Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Triumph Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely from Mega Fortune. Couldn't be happier with that performance.

Phil Smith knew.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

Phil Smith knew.
      Well done there FM. Will be very hard to beat.

Comment

I think he will absolutely love the hill. Took 25/1 after his run at Christmas but topped up at 10/1 after that performance.

Comment

Probably talking through my wallet bit I wouldnt rule out dinaria des obeaux after that performance made a shocking mistake turning for home lost all momentum yet still stayed on for third. Without the mistake I think she would have finished second. Mega fortune very impressive but should be more improvement from dinaria des obeaux being the least experienced. Meri Devie definitely doesn't look good enough off that and I can't see bapaume reversing the form.

Comment

I am livid I didn't back Mega Fortune today. The ground, the headgear ... I decided I'd just have it as a watching race.

I agree a bit too Taylor... DDO hasn't done her chances any harm.

Would have to say that I would think DDS or CP would be the ones I'd fancy... whenever horses keep beating each other, usually means there isn't a stand out?

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

Phil Smith knew.
              Yes I was keeping my eye on him for the Fred Winter but I remember you saying he would be going for the Triumph. On myself now after the race today. Can't see him finishing out of the money whatever the ground.

Comment

Anyone expect to see the form turn on spring ground? We knew Mega Fortune stays well and the conditions came today. Cheltenham is a very different animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Ferof View Post
                  Anyone expect to see the form turn on spring ground? We knew Mega Fortune stays well and the conditions came today. Cheltenham is a very different animal.
                  Certainly think Mega Fortune would be more at home if it was soft but Cheltenham will be much more of stamina test than in his previous defeats to Bapaume.

Comment

Im not sure Mega Fortune will be as good on the better ground that Cheltenham usually throws up. Davy commented in his betway blog that the more rain the better for him.
                    Soft ground at the festival would only make me consider him in my opinion.

Comment

I think he'll be absolutely fine on decent ground. He's a stayer in the making - exactly what you need for the triumph. The quicker they go the better for him and he'll be powering up the hill when plenty will have had enough.

As you can probably tell, I'm really keen on his chances and will be putting him in plenty of multiples over the next 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by taylorch1990 View Post
                        Probably talking through my wallet bit I wouldnt rule out dinaria des obeaux after that performance made a shocking mistake turning for home lost all momentum yet still stayed on for third. Without the mistake I think she would have finished second. Mega fortune very impressive but should be more improvement from dinaria des obeaux being the least experienced. Meri Devie definitely doesn't look good enough off that and I can't see bapaume reversing the form.
                        Yeah tend to agree, though I'm also thinking does she want 2m 4f. The Triumph is normally a stiff 2miles and some interest there, but I just think she might want further

Comment

The Triumph is a brutal race for 4yo.
                          If you have a staying type then don't fear this trip being too short.
                          The New Course is much more testing than the old course, they climb uphill down the back straight for longer, drop down the hill quicker and have further to climb uphill to the line.
                          For me a big reason why 5yo don't have the speed to win Champion Hurdles...

Comment

I am of the opinion the UK form is stronger... but then, apart from DDS (or) CP, next in the list is Cliffs of Dover.... anything lurking, especially before the Adonis.... something is going to shorten between now and then and as good as Mega Fortune was, you would HAVE to think that a horse they seem to have been trying to hide in the Fred Winter, MIGHT fall short in this race?

Not done enough digging myself, but Evening Hush NRNB 33/1 looks a nice price - although she is unlikely to run. Another 33/1 bet to nothing... would get closer to DDS (and would NEED TO) on better ground though? Thinking out loud...

Comment

Thought paul nichols said last week, didn't think cliffs of dover would make it ??. minor injury ??

Comment

Well I'm fairly sure MF is the best of the Irish - DDS obviously the one to beat. Let's see what the Adoins throws up. If Chari Parcs run here he'll take some beating - he could be special, so much so, I'm tempted with 33/1 for the champion hurdle.

I also thought Cliffs of Dover was struggling to make the line up BC.

Comment

Working...
                                X