Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Triumph Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    Well I'm fairly sure MF is the best of the Irish - DDS obviously the one to beat. Let's see what the Adoins throws up. If Chari Parcs run here he'll take some beating - he could be special, so much so, I'm tempted with 33/1 for the champion hurdle.

I also thought Cliffs of Dover was struggling to make the line up BC.
    ......next season's champion hurdle

Comment

8/1 each way for Mega Fortune is probably twice the price he'll be on the day? Certainly don't think Bapaume is a dead duck yet. Better ground could bring out improvement again and if the cheek pieces don't work as well for MF second time out, as well as the likely better ground not helping MF further... not a lot of juice in the price at 12s but not one I had written off!

Comment

I agree Kev, Bapaume made it into most of my early ante post multiples from his debut run, since then he has looked a solid option. Lets be honest, it wouldn't be the first time Bapaume has to turn around form, he done the same with the original so called JP 'good thing' when beating Landofhopeandglory in the Knight Frank at Leopardstown prior to that being beaten by the same horse on his debut.

I think the better ground (hopefully) will see Bapaume in better light and Mega Fortune less so (he's finished twice behind Bapaume on Good/Yielding), I certainly think it wouldn't be a race I'd want to go in on either again now until the day with ground ground being key to my decision. I have enough money in on Bapaume already so hoping for Good ground come March.

Comment

I thought Willie said the softening ground would help Bapaume but hinder Meri Devie. I've backed Meri Devie for this and whilst on the face of it, Sunday's run seemed disappointing, I've gone full circle. She travelled into it and is a good actioned filly who will glide off better ground and Willies post race quote is interesting.

Mullins said: "Meri Devie will improve. She was a bit sketchy jumping.

"She actually probably needed it. I thought she was straight enough but Paul (Townend) thought she might have needed it.

"She'll improve, but whether she'll improve enough to win a Grade One is another day's work."

Market said she needed it and Ruby obviously knew too...

Comment

Originally posted by TheRowebot View Post
            I thought Willie said the softening ground would help Bapaume but hinder Meri Devie. I've backed Meri Devie for this and whilst on the face of it, Sunday's run seemed disappointing, I've gone full circle. She travelled into it and is a good actioned filly who will glide off better ground and Willies post race quote is interesting.

Mullins said: "Meri Devie will improve. She was a bit sketchy jumping.

"She actually probably needed it. I thought she was straight enough but Paul (Townend) thought she might have needed it.

"She'll improve, but whether she'll improve enough to win a Grade One is another day's work."

Market said she needed it and Ruby obviously knew too...
            Interesting, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Bapaume hasn't run a bad race in defeat yet, on ground between Good and Soft, I'll put it another way, for me Mega Fortune runs better when there is cut in the ground, but I don't think he'll get the better of Bapaume on Good. I probably should have said that in the first place ;-)

Comment

What did everyone make of Dinaria des Obeaux? Im perhaps blinded a little by my 16/1 voucher, but I thought it was a very good effort from her, and I took a lot of heart from it. She made a shuddering mistake two out and I thought that would end her race, especially when Meri Devie swept by her. But she was then very game and plugged on really well, seeing off Merie Devie, and if anything, closing again on the front two.

Considering it was only her second run, its probably fair to think she has more improvement in her than the front two, and hopefully there will be plenty more to come in March. Im sure she learnt quite a bit from it.

Faster ground may be a bit of a worry, but there is plenty of hope when you look at the likes of Apples Jade and Alpha des Obeaux etc.

Comment

Master Blueyes surely overpriced at 16's after today? Alan King knows a thing or two about juveniles and the Triumph

Comment

He'd have been a certainty in the FW off 134

Comment

Yep - the 2nd today was beaten 11 lengths and was rated 142! Has to be a real contender especially on decent ground given DDS seems to want cut & im not sure the Irish horses are anything special this year !

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                      Master Blueyes surely overpriced at 16's after today? Alan King knows a thing or two about juveniles and the Triumph
                      Tom Segal in tomorrow's racing post:

"Defi Du Seuil sets the standard in the Triumph Hurdle but not by much now and Master Blueyes has really turned the corner the last twice he’s run over hurdles. He cantered home from a good field yesterday.
                      On soft ground I think Defi Du Seuil would outstay him, but yesterday’s Grade 2 Adnonis Hurdle winner should be second favourite. And if the ground is good on the final day of the festival I would fancy him to win."

Comment

Even off 134 I think you'd have to give Divin Bere an equal shout or even better as he has the potential to improve significantly after just one run for Henderson.

Comment

I thought no there is a real danger DDS goes to the supreme for softer watered ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
                            I thought no there is a real danger DDS goes to the supreme for softer watered ground.
                            So you have trainer and jockey not appearing to be overly concerned about quicker ground, the owner without another serious Triumph candidate and Tom Segal suggesting a horse who has been winning on right-handed/flat tracks should be second favourite and you think it is a good idea to switch a 9/4 favourite to a more difficult race?

Comment

Segal just sick that Charlie Parcs didnt live up to the hype, for me DDS has looked a monster,no way this horse runs in the Supreme and its a myth this horse needs soft, I can see him being one of the easy winners of the week no matter what the ground is like.

Comment

RUNS THAT SEASON - Between 2011 and 2016, only Captain Chris, Taquin De Seuil, Sire De Grugy and Blaklion have won a Festival G1 after having run 5 times in Britain that season.

Defi Du Seuil trying to add his name to that list?

Comment

Working...
                                X