats have won the Gold Cup in LOADS of renewals...

Lord Windemere, Syncronised, Bobs Worth to name just 3 in the last 6 seasons...
                              Coneygree also one paced, Don Cossack couldn't win a Ryanair or KG - and Sizing John's record at 3m is way way way better than shorter trips to round out all the last 6 renewals...

I am not saying a horse like Might Bite (who isn't a BOAT) can't win... but what I am saying is "slow boats" do WIN Gold Cups...

Comment

• Our Duke has needed and will need extreme distances to be seen to best advantage (although I do admit to using that particular phrase just for your benefit, Kev).
                                Last edited by archie; 8 February 2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X